Somebody needs to grow a pair

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Begging your pardon, but I've taken women to jail for laying into their husbands, then calling the police when the husband defended himself.

The last one I remember quite well; she hopped on her husband's chest and started beating and clawing his face, while he was asleep on their couch, then called the S.O. when he woke up and proceeded to bounced her almost-through the nearest wall.

She was quite shocked when she was the one who got cuffed and put into the back of a patrol car.

Sorry, but the right to defend one's self in TN isn't based on gender.

I put more people in jail for domestic violence than I can count. Many were guilty of nothing more than having an argument with their spouse and many I would have not arrested under the old laws.

If you feel that hitting your spouse is required to protect yourself then I guess you have to do whatever you are ready to take responsibility for.

The domestic violence laws are wrong. And on top of that they put you in a category with convicted felons as far as firearms are concerned.

Based on my vast experience in responding to these calls and knowing how they go down in court. I would not recommend that anyone lay hands on a family member. Even If you are wrongly accused you could very easily be convicted, and if you happen to be armed when the incident takes place you could be charged with a felony.

Are you a Police Officer? If so you should know that better than anyone.

Men and women both, I am making no distinction. You read something into my statement that wasn’t there.

Begging your pardon, but I've taken women to jail for laying into their husbands, then calling the police when the husband defended himself.

The last one I remember quite well; she hopped on her husband's chest and started beating and clawing his face, while he was asleep on their couch, then called the S.O. when he woke up and proceeded to bounced her almost-through the nearest wall.

She was quite shocked when she was the one who got cuffed and put into the back of a patrol car.

Sorry, but the right to defend one's self in TN isn't based on gender.

J.

My second exwife was that kinda psycho. One night, she decided to slap a Metro cop in my house during one of her episodes. I left her ass in jail until they got tired of putting up with her.

Her 911 calls stopped after that. Sometimes probation really works.

I put more people in jail for domestic violence than I can count. Many were guilty of nothing more than having an argument with their spouse and many I would have not arrested under the old laws.

If you feel that hitting your spouse is required to protect yourself then I guess you have to do whatever you are ready to take responsibility for.

The domestic violence laws are wrong. And on top of that they put you in a category with convicted felons as far as firearms are concerned.

Based on my vast experience in responding to these calls and knowing how they go down in court. I would not recommend that anyone lay hands on a family member. Even If you are wrongly accused you could very easily be convicted, and if you happen to be armed when the incident takes place you could be charged with a felony.

Men and women both, I am making no distinction. You read something into my statement that wasn’t there.

I'm not a cop, but I've seen it more than once. If you have a crazy, violent woman, get rid of her (a Metro cop's advice to me).

I'm not a cop, but I've seen it more than once. If you have a crazy, violent woman, get rid of her (a Metro cop's advice to me).

I agree.

And do it without involving the cops. Violent women (and men) can be good liars and put your freedoms in jeopardy. Do not call the Police to handle your personal business for you.

Guest Jamie

Was. And I've been to court on quite a few domestics. ( Both under the old laws and the current ones. )

And at least in all the cases I'm personally aware of, the initiator of the fight is the one who got punished.

Also... It isn't always the pair that's fighting that calls the police. Had quite a few that were called in by friends, neighbors, the kids, etc.

So dealing with such without the police is not always an option.

Oh, and was your "vast experience" here or in another state?

J.

Edited by Jamie

Sent a polite message to the seller trying to reason with her. Gave a few examples of properly storing the firearm(putting the lock pictured in the ad on the firearm etc.)buying a cheap safe etc. Also explained if there is ammo store it separately away from the firearm, also stated if there is no ammo the gun isn't going to kill anyone. Finally I let her know that if the gun was purchased by her husband and he is the owner she could face criminal charges in the State of Tennessee for theft. Told her also she won't find many anti gun buyers on gunbroker lol. I tried to be polite and to the point without being rude or hateful and get my point across at the same time. I hope she responds I'd like to hear what she has to say.

she could face criminal charges in the State of Tennessee for theft.

