Any thoughts on the new GSG-5?

Guest Katana

Guest Katana

So has anyone been able to spend any time with the GSG5 since they redesigned them? I've got a GSG5SD on layaway (hopefully I'll be able to pick it up this Saturday) and am really looking forward to adding another plinker to my collection.

Also, I want to change the appearance to an MP5SD clone, will I need to order the old parts straight from ATI, or is anyone familiar with any shops in the Clarksville/Nashville/Murfreesboro area that sell the old parts? I'd really much rather support a local business if at all possible.

Edited by Katana
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the difference between the original and redesigned ones? I really like them either way.

They had to change a few things to make HK happy after the lawsuit. Mostly appearance stuff.

As far as the quality, I have heard mixed reports of the durability. Most people though, are happy with them and most problems are easily fixed with aftermarket stuff.

Here is a lot of info in the GSG-5's:

GSG-5 - AR15.COM

Dolomite

they are nice looking rifles but I have a problem with a .22 that demands high dollar ammo to cycle. At least the couple I have seen at the range had to have mini mags to run. Their owners claimed they would not cycle with typical bulk packed ammo.

So I seriously doubt they would run with target or match ammo.

If I am going to blast away or plink I want to do it cheaply, if I am looking for superior accuracy I want standard velocity ammo.

Makes sense. I knew they had to stop importing them, but I thought it had to do with NFA regulations. They are on my list.

This has nothing to do with why they had to redesign them but didn't someone post something about the batf deeming the gsg5sd an NFA item and had to be retrofitted with replacement barrel shrouds?

Also if you're looking for mags I can tell you where to find some if you PM me.

This has nothing to do with why they had to redesign them but didn't someone post something about the batf deeming the gsg5sd an NFA item and had to be retrofitted with replacement barrel shrouds?

Yea the recall only applied to the SD models. ATF determined that the barrel shroud was/or could be easily converted into a suppressor. :shake: So they wanted everyone to send their shroud in and ATI would sent them one that was in compliance with the NFA.

Guest TNTgill

In response to Mike, I haven't had a single issue with my GSG in regards to the type of ammo used. I buy the 525 round packs of Winchester XPERT HV at wally world and every round has cycled and fired no problems. I love my GSG for plinking and taking our the roided up squirrels I have seen around plus I got the girlfriend to shoot it and she loves it and wants one. Now I have the unfortunate problem of needing to buy a gun for the girlfriend and not having the money to do it.

its just a myth/ignorance about ammo in a GSG. I have one and have had only a couple of jams. I shot all day with no troubles and then handed it to a friend and he couldn't get it to fire worth a flip for him (limp wristing or holding the magazine)he then handed it to another buddy we were shooting with and he had no troubles and finally bakc to me with no troubles.

Same story with any .22 ive had they all love federal bulk pack from Walmart. Ive even put around 15k rounds of bulk through my 10/22 with under 40/50 jams total if not less than that.

I blame ignorant user!

Well...mine wouldnt run with anything....not CCI, not federal, not remington...called ATI told them I wasnt the first owner...they said no problem they had some updates they would do for free and sent me the mailing info....im pretty impressed to say the least as far as the customer service is concerned.