A Disaster Of Mega Proportions Brewing In Gulf

Guest KarlS

Guest SUNTZU

The guys in the video said that no one wanted to use what they're offering. Lots of money in those contracts. Gotta "create" jobs or something.

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest KarlS
First try with containment dome has failed.

Methy hydrate crystals gumming up the works and making dome too buoyant.

The good news continues from down there. :D

- OS

Doesn't sound good. The prospects of slowing this down soon are slim unless they get this to work.

"I wouldn't say it's failed yet. But what we attempted to do last night didn't work," said Doug Suttles, BP's chief operating officer, referring to the Friday night dome placement.
Guest 6.8 AR

That containment dome is a good idea. Just because they had a problem with the first try, doesn't mean they won't succeed. At least they have people thinking on their feet.

Good luck, willis68. I know you are:D

That containment dome is a good idea. Just because they had a problem with the first try, doesn't mean they won't succeed. At least they have people thinking on their feet.

Good luck, willis68. I know you are:D

I'm not counting them out yet. They had an unknown quantity that's now known. The question now is whether they just have to change their deployment methods, or whether they have to modify the hardware.

Earlier in thread mentioned that this cure might be as bad as the disease.

Found this on another site, I guess it's accurate (no source given):

"The following is taken from the Material Safety Data Sheet of the dispersant being employed; COREXIT® EC9527A

**EMERGENCY OVERVIEW**

WARNING

Eye and skin irritant.

Repeated or excessive exposure to butoxyethanol may cause injury to red blood cells (hemolysis), kidney or the liver.

Harmful by inhalation, in contact with skin and if swallowed.

Do not get in eyes, on skin, on clothing. Do not take internally. Use with adequate ventilation.

Wear suitable protective clothing. Keep container tightly closed.

Flush affected area with water. Keep away from heat.

Keep away from sources of ignition - No smoking.

May evolve oxides of carbon (COx) under fire conditions.

PRIMARY ROUTES OF EXPOSURE : Eye, Skin"

Fortunately, we've only dumped about a hundred thousand TONS of the stuff so far. :lol:

- OS

Earlier in thread mentioned that this cure might be as bad as the disease.

Found this on another site, I guess it's accurate (no source given):

"The following is taken from the Material Safety Data Sheet of the dispersant being employed; COREXIT® EC9527A

**EMERGENCY OVERVIEW**

WARNING

Eye and skin irritant.

Repeated or excessive exposure to butoxyethanol may cause injury to red blood cells (hemolysis), kidney or the liver.

Harmful by inhalation, in contact with skin and if swallowed.

Do not get in eyes, on skin, on clothing. Do not take internally. Use with adequate ventilation.

Wear suitable protective clothing. Keep container tightly closed.

Flush affected area with water. Keep away from heat.

Keep away from sources of ignition - No smoking.

May evolve oxides of carbon (COx) under fire conditions.

PRIMARY ROUTES OF EXPOSURE : Eye, Skin"

Fortunately, we've only dumped about a hundred thousand TONS of the stuff so far. :lol:

- OS

I read BP refused to release which chemicals they're using. Did the information leak?

BTW... not sayin' the stuff isn't toxic, but the MSDS on a lot of industrial strength chemicals are that scary before they're diluted.

Edited by mikegideon
I read BP refused to release which chemicals they're using. Did the information leak?

BTW... not sayin' the stuff isn't toxic, but the MSDS on a lot of industrial strength chemicals are that scary before they're diluted.

I don't know...I'm on dialup for another couple days, can't do much real research surfing...

I can't think of hardly anything that dumped in quantitites of 100,000 tons or more that couldn't have anything but a detrimental effect. How much, who knows? Hell, even that much more fresh or salt water in some brackish environments would change the ecosystem.

I'd posit that as time goes by, we'll find that many human ailments that seem to have become more prevelent in the population will be undeniably linked to various chemical exposures in our water and food. Once we can quickly see changes in genes and coordinate exact causal effects accurately, will likely be a lot of Doh's there, just as obvious as cigarette smoking to disease, obesity/empty carbs/sugar to diabetes, etc.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
I don't know...I'm on dialup for another couple days, can't do much real research surfing...

I can't think of hardly anything that dumped in quantitites of 100,000 tons or more that couldn't have anything but a detrimental effect. How much, who knows? Hell, even that much more fresh or salt water in some brackish environments would change the ecosystem.

I'd posit that as time goes by, we'll find that many human ailments that seem to have become more prevelent in the population will be undeniably linked to various chemical exposures in our water and food. Once we can quickly see changes in genes and coordinate exact causal effects accurately, will likely be a lot of Doh's there, just as obvious as cigarette smoking to disease, obesity/empty carbs/sugar to diabetes, etc.

- OS

Agree on all points. I also agree with a sign I saw in a bar one time... "If you don't drink, smoke, or have sex, you don't live longer, it just seems like it" :lol:

Maybe when they master genetics, they'll stop trying to cure cancer the way Congress tries to cure the country.

I figured it was mass quantities of Dawn dish washing detergent. Works great on grease and is not harmful to septic systems. And the Gulf is sort of a septic system.

It is (nitrogen cycle and all that), but you don't want to get any in your aquarium.

i do not understand how throwing mud and crud at the well is going to stop the flow.

I know what they are saying but I do not see it working.

We've finally found something in Dixie that duct tape won't patch.

- OS

Well, have they tried duct tape?

:lol:

This hits close to him as we have/had a beach vacation planned to the gulf late this summer - I suspect that by that time the beaches will be in terrible shape.