AK barrel thread question

Guest no_masters

Guest no_masters

I just bought a AK 47 and found that the threads on ground down on the end of the muzzle.

I was wondering if it would be possible to take it to a gunsmith to get them to try and put new ones on there?

Also what should I anticipate the cost of getting this done, I am trying to decide if it would be cost effective to pursue this option or just keep it ground down and not add a flash hider.

Edited by no_masters
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with mgjohn, a pinned flash hider is probably your most feasible option at this point. Good luck, and some before and after pics would be nice.

"The way to anger a conservative, is to lie to him. The way to anger a liberal, is to tell him the truth". Theodore Roosevelt

Guest KarlS
are these available for hte chinese mak-90 norinco

The only sure way to find out is to measure the outside diameter of the barrel. I read somewhere that the Bulgarian would work. Don't take this as fact until you measure.

Are you sure that your threads were turned down on your MAK? I have one with a 94 date on it. From all I read the late 93's and all 94's had turning marks that extended the length of the barrel. These supposedly never had threads that were removed so they are all set to thread at normal 14-1 lh. If turned down you should be able to go 1/2x28 rh. Can someone out there that has done this verify for us?

I have 2 NHM's and both had threads. One is under a fixed muzzle nut and pinned. I have to drive the front pin out of the FSB to remove the detent pin and the nut will just screw off. The other had a 2" barrel extention tack welded over the threads. A quick 2minutes with a dremel and off it came.

There's a ton of info out there on MAKs. If you attempt yours before mine let me know how you make out. I'll do the same.

Edited by KarlS
add

Check the outside diameter of the barrel first to determine how much material you have left. .500" and less, you probably need to thread for 1/2 x 28 anything over that and you can probably go with 14 x 1. The pin on flashhiders suck and you run the risk of loosening after extended fire.

Edited by 10Kilr
Guest 1817ak47
The pin on flashhiders suck and you run the risk of loosening after extended fire.
x2 and they don't always fit tight, I had one that came with mine and hte bullets hit it upon exit:poop:

go here:

KA-1230TU

this is a little known but amazing FH/Brake.

They will rent you the tool for $10 to fit the brake and it simply pins on. completely removeable once installed, but won't move unless you want it to.

very effective at suppressing comm bloc ammo flash.

I'm very happy with mine.

also, I should note, that when put in the jig for the pin setup, you will still preserve the option of threading at a later date, should you choose to do so.

not sure what AK platform you are referring to.

mine are MAK. when originally questioned about fitment, they replied very quickly the following:

Should fit the MAK90 correctly, most of them have the .555" diameter muzzle. I would recommend measuring the muzzle to confirm however, Norincos imported around that time sometimes had the threads cut off in a rather quick/inaccurate manner to get through the new import regulations that were being passed at the time. There were some of them that were "stuck on the boat" and were shipped before the laws passed and arrived after the laws passed so they had to be modified on this end to meet the new restrictions. Those ones will be all over the place as far as dimensions.

Another option is

CNC Warrior

they sell all the tools to thread, but part of the problem w/ a lot of AK's, particularly the chinese, is there may not be enough meat left at the muzzle to get good threads cut.

ymmv