Lasers in HCP Class

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest peacexxl

It does depend on where you are taking the course. Instructors where I took mine said that it was best that you qualify however you plan to carry and if that included a laser, so be it.

We don't allow students to use lasers in our class. You need to learn the proper sight picture first....then move onto lasers. What happens when you have to use your pistol in the worst possible way and the batteries are dead, it won't turn on...they're a clod of muck on the lens...whatever.

Sight picture, trigger control...etc. Then worry about the gizmos

We don't allow students to use lasers in our class. You need to learn the proper sight picture first....then move onto lasers. What happens when you have to use your pistol in the worst possible way and the batteries are dead, it won't turn on...they're a clod of muck on the lens...whatever.

good advice...

besides, if they can't pass the TN shoot test w/out a laser, that's pretty scary.... :D

it's waaaaayyy too easy, IMHO.

Guest dart67eb
good advice...

besides, if they can't pass the TN shoot test w/out a laser, that's pretty scary.... :D

it's waaaaayyy too easy, IMHO.

Yeah, you can pretty much poke the holes in the paper with the barrel.

Guest HvyMtl

Hmm, Mine was not poke holes in paper with the barrel...

Lasers would give you an advantage, but I think all should have them, or none...

And, I think using a 22, instead of the firearm you would carry, is a poor idea too.

This is why I used the 45 I carry. (Was funny to hear the plink of the 22's overwhelmed by the blat of my 45...)

Guest Sgt. Joe

We had two in our class flunk the shooting part using 357 mag revolvers?

One passed the re-fire and then flunked the written test.

Very hard for me to see how that could be done, but it happened.:hiding:

I am not an expert by any means but I had never before fired the PPK I used and still scored 48-48.

We were also told to use what ever you intended to carry but it was not required. I dont remember the question on lasers being brought up nor anyone using them.

I personally feel they should not be used to qualify because as has been said......what are you going to do if for some reason they dont work when you need them?

I currently dont have any lasers but did order a laserlyte for my SR9, but if I can not use the iron sights that are bulit in it, they will be for sale quick.

EDIT: I only used my PPK because at the time that was all I had.

Actually, the laser question was for my wife. I'm staying inside the 7 ring at 50' with my XD .40 with the stock sights. She'll be shooting with her Walther P22, and I'm having a hard time hitting the giganto-target at 50' with that one. She's going to struggle, I'm afraid. If the laser would have been allowed, It would have given her more confidence that she can pass. She's worried about the 50' part. We'll see how it goes. Class is Saturday.

Edited by monkeylizard
Guest crotalus01

Trust me, if she cant pass the shooting test required in TN, she does NOT need to be carrying.

That is Not an insult, it is truth.

Having said that, P-22s are not known for their accuracy. You may want to see if you can rent her a Browning Buckmark (If not, the TN test is easy enough to pass even with the P-22 but it may help her confidence).

Guest crotalus01

Sorry but had to add just saw the YOU are having trouble hitting the 50 target - you are probably pulling high in anticipation of the 'kick' that is not there with the .22....

Guest rockbottom12

if you hit the early ones the last two distances dont matter if i remember right. you only have to hit 36 i believe.

i dont see how you fail with a 357. you can only count 26 bullet holes and one REALLY BIG ONE. hmmmmm. with the first thee sets there was only 1 hole on my paper.

Ooh, that makes a difference. She's been doing fine at 10 yards (30 feet). So this may be a non issue. I heard it was 3 yards, 7 yards, and 50 feet. Seemed to me like quite a jump from 7 yards to just over 16.6 yards. 36' would make it 12 yards and that's much more managable. She shouldn't have a problem then.

Guest Patty

Target shooting is all that is being done to get a HCP. Learning to target shoot can be taught different ways. Using a laser is a good way to learn. Many of these so called instructors are good shooters to begin with. And it is just their opinion that they are expressing. If the guidelines from the state will allow you to use a laser, and that is what you want to do, and there are plenty of instructors that are willing to allow you to use one, then I would. Using a laser can and does make sense, will it make a expert a better shot, I don't know. Will it help a novice align up, it very well should.

Target shooting is all that is being done to get a HCP. Learning to target shoot can be taught different ways. Using a laser is a good way to learn. Many of these so called instructors are good shooters to begin with. And it is just their opinion that they are expressing. If the guidelines from the state will allow you to use a laser, and that is what you want to do, and there are plenty of instructors that are willing to allow you to use one, then I would. Using a laser can and does make sense, will it make a expert a better shot, I don't know. Will it help a novice align up, it very well should.

+1

lets make no assumtions here, the HCP test is not a training course on how to shoot. If you use a laser and qualifiy I see no problem, I think its worse to use a weapon you wont carry than to use a laser on one that you will. Plus Im no expert but Im surely no novice, but I still was nervous during the qualification, so I say take the class where she can use the laser if she is nervous, it sure makes things easier

Yes because everybody taking the HCP course is a novice shooter who is just learning how to shoot :hat:

What about those shooters who use the threat focused shooting method?

More importantly, for the TN HCP you're just trying to see if they can hit the target, it seems that how ever they plan to carry is how they should be encouraged to qualify.

This is like saying you should be forced to quality with a revolver before moving onto an automatic pistol, because revolvers are more reliable.

PS> For the record I don't even own a laser for any of my pistols :D

Guest TnRebel
She did just fine w/o the laser today. I was very proud of her.

You guys were right. If anyone fails that, they have no business carrying a handgun.

congrats to her , me I'm old school from the hills of east Tennessee and point shoot all ways have and always will the Marine Corps tried to beat it out of me and couldn't , still fired sharpshooter with the 1911 45

and expert with the M-14

Guest MrChicken

At the range I use, the HCP class is also used as the basic class for all subsequent classes offered by the range. The shooting techniques you learn in that class carry through all the way through the advanced courses.