Which 1911 and why?

Guest mac_05evo

Guest mac_05evo

Need help on picking my first 1911. I've been doing tons of research and shopping but the choices are overwhelming with what all is out there. I think I already know which one I'm going with and what the general consensus will be but just wanted to check.

Kimber Pro CDP II or Dan Wesson Classic Bobtail? Price difference in null. I've found the Kimber locally and it felt good in my hand but haven't had the opportunity to find the DW locally (I know it is a discontinued gun).

Thanks!

Edited by mac_05evo
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would guess it depends on what extra's you want the gun to come with.

All things being euqal buy what costs less.

I prefer a GI style 1911, if JMB wanted other parts he would have invented it that way. But thats just me.

Guest mac_05evo
The CBOB. You can probably find one on GB or GA. There's a locator thread as well on the DW subforum on this 1911 site. This is the site I used to bone up on 1911's before taking the plunge. I was sold on the CBOB and still am.

1911Forum - Powered by vBulletin

I've been looking on GB but had no luck thus far. I just joined the 1911Forum the other day and will continue to read up on them. Thanks for your input.

I prefer a GI style 1911, if JMB wanted other parts he would have invented it that way. But thats just me.

The CBOB would probably work out to be cheaper since I'd be buying it online (no tax). Price per gun before any fees/taxes is within a few dollars of each other, however.

Isn't that a bit like saying that if Henry Ford wanted other parts he would have invented the Model T that way?

Technology changes things.

Isn't that a bit like saying that if Henry Ford wanted other parts he would have invented the Model T that way?

Technology changes things.

that is not a good parallel. What has changed on the 1911 since 1911

that really matters? Some sight technology maybe?

that is not a good parallel. What has changed on the 1911 since 1911

that really matters? Some sight technology maybe?

I don't know, I think the car analogy is a pretty good one. But I would say it is like a stock car verses performance mods that make the car faster and turn better.

An ambi wider safety will help if you are forced to shoot week hand and if your hands are wet you can find it and disengage it easier. Plus the wider area lets you ride your thumb there helping to manage the recoil.

A match barrel will of course help with accuracy as long as it is fit well and some have graduated rifling that will lessen the amount of cam in the gun.

20 or 30 LPI cuts on the front strap and main spring housing helps with your grip and will enable faster follow up shots and better control in general.

Night/better sights..........well, self explanatory.

Most aftermarket grip safeties will require metal to be removed from the frame, and the end result is that you can grip the gun much higher and again enabling one to manage recoil better.

Extended mag button and beveling of the mag well will of course let you complete a reload much faster.

But I do love the mil-spec too. The new remington is in my future.:P

Guest mac_05evo

Thanks for the offer, I replied to your PM ^^. I'm also considering a Hero Gear 1911. It's a little more money but it would pretty much get me everything I want from the get go.

Guest mac_05evo
Yeah, as much as I endorse the CBOB, there are other guns out there. Do some homework, take some test drives. Most accurate 1911 I ever shot was a beat up old Para I'd rented.

Trust me I'm trying my best to do my homework. I've been to 5 gun shops in the last few days and a couple of them haven't exactly been close to me lol.

Guest mac_05evo
Hey Mac,

The Hero 1911 is surely available bobbed like a CBOB. When I was down there last they'd already done customs with that feature. Don't hurt to ask. Bet they have one on the shelf with your name on it. :up:

I talked to Jeff earlier today! :)

Mjnsx just posted up a NIB Dan Wesson Valor at a great price in the classifieds...might wanna check it out.

Thanks I saw that one earlier. Do you know if it's a 4.25" barrel?

Ozark.guns had Dan Wesson on their site recently.

I emailed him over the weekend but have not heard back :/

Edited by mac_05evo

Colt. It has a horsey on it.

I bought a Colt becuase they were the original maker of the 1911 and make a fine pistol. Plus I got a great deal on it. It is absolutely reliable and very accurate. It is factory spec. I have not done any modifications to it. All the CBOB fans will tell you that you need $1800+ to have a good 1911. All that talk don't mean diddly squat.

One thing about a 1911 is that it is a hobbie gun as well as a personal protection weapon. They are also fun to shoot and fun to dress up... Like a Barbie doll of shooters.

Most Dan Wesson cbob fans don't want to pay $1800 for an $1800 dollar gun, so they buy a cbob for under $1400 and call it a day.

+1

$1800 for a CBOB? I really doubt it, nor would I do it, if true. I can maybe believe $1800 for the new VBOB in the new Duty Coat.

Guest mac_05evo

JHAT, congrats on your new gun. That thing is sharp!!

Big public thanks to sigmtnman. He took the liberty of letting me fondle several different DW guns today. I will hopefully make a decision soon on what route I'm going.

Guest mac_05evo

^^ Yeah we will get together soon for sure. Guys thanks for all of the help and input! I ordered a Dan Wesson V-Bob earlier today and will hopefully have it in my hands by end of next week. I'm super stoked!