outdoor places to shoot/ east of knoxville?

Guest tntrucker

Guest tntrucker

Does anyone know of anywhere to shoot east of Knox.. I've recently moved , so it's a long drive to Norris (esp. if you get there and it's crowded). Does anyone know of anywhere between Knox and Tri-Cities.

Edited by tntrucker
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Twra has a rifle range in Knoxville that has short distances on it. I've seen people there shooting pistols. Its only a few bucks too.

5.50 for 2 hours.

100 yard range.

Bench only (sit down)

For "self defense" pistol practice, not the best, as first target stand is at about 15 yards or more.

- OS

5.50 for 2 hours.

100 yard range.

Bench only (sit down)

For "self defense" pistol practice, not the best, as first target stand is at about 15 yards or more.

- OS

And if you go with OhShoot or Mike.357 to the Knoxville range (John Sevier) you can have great fun watching them get scolded. ;)

Edited by Garufa
And if you go with OhShoot or Mike.357 to the Knoxville range (John Sevier) you can have great fun watching them get scolded. ;)

Don't leave out 70below.

He also talks too loud for people to hear their guns discharge.

- OS

Guest Dennis

I am interested in a place to shoot my black power rifles near Pigeon Forge. Most indoor ranges will not let you shoot black powder. Also, some ranges require that you join a club. Can anyone recommend a public range near the Pigeon Forge area? Dennis

I am interested in a place to shoot my black power rifles near Pigeon Forge. Most indoor ranges will not let you shoot black powder. Also, some ranges require that you join a club. Can anyone recommend a public range near the Pigeon Forge area? Dennis

Just nothing around, I'm afraid, cept maybe the private club in Gatlinburg you have to join, dunno how much.

Absolutely no idea closest place to do it from PF.

- OS

OK thanks, found the John Sevier Hunter Education Center which is only 35 miles that will work for me.

Cool, would have mentioned that or Norris, but didn't know you wanted to drive that far. 'Bout 40 miles from PF, depending, but no biggie.

- OS

• 3 years later...
Guest Mr Lagrange

Sorry to bump an old thread. New to the site, new to the area. I'm looking for a place to shoot outdoors, on open public land. I've been looking over the TVA undeveloped public lands map and I don't see many promising spots. Would anyone be willing to throw me a bone and tell me about the local secret spot, if such a place exists? Thanks in advance! 

Technically TVA doesn't allow target shooting on their land so you would be doing it at risk.  Back in the late 1980s and early 1990s there were a thousand or so acres of TVA land around Watts Bar Lake near Spring City that was full of jeep roads and ATV trails and people were always shooting out there, but its all been posted with a bunch of rules now and all of the trails are grown over. 

I gave up on trying to find open public land and just joined Oak Ridge Sportsman's Association....great facility.

ORSA is on my to-do list.Loudon FOP is a convenient and uncrowded outdoor range on most weekdays, but jammed on Saturdays (must arrive early or plan on waiting). FOP is also closed on major holidays. 100 Yd max distance and a nice hike through the woods to change targets. Cost is minimal - $50 per year to FOP Lodge #21. I'm not aware of any restrictions on firearms. This is our local LE range. 

ORSA is the closest to me being that I live in fabulous Roane County, I would like to go there and see how it is before I join. I know 1 or 2 members there but I haven't had a chance to meet up with them to go shoot. I have a new 308 that I want to stretch its legs to at least 200 yards. Right now the farthest I have is like 40 yards.

Is the Erwin area east enough? Years ago, there was nice range just north of Erwin. I forgot the name of that town, but the range

was pretty nice. Between Erwin and Johnson City. Someone up in the hills ought to know about it.

You're likely thinking of the public range at Sciota, but I think Mr Lagrange—who has posted in an old thread—is asking about places closer to Knoxville.

I live in the area east of Knoxville. Only outdoor range I have been to is Bubbling Springs. Not much to it really, a couple of benches with netting set up to place your targets at different ranges. There's a box you drop off a couple of dollars for the range fee, I think it was 3.00 but I don't really remember. Nice and cheap way to shoot some outdoors, the only down side would be if there were a few people there, you might be waiting for a bench.

Outdoor places to shoot in East Knoxville?  Hmmmm  Magnolia Ave, Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd, I believe I read often of shootings in those areas, so I guess there is outdoor places to shoot, at least others do!  :rofl: