Remington 870 Magazine tube nut stuck...help

I have a Remington 870 - 7 shot synthetic. I have had it for a couple years, it's never been fired. I started to strip it down yesterday and the magazine tube nut won't budge. I went as far as to wrap the nut in a piece of leather to protect the finish and use a pair of pliers...no luck...didn't even budge.

Any ideas? I'd HATE to take this to a smith for such a seemingly simple problem.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bart_p

If I am remembering correctly (been a few years), there is a spring loaded ball detent that is in place to keep that thing from coming off under hard use. I used a thick piece of cloth and some vise grips to remove mine. It was not by any stretch of the word easy (and I managed to put a nick or two into the finish), but I got it done.

Good luck to you

Bart

I have synthetic 7 rounder.

Mine doesn't have a nut on mag tube, whole mag tube extension unscrews, then the nut, which holds barrel and slide assembly in place.

Yours not look like this?

870-unscrew.jpg

Mine's showing extra barrel/mag tube brace in this photo.

870-zombie.jpg

If it's same, just making sure you've taken barrel tube extension off first.

If so, and it's the same nut shown, mine came new with it on very tight, yeah, and I used a piece of cloth over it with channel locks to get it free, and still left scratches on it. Seems I might have had to use the channel locks on the mag tube also.

Be sure and oil or grease when you thread both of them back in.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Thanks guys. I'm always hesitant to muscle parts on my firearms but sometimes it's the only option. After some CLP and sitting overnight I was finally able to get it to budge using a pair of channel locks.

OS - That's the exact one that I have. Which light are you using?