Turkey Season, How did you do?

Guest clutepc

He must have been a scapper but that's only skin deep ugly :D,

I'm sure he won't taste like he was missing anything..

11-12" beard!! wonder how old that one is...

Like I said you can't eat the feathers...well i'm sure someone has tried :grouchy:.

Hunting101, still a good bird though. Youall was talking about decoys. I use only a jake now. Because I had my decoys out in my storage building and mice ate a big hole in my hen decoy. Need another bad. Maybe some time this week I'll get one. The jake I killed the other day came right into the jake decoy. Killed him at 25 yards and think I hit him with the shell wad. It was laying right there beside him.

I remember I accidentally shot one of my decoys. 4 or 5 years ago I had a big tom come in double beard one was 12 inches and the other was about 5 inches and 1 1/2 inch spurs weighed 23 pounds my best bird I have ever killed. He came and walked right up to my hen decoy and I had tunnel vision I pulled the trigger and killed the tom and decoy.

It was a blow up decoy at that. I use a blow up hen decoy now and a rubber jake decoy. I guess I might be more carefull well unless I get a shot on another great bird.

Not sure if I posted this but this is how my season started with my bow..

I went to the shotgun after I clearly missed this bird, they were just not coming in closer than this. I think it was just because I'm moving too much, I'm going to try and get one more with the shotgun then a bow for the last.

I did this at 3 speeds and zoomed in, he was a big bird that hurt to have a miss on but that's turkey hunting.

I have the feather I shaved off his butt in my truck as a reminder to stop shooting so low and back!..lol

Even though you didn't get him it was still pretty damn awesome video!

Edited by Hunting101
  • Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hunting101, you said you shot your decoy once. My jake decoy is a blow up and I had to wait for the jake to get a couple feet away from it before I could shoot. I would've done the same thing you did.

Yeah once you shoot a blow up decoy it's pretty much gone. You could always patch it but would look funny with a bunch of rubber intertube patches all over it.

Got this one this morning. It's my first of the season. Maybe my luck is starting to change. 18 lbs. 7 inch beard, and 1 inch spurs. 15 minutes from the time I left the truck till I returned to the truck.

Hell, quicker than Kroger!

Nice one!

- OS

Went to Westmoreland this morning. Wind was blowing like crazy. Had one come in to 80 yards and he is the real nice bird I have been trying to get, but he didn't get that big for being stupid. He wouldn't get any closer but oh well. I do have to say he is one of the most prettiest birds I have ever seen. His fan is huge and the tips of the fan feathers are a pretty yellow color and his head is bright blue. Going to hunt him every weekend until the season closes. I am going to set up on a new location and try and get him as he is coming into the field. I hope I get him so I can show him off not to bragg but to show everyone how beautiful he is. I almost hate to take him but I guess I will get over that LOL! Well I am off to the woods to do a little calling hopefully I won't get blowed away.

Hunting101, yeah bud the wind is been rough as a cob today. I went this morning and one of my decoys blew over. I did call 5 jakes into about 30 yards but didn't shoot. I'm trying to get another good bird. I may regret letting the jakes walk later on. Hope you get the good bird you been seeing.

Hunting101, yeah bud the wind is been rough as a cob today. I went this morning and one of my decoys blew over. I did call 5 jakes into about 30 yards but didn't shoot. I'm trying to get another good bird. I may regret letting the jakes walk later on. Hope you get the good bird you been seeing.

Yeah I hope I get him he is a real nice bird. Only seen 1 hen this afternoon and didn't even hear any gobbling.

I went turkey hunting for the first time this past weekend. We only saw one hen, about 100 yards away. We moved the blind and hopefully I'll get one next time.