A Disaster Of Mega Proportions Brewing In Gulf

Guest KarlS

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 6.8 AR
Three mile island didn't kill anybody. It's about the Russians.

After rereading the post, they weren't using "small" nukes. They mentioned 1 1/2 times the Hiroshima bomb, which was around 20 kilotons. I also gather that they're sinking the bombs into the ground next to the well. A depth of 1.5 km was mentioned. That would probably work like a champ, and the radiation would probably contained too.

The whole problem with this thing, to begin with, is that the water pressure at that depth is better than 2200 psi.

I'd like to know about this using nukes, myself, but with a device the size

they say they used and if the pressure at that depth is 2200 psi, it seems that it would act like an underwater earthquake and create more havoc

topside and may not seal the leak, anyway.

Their record of radiation safety and ours is like night and day. TMI is no

comparison to what happened at Chernobyl.

Aren't they going to start filling it with concrete or mud, anyway? That's what I understood was a normal practice.

they say they used and if the pressure at that depth is 2200 psi, it seems that it would act like an underwater earthquake and create more havoc

Aren't they going to start filling it with concrete or mud, anyway? That's what I understood was a normal practice.

If they drill deep enough into the sea bed to keep the radiation from getting into the water, it could work without contaminating the water. Big if.

Note that if the water pressure is over 2200 PSI, the pressure in the well has to be much greater to spew that much oil. I'm guessing they have the well pressure closely estimated. The top kill may be more straightforward than the stuff they have tried before. We'll know in s few days.

BTW... I think the radiation release from a 30 kiloton nuke would be as bad as Chernobyl, but the point I was trying to make was about the Russian's poor track record at containing radiation. After reading again, I realized that they were talking about burying it.

Agreed... you would think that an underground blast on the seabed could easily create a katrina sized storm surge. We know how that worked out the first time around.

Guest 6.8 AR

Even though BP has been getting a lot of bad press, lately, for the leak numbers, which may be true, I still think BP will get this under control hopefully without using a nuke. The thing may be feasible, but it might also be a reason to never drill in the gulf, politically speaking. I'm still rooting for BP. It's a mess that will set back oil production and cost them and others for decades, as it is. The use of a nuke means government intervention in a way I think our government is not able to do. They may have been researching in uses like this at OR, Sandia, etc., but I've never heard of it. Somehow I

doubt BP would trust the Russians to do the job.

Interesting, though, isn't it?

Guest Jamie

I think they just need to plug the hole with politicians and oil execs... After all, it's about time those folks served some useful purpose, isn't it?

Just gotta be sure to pack 'em in real tight, so they don't float back to the surface.

J.

Even though BP has been getting a lot of bad press, lately, for the leak numbers, which may be true, I still think BP will get this under control hopefully without using a nuke. The thing may be feasible, but it might also be a reason to never drill in the gulf, politically speaking. I'm still rooting for BP. It's a mess that will set back oil production and cost them and others for decades, as it is. The use of a nuke means government intervention in a way I think our government is not able to do. They may have been researching in uses like this at OR, Sandia, etc., but I've never heard of it. Somehow I

doubt BP would trust the Russians to do the job.

Interesting, though, isn't it?

I'm rooting for them as well. You hear a lot of crap from the commentators (aka gassbags), but the fact is, the working enviornment is much more hostile than outer space. Humans can't go there. i have some hope for the top kill. Has BP spent time covering their butts intead of ours? I think we'll find that they have.

The sane poeple in the government, one both sides of the aisle, have not seriously considered stopping offshore drilling. They are going to make sure it's safe.

I expect the failsafe protocols to change on the backflow preventers, and I expect the government to tighten up on routine maintenance and inspections.

Note that the failsafe protocol on this well was NEVER satisfied.

I think they just need to plug the hole with politicians and oil execs... After all, it's about time those folks served some useful purpose, isn't it?

Just gotta be sure to pack 'em in real tight, so they don't float back to the surface.

J.

Those guys are too greasy, and there's too much pressure. They would just squirt right back out.

Guest Glock23ForMe
I thought we had a thread about tire plugs already?

First you have to put the head of the politician in your mouth and bite it off... Figuratively speaking.... :popcorn:

Guest SUNTZU
First you have to put the head of the politician in your mouth and bite it off... Figuratively speaking.... :P

What was that?! :rofl:

3261c003.jpg