MOA rating

Guest Capt. Thunder

Guest Capt. Thunder

I have been attempting to become familiar with the scopes. Several scopes advertise moa's of varing numbers. I've seen 1's thru 5''s. I've even seen a 64 moa.

I have found some articles that explane "minute of angle" or "minute of arc". Are these the same thing? None of the articles clarified what a moa rating, of a scope means.

If anyone has any insight on this i'd greately appreciate it.

Thanks in Advance

Thunder

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest FroggyOne2

MOA is equal to about 1.1 inches at a hundred yards. But most ppl just refer to it as being equal to an inch at 100.. 2 inches at 200, 3 inches at 300 and so forth..

Minute of Arc and Minute of Angle are not the same thing.

Guest FroggyOne2

it means that a scope has 64 moa of movement,, or to say that it has 64 inches of movement 100 yards.. btw what scope are you talking about

Without getting into Trig... there are 60 minutes in a degree. One minute of angle is 1 inch at 100 yards. You need enough adjustment range to take care of the mounting error and the additiontional upward pitch of the bore.

For example, for a 500 yard zero, the bore of a .223 is pitched up around 15 MOA. For a 200 yard zero, it's only pitched up around 4 MOA.

I own several scoped rifles, and all except one has leupold scopes. I've never had a situation where I couldn't zero a scope at normal ranges, especially since I used windage adjustable rings on the last few rifles. Probably not going to be an issue if you zero your rifle using the maximum point blank range zeroing method.

Guest Capt. Thunder

Froggy, several eotechs have a 0-64 moa circle and a 1 moa aiming dot rating.

Smith, that does make sense.

So, would that mean that a 64 moa circle would cover a 64" circle at 100 yrds and 128" at 200 yrds? What would be the practicle application of a 64 moa?

Also, would a 4 moa cover 4" at 100 yrds, 8" at 200 yrds and 16" at 400?

Red dot sights are for quick, snap shooting more than accurate, deliberate aiming. As such, a 64moa circle is designed so that at close range when you put the target into the circle, you'll hit it. Obviously, under 100 yards or so, a standard silhouette target will pretty much fill the circle. The object is to sight the scope so that the point of impact is in the very center of the circle. Usually the circle is used with a central smaller red dot.

MOA can define accuracy with giving the distance. If you use 4†group, then you need to define the distance. A 4“group on a target can look pretty good. That is until you find out it was shot from the 7 yard line. :D

Minute of Arc and Minute of Angle is the same thing with the proper term being Minute of Arc.