Got a hankering for a .17hmr, any thoughts?

seez52

Kinda thinking about a .17 HMR. I'm always needing to dispatch a skunk or some other varmint around the house, and while I've got some .223s, I really thought the .17 might be a nice solution.

I use to think I wanted a .17 remington, but never got into it.

Or, maybe I could also use one of my .223s and load some really light 34 gr. bullets? Using an AR maybe?

Anybody been down this road before?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally tend to think the 17 hmr is overrated. I had one for a while, but I did not care for it. They are accurate and shoot well, but I do not see the niche they fill. I could not really hunt with it because it just tears stuff up. I can dispose of skunks or whatever out to about 75-100 yrds with a .22. Past that distance, you could use a .17 hmr, but I would just use a .223. These are just my thoughts, but I know a bunch of people really like them. To each his own I reckon.

The 17 MachII ammo is cheaper but neither are much better than a 22 Magnum. I got rid of both 17 s. If I am close enough I use a 410 and further away a 223. But generally further away I tend to ignore them as the dogs keep them run off.

Seems like my dogs like playing with them, they come in smelling to high heaven.

Anytime I see one in the daytime I try to pop a cap on him. Shot one Sunday with a .30 carbine. Earlier in the week one escaped me because I couldn't get a bead on him quick enough.

I personally tend to think the 17 hmr is overrated. I had one for a while, but I did not care for it. They are accurate and shoot well, but I do not see the niche they fill. I could not really hunt with it because it just tears stuff up. I can dispose of skunks or whatever out to about 75-100 yrds with a .22. Past that distance, you could use a .17 hmr, but I would just use a .223. These are just my thoughts, but I know a bunch of people really like them. To each his own I reckon.

X2. I've haven't owned one yet, and still might add one to the collection eventually, but for the most part I don't see a need for one, especially if you have a .223. They're too much for small game hunting, and not enough for alot of varmint hunting.

I did not see the need for the 17 HMR when they first came out. I always thought the .22 Mag could do most things better. A friend of mine bought one thinking it was the "be all-end all" yote gun, he believes everything he reads in magazine ads, the first morning I called in a yote in for him he shot it 4 times before I finally put it down for good with my .223. It is a nice gun and very accurate( I bought it from him), but I usually use it for picking off crows that are smart enough to stay out of shotgun range. The ammo is starting to get expensive(but what ammo is not?).

I haven't read much on the terminal ballistics of the .17 HMR rounds, but there are two different bullets out there. The original Hornady plastic tip pretty much disintegrates when it hits. There is also a jacketed hollow point available. I have both, but haven't played with them much.

Everbody pretty much agrees that .17 is too small for a yote, even with decent penetration from a JHP.

i have a marlin .17HMR bull barrel i have set up as a sniper and its pretty strong for just a small cal rifle but it is great on small critters if ya "gotta" wack em. and its pretty inexpensive at walmart too.

Edited by ts.smith
more info
i have a marlin .17HMR bull barrel i have set up as a sniper and its pretty strong for just a small cal rifle but it is great on small critters if ya "gotta" wack em. and its pretty inexpensive at walmart too.

hows the trigger on that Marlin? I had sort of been leaning toward the Savage with their accu trigger.

hows the trigger on that Marlin? I had sort of been leaning toward the Savage with their accu trigger.

The trigger is crisp, but heavy. I replaced mine with a Rifle Basix trigger. Light and crisp, but it's not exactly a drop-in. Safety doesn't work reliably anymore, but the trigger feels great.

The Savage is probably better, but I haven't made the comparison. My 917 was an impulse buy.

highly recomend it for groud hog and smaller. i trade around a lot but my marlin 917s is a keeper. the trigger sucks even after workin on it. this is my favorite 100 yd plinker and varmint gun i've had. i'm puttin a rifle basics trigger on my want list

it's had little done to it. mainly shortened the barrel to 18.75"

DSCN2089.jpg

• 2 weeks later...