I’ve seen this posed here before; is this true? Because in other states I have been in you can’t be arrested for stealing from your spouse; it's a civil situation, not a criminal one. Is this a Tennessee thing? :D

I’ve seen this posed here before; is this true? Because in other states I have been in you can’t be arrested for stealing from your spouse; it's a civil situation, not a criminal one. Is this a Tennessee thing? :D

I wondered the same thing. Tennessee is a community property state, so she already is part owner in the gun. Since there's no registration, she probably isn't doing anything criminal.

I'm not a lawyer, but I've been thru a couple of divorces here.

In Tennessee, theft is divided into “theft of property†and “theft of services.†One is guilty of theft of property “if, with intent to deprive the owner of property, the person knowingly obtains or exercises control over the property without the owner’s effective consent.†T.C.A. § 39-14-103.

In Tennessee, theft is divided into “theft of property†and “theft of services.†One is guilty of theft of property “if, with intent to deprive the owner of property, the person knowingly obtains or exercises control over the property without the owner’s effective consent.†T.C.A. § 39-14-103.

Point is, it not his gun, it's THEIR gun. Marital bliss

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Jamie
In Illinois.

I think the domestic violence laws are pretty much the same. The difference between the two states seems to be in the arrest.

Sorry for being so long about answering this. "Real Life" kind'a got in the way. :D

Yeah, I suppose the domestic violence laws are pretty much the same from state to state now, but what's different is how the courts enforce them.

And I'm sure you know that it doesn't take any cop long to figure out how the judges he sees the most are going to rule, or what they will or will not find acceptable.

As I said, around here, it's the aggressor who generally goes to jail... It might not be the same in Illinois, or even Nashville or some other city here in Tn, but that's how it's handled here.

J.

Guest Sgt. Joe
I wondered the same thing. Tennessee is a community property state, so she already is part owner in the gun. Since there's no registration, she probably isn't doing anything criminal.

This has got me to wondering:rolleyes:.....

If it is I who passes the background check in TN to buy a handgun....how then does the state automatically confer joint ownership of it to a spouse?

It remains MY responsibility to keep it locked and secure not hers, If I leave it out and in her control and something bad happens it is still MY responsibilty , Correct?

I am not trying to "start" anything I am really just wondering as I do understand community property and could relay a funny story concerning such from FL.

But in TN "I" pass the required background check, how then does the spouse really enjoy joint ownership?

I'm also not sayin my wife would not pass the background, heck she has had like one ticket in her entire life I am just a bit confused about the normal property we can buy vs the handguns that require a background check.

If I go into the store and say "I want to buy this for my wife and she is standing there, does not the law require HER to do the background?

Not meant to jack a thread but the question does confuse me.

The lady in the OP states it was bought without her permssion, I kinda doubt the Hubby gave it to her as a gift given that statement. Although it is possible.

Thanks to any who may can offer some insight.

This has got me to wondering:rolleyes:.....

If it is I who passes the background check in TN to buy a handgun....how then does the state automatically confer joint ownership of it to a spouse?

The state isn’t going to automatically give or transfer ownership to anyone. But it’s a civil court (Divorce Court, etc) that will deal with the issue, not a criminal court. Your wife can’t steal your gun and she can’t steal your car while you are married.

It remains MY responsibility to keep it locked and secure not hers, If I leave it out and in her control and something bad happens it is still MY responsibilty , Correct?

No.

But in TN "I" pass the required background check, how then does the spouse really enjoy joint ownership?

I am just a bit confused about the normal property we can buy vs the handguns that require a background check.

The same way she would if she bought it from one of us on the forum…. No background check required.

If I go into the store and say "I want to buy this for my wife and she is standing there, does not the law require HER to do the background?

Yes, but its Federal law, not state law. You would only be in violation of Federal law if you bought the gun for your wife knowing that she can’t legally own a firearm. The state doesn’t require a check on a private sale.

If your wife was a convicted felon and she took your gun; you could call the Police and have her arrested for “Felon in Possessionâ€. She would go to prison and you wouldn’t have to worry about anything…. Until she got out. :lol:

what's yours is hers, and what's hers is hands off.

Don't they explain that in TN when you get married? :lol:

That is exactly the way it went in my divorce.

One plate, one fork, one butter knife and one soup spoon.

I did get to keep my tools, other than that, ended up with a tenth of what I had when I met her.

It took a while to realize I was one heck of a lot happier.