Massive Blazer failure.

Guest mikedwood

Guest mikedwood

I go to the range today to shoot my G26 and have two boxes of Blazer 9mm 115 grain in the gold and black box. I'm happy.

On the 34th round the G26 locks up tight. The slide is stuck about an 1/8" back and it ain't moving. I can see brass inside. Dunno if it was a live round or not, I assume it is.

I bring it home and point the barrel at a mirror and hit it with a flashlight. Yup it's a live round. So I take a small screwdriver and flip the extractor back and the slide releases back. Then I have to PRY (< notice the caps) the round out of the barrel. It's a mangled mess.

blazer.jpg

That is what it looked like.

I field striped the G26 and looked it over. It was no worse for the wear so I went back to the range and fired off 100 WWB and finished the box of Blazer (why I don't know) but it did great.

So this scared me I must admit. At 1st I thought it was the Glock but I'm thinking it was the ammo. Any thoughts.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It came from the factory like that. There's no way the Glock did it. Looks like a round slipped through the QC process. It's been known to happen.

Make sure you report it to Blazer and get some free stuff.

Edited by Garufa
Guest marine77

I'm with garufa. I have a 17 model first generation. Have had it now for

about 17 years. It has never failed to go bang, except once. I had reloads

that somebody had done for me a few months back. Been the only time.

It's the ammo. In today's world of high demand ammunition the manufacturers are at 100+% capacity. Hence, sub-par product inspection and quality on the the target stuff. Have heard of Remington UMC having some issues as well. For now I am sticking with PMC and Federal American Eagle.

Glad you and the pistol are ok.

Guest mikedwood

Thanks all.

After I got the round out I called Glock and talked to a tech there. He said they went through several million rounds a year and had several thousand bad rounds over the course of a year.

I sent a contact Email to Blazer and called them but they didn't answer.

I'm glad the gun is OK cause I'd be lost without it. It's my EDC.

All I can figure is the brass had a hanging chad on it that I didn't catch when I loaded it and it ripped when it got slammed in the chamber.

I have to say out of 1,000's of trouble free rounds through my Glock this incident threw me for a loop and a half. I think if a camera had been on me when that round didn't fire, the suprise on my face would have owned youtube for a day or two.

Thanks all.

After I got the round out I called Glock and talked to a tech there. He said they went through several million rounds a year and had several thousand bad rounds over the course of a year.

I sent a contact Email to Blazer and called them but they didn't answer.

I'm glad the gun is OK cause I'd be lost without it. It's my EDC.

All I can figure is the brass had a hanging chad on it that I didn't catch when I loaded it and it ripped when it got slammed in the chamber.

I have to say out of 1,000's of trouble free rounds through my Glock this incident threw me for a loop and a half. I think if a camera had been on me when that round didn't fire, the suprise on my face would have owned youtube for a day or two.

Quote of the day! :)

Guest mikedwood
A "massive" failure would be a double charged round and your Glock kabooms.

If there's even room FOR a double charge in a 9mm case.

- OS

That would be a catasrophic failure.

A massive failure is my Glock locked up tight as a drum and wouldn't cycle a round with the slide locked back an 1/8 of an inch and a live round trapped in there.

Actually as much of the Glock :) as I put out any failure in one of my Glocks is massive at a minimum. But of course this time it wasn't the Glock's fault. I do have to admit my fingers and eyes were OK but my ego took a huge hit.

It still kind of bothers me that the G26 didn't eat that sucker.

Guest 70below

As much as it sucks to get a very occasional bad round, its bound to happen now and then when a company puts out a hundred million rounds a year or so. As long as it happens on my practice ammo, I consider it a good opportunity for FTF drill.

Guest SUNTZU

My Glock regularly feeds and fires peanut butter and jelly sandwiches...everytime I pull the trigger. If a crappy round makes it into the magazine then I don't expect it to feed and fire correctly.

Edit to add: I hope Blazer makes it up to you. I've never had to do this so I'm waiting to see what their response will be.

Edited by SUNTZU
Guest mikedwood

I left a message and Blazer called me yesterday and wanted me to email them the picture of the bullet and the lot number. So I did that. No news yet as to what they think or if they want the bullet or not.

Well, more likely a catastrophic one. :rofl:

- OS

Right :)

Guest mikedwood
As much as it sucks to get a very occasional bad round, its bound to happen now and then when a company puts out a hundred million rounds a year or so. As long as it happens on my practice ammo, I consider it a good opportunity for FTF drill.

Yeah I see your point but this one was a practice drill in gunsmithing with a live round in the chamber. :eek:

I used to have a collection of rounds just like that. They were all pulled out of factory new boxes from most of the major manufacturers.

This can happen with any manufacturer. That is the reason I visually inspect each round before it gets loaded into a mag.

I thought I was doing a pretty good job of that. Apparently not. Whatever caused this HAD to be visible before I put the round in the mag. Now it's taking me 5 times longer to load a mag because I feel the lip of each cartridge all the way around. I think it has made me safer.

Guest mikedwood

Well I got an Email from Blazer and they want me to send them the offending cartridge.

I don't care if they send me 1,000 boxes of ammo, a hat and a tee shirt (would be beyond awesome).

The fact that they want to take a look at it means more to me than anything. I don't know if it's the ammos fault or just some odd thing. At least they want to know, that means a lot to me.