Beginner .22

I suppose somebody somehwere can shoot that kind of group with a .22.

Please do take pics if he does it again. I am curious as to what ammunition he was using too.

I have to take some pictures of the folks here at CRC during .22 benchrest. You would not believe the groups they get. They get really upset if they don't make one ragged hole. Simply amazing.

Aside from slowing down after 300 or so feet....a good target .22 will shoot as good as any rifle made...including the 80# block actions.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to take some pictures of the folks here at CRC during .22 benchrest. You would not believe the groups they get. They get really upset if they don't make one ragged hole.

how many shots do they take at an individual target in these ragged hole groups?

I have found no ammo that does not produce a flyer now and again.

how many shots do they take at an individual target in these ragged hole groups?

I have found no ammo that does not produce a flyer now and again.

It isn't quite that simple....one ragged hole is hard to measure when you have to make 25 shots. Thus they are done on individual targets.

joefr2500x350.jpg

The above is a perfect score, but a winning card is often very close. Don't know why it is so hard to believe that a rimfire gun can't produce the accuracy of a centerfire one...every benchrest .22 competition every weekend across the country does it. If you are in Nashville...drop buy the Gallatin Gun Club to see them shoot. Last I heard they are still competing up there.

The above is a perfect score, but a winning card is often very close. Don't know why it is so hard to believe that a rimfire gun can't produce the accuracy of a centerfire one....

I have never seen it done is all I am saying. Was that target at 100 yards? If so I am impressed, very impressed.

550 value pack of Federal to start with. That should get me going, then I'll switch to the pricier stuff.

I ordered a scope. Pentax GameSeeker 4-12 x 40.

The Federal will get you started but I am guessing you will soon be frustrated with its accuracy. Find some 40 grain bullets, you will like them better. I order target grade rounds off the internet and they run from 30 bucks a brick to over 50 but the accuracy vastly improves with them. But anyway it looks like you have a good start to things. Keep us posted as to how well the rifle and you shoot.

You may want to keep an eye out for FIOCHII .22 ammo. I was in Chattanooga last year and happened up on a case of match grade ammo. It was cheap and it shot so well, my wife has since shot it all up! she wouldn't use the cci, winchester or any other ammo while she was plinking.

Oh, and this is HER rifle. the one I'm not allowed to touch now that she has it configured to her body.

:hiding:

I bought it, but the closest I get to it is to reload her magazines and call her shots through a scope..:P

julies10-22001.jpg

So the scope arrived yesterday. erm.....I said beginner .22 rifle. Why didn't you guys tell me I needed something to attach the scope to the rifle?

Actually, I just assumed scopes came with the mounting hardware. Apparently not, and it makes sense now that I see it. And when you guys were talking about rings earlier, I thought you meant some kind of ring shaped iron sights so you could use those w/o looking through the scope...:shake:

Any recommendations on rings for a Savage MkII bolt with a Pentax GameSeeker scope?

Your gun more than likely just has the pre-drilled/tapped holes for scope mount bases. The reason I know this is because I just bought the same gun(standard Savage Mark II). If yours doesn't have the bases already attached to the gun(or didn't include them), then you will need some bases to mount your scope rings onto. What you will need is Weaver #16 bases. These are the ones that worked for mine, so they should work for yours. (You'll need two, they only come 1 base to a pack) Link...

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=360914

Then here is the style rings that I got on mine that attach to those bases.....

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=216847

Hope this helps!

Edited by Bubbatn

I believe either will work, the 16's are just what my local gunshop had in stock. The #16's state they work for the Savage 93F, which is basically identical to the Mark II, the 93 is just in WMR round vs. the .22lr of the Mark II. So i'm assuming the receivers are basically identical(aside from chamber diamter? All I know is that they work on mine, I made sure they tried them on one of the other savages they had in stock before I got them(after I had already bought the gun). Either way, A 24 or 16 should work for you.

• 2 months later...

Lazarus, come forth!

I've been a bit distracted, what with 5 feet of water at the house a week after my last post. I finally got the scope mounted on some #24 mounts and Leupold rings. I took it to the Stones River range on Saturday. No wind to speak of.

First, I think I'll add a bipod. That should make it much easier. Everyone else had one or a bag. I had neither. I know I looked like the n00b that I am. I'll post a pic once I mount that.

Second, I need some help figuring out how to adjust the scope. I was shooting at 50 yards and I was aiming about 12" left and 18" high for the rounds to hit the target. So the scope is high and left of the barrel. the scope has knobs on the top and right side. I adjusted them as far as they'd go, and that's when I got to the 12" and 18". Turning the knobs the other direction made it worse.

the bi pod is nice but I find I get better accuracy using some sort of bag. Currently I use a cornhole bag on top of my ammo box. Rifles sit real nice in it and I do not get the wobble I get from a bipod. Shorter legs on a bipod help with wobble too. I am going to break down and get a real "made for shooting" sandbag one of these days. But the bipod is more than fine for plinking.

I think it all comes down to ammo and properly squeezing the trigger.