Ashland City ADA not NFA friendly

Guest ETS_Inc

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
Maybe this has been covered, but I'm sure I heard tennessee has a MUST SIGN policy unless they have knowledge of the person to commit a crime, did the person not mention that when he was told he was denied? That should be something the sheriff knows, and unless the sheriff is saying that person can't get a signature he is breaking tennessee law. Shouldn't be much more than showing him the law and having him sign. Does noone on here have the TCA code showing the must sign in it? I haven't read it, just heard about it last year.

TN has a must sign law. Contact John Harris @ http://www.harrislawoffice.com/content/areas_of_practice/tennessee_firearms/machine_guns.htm

http://www.tennesseefirearms.com/ for help/info

Many local law enforcement officers, particular since the early 1980's, have simply refused to sign these forms often because they did not believe that individuals had a right or a need to own these types of weapons. Federal law did not require the CLEO’s to sign the forms but the ATF took the position that it would not process the transfer requests without the CLEO certification.

Thus, another relatively recent change in state law was brought about because of repeated instances throughout Tennessee where the chief law enforcement officers (the sheriff in most counties) would simply refuse to sign off on Federal NFA applications by individuals for the transfer of registered firearms. As a consequence, the Tennessee Legislature, with practically no debate, enacted a law which now requires the “chief law enforcement officers” - generally the sheriffs but in Davidson County the chief of police - to sign these forms within 15 days of a request.

§ 39-17-1361. Purchase of firearms; requests for documentation from law enforcement officials (2004)

The sheriff or chief of police of the city of residence of a person purchasing any firearm, defined by the National Firearms Act, 26 U.S.C. § 5845 et seq., shall execute within fifteen (15) business days of any request all documents required to be submitted by the purchaser if the purchaser is not prohibited from possessing firearms pursuant to §

Edited by vff
  • 1 month later...

This sems to be an issue with every new sheriff. I was the lucky one last year to ask the new sheriff to sign for a M16. He called me and asked what the paper work was for ( I had to leave it with his secretary). I told him that I was a collector and that I like to shoot full auto. He said that he would call the ATF and he would get back with me. Later that afternoon the Form 4 was signed. Since then he has been really cool.

Guest Major Pain

Almost the same situation in Benton Co. I just sold my Mac 10 that I had for many years and the Sheriff told me he would sign for the MG but not the suppressor. Since I did not have a suppressor no problem. Sooner or later someone will want one then we'll see what happens here.

• 10 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I see this an old thread ,but was wondering if anyone knew how this turned out with the ada. I live in the county and was just wondering if this was resolved

Guest crotalus01

Frank told me the LEO never would sign and the guy didnt want to deal with the hassle so he went the Trust route and bypassed all the drama with the LEO.