XS Big Dot 24/7 tritium sights

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be interested as well. I almost pulled the trigger on a set last night. Did you see the demo video on their site of the guy hitting the metal silhouette at 75 and 100 yards? maybe not the most incredible shooting you'll ever see, but pretty impressive nonetheless.

I'd be interested as well. I almost pulled the trigger on a set last night. Did you see the demo video on their site of the guy hitting the metal silhouette at 75 and 100 yards? maybe not the most incredible shooting you'll ever see, but pretty impressive nonetheless.

Where did you see them and how much were they?

I got mine for my Glock 33 last week at the Outpost Armory. $120+tax. They wanted $20 to install which is pretty standard now. I called Franklin Gun Shop and On Target and they both said $20. The cool thing about the xs sights is that they come with a punch to knock out the rear sight and a little nut driver to remove/install front sight. I installed in about 30 minutes that night. Haven't been to the range yet but I like them so far.

I've tried these and I hate 'em, they're a gimmick IMHO, the rear sight is just about useless, but don't just take my word for it:pistol-training.com Blog Archive XS Sights: Just Say No

I'd recommend checking out the Ameriglo pro glo front and pairing it with a rear you like, does what the big dots claim and much more... There are a lot of better options that will improve your sight picture over stock, sights that are built only for close-in where you don't need much help doesn't make much sense.

Anyone who can shoot a bit can hit a popper at those distances like that demo vid with NO sights given a few tries...

I really like them. I have them on my Glock 21 and on my Glock 26. I also had them on a Glock 30 I just sold. I bought them from Lonewolf Distributers for $108 after shipping. They are easy to install. Really easy if you know someone with a sight pusher. I like them and think they are great combat sights for fast sight picture acquisition. If you practice as much as Yeager, you probably can be deadly accurate at long distances, but for average folks like myself, I find center body mass at 15 yds sufficient for my needs. To the OP, if you buy the ammo and pay for my range cover charge, I could probably meet you up at ASP in Joelton and let you shoot mine. Send me a PM if interested.

I will say it does take some getting used too. I've had several pistols with standard 3 dot night sights such as Meprolight, Sig Night sites, etc. and these are definitely different. Like others have said, for fast target acquisition I think they're going to be great for me. I've watched those videos, etc, but haven't had a chance to actually shoot with these installed. Hopefully this Saturday I'll make it to the range.

Tell us how it goes after shooting with them... to me, that's the whole problem, the answer will always be "ok", not great, just ok.

Here's why they are kind of a pet peeve of mine:

I'm not just being a "hater"... IMO from what I experienced with them having since gone to different sights... they tend to be good sights for shooters who maybe weren't yet trained into thinking "front sight, front sight, front sight" on the draw or who maybe haven't done much practice getting a flash sight picture... and then there's the "who's sights are brightest?" crowd who seem to like them 'cause they're big and glow in the dark, not really the shooters who are looking for the best sights for their eyes or a perceived sight picture they think might work best for them or improve their accuracy.

The big dots, well, are big... so it's pretty hard not to pick 'em up, that said, trouble is, the dot is so big that it blocks out targets/POA at distances where you really need the sights to help you be precise and hit where you're aiming for assuming you are target shooting as both fun and practice, and with the goal to perfect your skills or get better shooting a handgun.

For the distances where that easy to find huge dot may be an advantage you're probably going to be focused on the target whether you want to be or not and will be point shooting or shooting with a soft-sight focus at best in any real SD emergency... IMO a decent shooter can hit COM out to 7 yards just by drawing and indexing, trigger time and practice will do more then any new sights will.

So, when you go out further, while hitting COM or printing on the silhouette at 15 yards is all the accuracy Shima or someone only interested in an SD sight may be looking for, be sure that's all YOU are looking for as well, because when you try shooting groups at distance with them to iron out any kinks in your technique it will become apparent that you won't be looking for groups smaller than a fist or larger probably... and that you may realize it wasn't such a good deal trading away a real rear sight and being able to see the target at distances that you regularly shoot for practice for a big dot that looks cool but doesn't work as well.

To me, the big dots just put the spotlight on the idea that it's a good idea to put a front sight that's easy and quick to pick up on an SD handgun... I just don't think it's necessarily the right one to choose that's all.

End tirade. If you like 'em, good for you, didn't mean to offend.

My BIL has put them on his Glock 23. I went to the range with him when he first installed his. He actually shot much better with them than he did previously with his old stock Glock sights. At the time, I also was shooting a G23 with stock sights. I simply could not get used to the size of the XS front sight, and shot, ok but not great. I was much more accurate with the stock sights. He came by the house recently and I asked him how he likes them now that he's had them for almost six months. Says he loves them, which seems to follow about 8/10 users from what I've read on different forums.

Oh, yeah. My BIL is 58 years old and wears bi-focals, FWIW.

I like them and use them(not just because they look cool,either:)). They take some getting use to much like anything else. They are NOT a target sight if your strictly using the 19 for target shooting then you should probably go another route. I have used them in a couple classes and for IDPA, they do fine. Also have them on a long gun.

Midway has them for $109 and you can install yourself. Check youtube for the install video.

According to what I've read about them for being a "gun fight" sight and not being good for long distance, then that is what I need. All my handguns are for carry and personal defense, not precision. In the training that I have, in a stressful situation if the target is farther than say 20 yards or so, I don't need to shoot at it, due to the safety issue of what might be behind the target. My precision is with my 22 bench guns shooting flies at 50 yards!:up:I'll get them and if they don't work for me then I'll go with plan B.

The big dots, well, are big... so it's pretty hard not to pick 'em up, that said, trouble is, the dot is so big that it blocks out targets/POA at distances where you really need the sights to help you be precise and hit where you're aiming for assuming you are target shooting as both fun and practice, and with the goal to perfect your skills or get better shooting a handgun.

A common statement made by people who have no idea how to use Big Dots.

As the attached link shows, for fast, close range shots, you put the whole Big Dot COM.

When a more precise shot is needed, you use the very top of the Big Dot for POA.

No part of the target is blocked out any more than "traditional" sights (actually, it's less).

http://www.xssights.com/sightimages.html

Edited by TN-popo
Guest Paulie771

I love them and whole heartily recommend them to people that are willing to practice with them to learn them. It's not like traditional three dots don't have a learning curve, you just already know how to use them now.

I can make hits with my Glock 19 with XS Big Dots at 100 yards on a man size silohuette, and have won money from people that have called me on it. Making long range hits is not hard. Dot the F'n I, front site, touch, press. This isn't rocket science.

Guest Bronker
Does anyone know a gun shop that has these in the middle TN area? TN Gun Country and Guns & Leather don't carry them. I know I can get them online, but would like to see them in person. Thanks

Got mine at Outpost Armory in Murfreesboro (Advertises here).

Then took them to Jeff Walle at Guns and Leather.

I like them for my nightstand gun, but use the standard 3-dot TFO's on my EDC. I'm equally accurate with both sight types ('equal' as in 'not very!')

Guest Bronker
The Outpost installs Glock Big Dots for FREE with purchase. 15 bucks if you bring your own.

There is a price list behind the counter that covers all pistol sight install prices.

No one ever offered me that when I bought them?

Wish I'd known that, would have saved me a lot of money.