Tasco Red Dot on an AR

redfsr

Are Tasco Red Dots good enough to put on an AR? I have one laying around and thought about trying it out until I get an Eotech or better. I need a riser before I can use it but wanted to get some input before I waste my money on the riser.

Thoughts appreciated.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had one on my first AR. It didn't stay long as I quickly prefered some magnification. I wouldn't bet your life on a Tasco, but for some plinking at 100 yards or less they are pretty good. If you already have it, then go ahead and mount her up until you save up for something better. I have had good luck out of scopes priced in the middle of the road, so you don't have to buy the most expensive thing out there to get something reliable. I would just do your research and read up on customer reviews before purchasing anything.

The best scope I've used has been from Bass Pro Shops. It is their Elite Rifle Scope. Held up perfectly on a Remington 700 .308. That's good enough for me!

go ahead if you have no other sights,..beats sighting down an empty rail

On an AR I am planning to build it will have a conventional scope with crosshairs but also a red dot set at 2 O'Clock with an offset mount for close up targets ( under 50-75 yds.) Like one set up for 3 gun matches... risers will add bore offset to close targets but if you don't shoot from behind barricades or over cars you will be fine... unlike a post I saw once where a guy went resting on his hood or roof and forgot he laid out some other gear he couldn't see through his scope,.. yep shot his gear off his car.. think it was a revolver he shot..can't seem to find it now..

The Tasco I have lasted 5 seasons on a 10mm comp gun so I would say it would last on an AR of course if you were going for "Gee Whizz" a C-Mor rail mount would be an option..

couldn't you just buy a set of high rings might be cheaper than a riser

John

Guest gcrookston

as LngRng said, They beat nothing (perhaps by a very slim margin). My soap box is on optics and I believe you get what you pay for.

My experience is you can put $1,000 optics on a $300 rifle and have onehelluva tack driver. However, you can put $300 optics on a $1000 rifle and have a POS that can't hit shampoo

Edited by gcrookston
Guest RangeMstr

My experience is you can put $1,000 optics on a $300 rifle and have onehelluva tack driver. However, you can put $300 optics on a $1000 rifle and have a POS that can't hit shampoo

What he said:D

Guest gcrookston

True story: I bought my 5.56 bolt gun at a rifle range. Guy couldn't hit shampoo at 100 yards with his TASCO 3x9 scope on a bull barreled 5.56 savage. I bought the gun from him for $200. I put some quality glass on the gun, namely a Burris 20x and went shooting... "where did that 2nd round hit?" um, in the hole that first round made, my spotter told me... Made a quarter minute gun out of a crap shoot just with optics.

Be wise and do the same. I get irked by guys buying $1,000+ rifles and skimping on the optics. The glass makes the gun.

Edited by gcrookston

I've got iron sights on it now but want an Eotech in the future. I probably won't be putting anything on it for magnification. I primarily bought it to shoot no more than 50 -100 yards. I just have this red dot lying around and wondered if it was worth spending any money on buying a riser for it so I can co-witness with my iron sights.

the difference in accuracy in a red dot and an eotech is simple,.. the red dot with a small dot ( 1 or 3 MOA _ will get you to 100 yds. on a 6" steel plate the Eotech , at least the few I have looked through, would not due to reticle size/design , neither would a "big dot" tasco ( 8 to 10 MOA ) they just cover too much of the target to be small group precise ... you could ring the steel once you get to know it but it will be a bit of trial and error,.... keep in mind most spiral tubes will out shoot the human behind it...

My Dads HK-91 wears a Tasco small red Dot and he hits steel plates out to 300 yds. his M-4gery also wears a fakecog and he hits at 100

So in summary, if you are planning a short reach rifle then either battery eater will do, it is an AR with a dot, :rolleyes: which fits your goals you have described above.. I have no experience with co-witnessing so I will probably get a set of fold down BUIS "just in case" when I build my AR..

My AR will have an 18" barrel and fill the need for an easy shooter up to about 300 yds. for that I will need glass with cross hairs

for 300 and out ,... .30-06 either my M-1 or a good bolt gun ...

She's is the small block chevy of the gun world,.. make her run like you want her to run, you can always upgrade or change as your shooting style/needs change which is the genius of Eugene Stoner.... modular adaptability...

John

GCrookston : I got a sweet rifle like that but the problem with his was a broken firing pin I do agree that properly mounted quality optics do make the difference when going for single holes though..

Edited by LngRngShtr
Are Tasco Red Dots good enough to put on an AR? I have one laying around and thought about trying it out until I get an Eotech or better. I need a riser before I can use it but wanted to get some input before I waste my money on the riser.

Thoughts appreciated.

I saw risers at Dick's Sporting Goods this evening for about $20.... I never knew they carried them. :) serious.

This thread is timely for me. I have been questioning this very thing for a few days. I want a Trijicon AccuPoint eventually, but I just can't do it right now. I just bought a Pro Mag PM137 BUIS http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ARR162-7.html today, so at least I can go shooting with my new build. I am going to try a cheap BSA red dot scavenged from a crossbow temporarily. I guess as long as it stays zeroed it should work for punching paper.

Does it sit too low to use without a riser?

Edited by Batman

The biggest problem with most cheap red dots is that they get washed out in bright sunlight. Very few cheap red dots work well. I tried numersou and the best, cheapest one is a Bushnell 1x28 Trophy. Make sure you get part number 730131 as it is bright enough for the brightest outside sun. All the other Bushnell red dots do get washed out by bright light. My wife wears one on her 9mm AR and it works great.

There are a few that I like. If you want really small get a Burris Fastfire. They do not wash out in the brightest sun and are auto adjusting making it easy when going from bright areas to dark areas. Also, battery life is actually really good especially if you turn it off. Even if you don't turn it off the battery lasts months. Low light is a difficult because the dot flashes as part of the electronic brightness control but it still works great for what it is.

Another red dot, albeit a little more expensive, is the Millet Zoom Dot. It has the auto adjusting dot brightness but it works much better than the Fastfire. Another great feature is that it has as an adjustable dot size from 1 MOA to 10 MOA. I took one overseas with me and it worked flawlessly except when I had to use night vision in whcih case it ballooned inside the NV. With the dot at its smallest hitting man sized targets at 350 yards was easy and making longer shots was pretty easy as well once I figured out the hold over. The dot intensity is based on outside light and the size is adjusted to what you want making it very usefull for close in work. It is built like a tank and the battery lasted 1300 hours when left on in a area that has some sort of light all the time. I sold it then bought another as soon as I could get another. They are without a doubt one of the best red dots out there if you do not need a NV capable red dot.

Most people are going to say get the most expensive. I say get one you are comfortable spending the money on to try out then if you think you have a real need for one get a decent one. I would have no problems using a cheaper red dot on a range or fun gun but if it was something I might have to trust lives with I would get something with a proven record.

Finally, when buying optics, if it seems to good to be true it is. Aimpoint and Eotech clones are everywhere so be very careful when buying any of those.

Dolomite