Nashville area malls

Guest Jason

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grapevine Mills Mall close to the Dallas-Fort Worth Airport did have an incorrectly worded 30.06 sign (the Texas Statute for posting) several years ago. I have not been to Dallas in some time, so not sure what the status is of that mall or the Katy Mills Mall outside Houston. I heard that Katy Mills was incorrectly posted (an attempt at the 30.06 sign). Texas is very specific about what is a legal sign because the signs must be in EXACT conformance of the statutes and all over the location so much that it looks distasteful. The concealed handgun law there is roughly ten yrs old, so many businesses at first down there to prohibit CHL's from their property. Folks often think you can just strap on a pistol openly, but that is far from the case in Texas if you want to be legal.

I have yet to visit Opry Mills Mall, since i am not big into shopping. I have to be pretty much forced to go to any sort of store period!

Guest sermon8r
I've yet to see a properly posted sign at any of them... and I've Open-Carried without issues at several (Cool Springs, 100 Oaks, Hickory Hollow).

Hickory hollow is posted in the mall rules but not proper signs.

im supprised you werent harassed.

Guest clutepc
Hickory hollow is posted in the mall rules but not proper signs.

im supprised you werent harassed.

I was curious about that Mall, I've yet to see any signs, I need to look better.

Doesn't suprise me, soon their doors will look like a terms of agreement from a software install..

Guest Hornet Handler

The only place I've seen a proper sign at Opry Mills is going in the mall from Bass Pro shop.

We were at Rivergate mall yesterday and I read there rules sign while waiting. It said nothing about no weapons.

Guest bluecanary25

Went to Hickory Hollow Mall today.

Used the covered parking under Dillard's.

Glass enclosure for escalators: No Signs about prohibiting guns.

Did my shopping. My gun was concealed. ;)

tnroadrunner,

I have recently been to Govenors Mall in Clarksville.

Entered Sears at the automotive entrance.

I did stop and looked for a sign. Double checked, just to be sure.

Lightning did not strike, so I went in....

I rarely use the main entrance to any mall.

Therefore, I am not aware of any restrictions.

It is important to remember that the substantially worded signs must be located at ALL entrances used by the public. I once saw a legal looking sign at St Francis in East Memphis in the parking lot, but the sign was only at one entrance to the parking lot, not all entrances. There were also not properly worded signs on the doors.

Ignorance is the best thing for these folks who try to legally keep us from carrying. Concealed handguns also go un noticed at such locations.

I would recommend to not point out to the Mall management or stores any error in wording or placement of their signs.

However, if they see you are carrying and ask you to leave they are in their right per TN law. Just say, "OK, but I will not shop here again" and depart.

Don't make a fuss about their signs because they might fix them. :lol:

• Administrator

This is going to be long-winded but here goes...

Malls are typically owned by property management companies. My own employer has a number of these companies as clients. These companies are well represented by their lawyers. Lawyers generally are not dumb and these companies usually seek their counsel on things like posting signs, especially when the signs tread on legal issues.

The fact that these malls post in one or two locations (if at all) or post signs with verbiage that is not in keeping with the TCA prescription, suggests to me several things:

#1.) That they post simply to keep the sheep confident in the illusion that they are safe.

#2.) That they knowingly leave loopholes for carry permit holders to walk through.

#3.) That they also give themselves plausible deniability if you end up having to protect yourself (or flip out and kill innocent people before another HCP holder takes you down) because they can always refer the news media back to their one or two signs "prohibiting" firearms.

I have often suspected the same thing. A place I onced worked suddenly

posted "no forearms" sounds around the plant. The HR guy was a friend and taught

Permit classes at the time. When I asked him about it, he siad it was purly a money thing. It lowered their insurance preimiums. His view it was the same as having the non-skid mats at all entrances. Un-officially his view was "concealed" is the biggest part of the "Concealed Weapons Permit". So it was basically a non-issue.

All the more reason to lobby for something to protect employers from lawsuits

resulting from a permit holder using their weapon to protect themselves.

BlueCanary25, I went to the Governors Square Mall in Clarksville today and entered through Borders and I checked and there were no signs except store hours so I carried in the mall and went to Zales and Sears with no problem. My pistol was concealed.

I've been to that Borders store before while carrying concealed. It's been a few months but it was definitely not posted at all.

This is going to be long-winded but here goes...

Malls are typically owned by property management companies. My own employer has a number of these companies as clients. These companies are well represented by their lawyers. Lawyers generally are not dumb and these companies usually seek their counsel on things like posting signs, especially when the signs tread on legal issues.

The fact that these malls post in one or two locations (if at all) or post signs with verbiage that is not in keeping with the TCA prescription, suggests to me several things:

#1.) That they post simply to keep the sheep confident in the illusion that they are safe.

#2.) That they knowingly leave loopholes for carry permit holders to walk through.

#3.) That they also give themselves plausible deniability if you end up having to protect yourself (or flip out and kill innocent people before another HCP holder takes you down) because they can always refer the news media back to their one or two signs "prohibiting" firearms.

Thank you for making this observation and conclusion. You stated it much better than I could have.

Establishments that place non-TCA compliant signs and decals on their doors and storefronts don't care if you are carrying concealed. If you don't make a big deal out of it, they won't. It makes the sheeple feel safe.

A lot of liquor stores are still posting the old signs. If they don't know the difference or have a problem with you legally carrying concealed, find a new store and drop the old place a line about being stuck on stupid. Again, if you don't make a big deal out of it, they won't.

Guest pws_smokeyjones

Establishments that place non-TCA compliant signs and decals on their doors and storefronts don't care if you are carrying concealed. If you don't make a big deal out of it, they won't. It makes the sheeple feel safe.

quote]

Do we really think that a "no guns allowed" sign in any form actually makes anyone feel safer when visiting a store? Those of use who think about this stuff don't count. I'm talking about your average soccer mom - when she see's a sign that says "no guns allowed" does she truly think "oh, thank God, now I will be perfectly safe"? I highly doubt it. I think that everybody and their grandmother is aware that criminals do not care about those signs, if they are posted 100% correctly or not.