Thoughts on a MOB holster on a motorcycle.

Guest pusherman

Guest pusherman

I've been going round about how to carry on my sports bike for over a year.

Ive tried a inside the waistband .38, I didnt care for that as it cut me due to the jocky style riding position of my bike.

Ive tried a front pocket holster for a bondarms .410, I like this but its hard to get to fast. And I would like more than 2 shots.

Ive tried a paddle holster w/ a 245 siggy, I like this the most but the cut of my jackets causes it to show the bottom 1/4 of the piece while Im seated.

Ive been thinking about picking up a DeSantis small of the back holster for the 245 and I was wondering if anyone has tried one of these. I know Im risking spinal dammage if I fall off but it seems like a sweet spot to carry.

:hat:

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NO.:hat: IMHO. While I don't buy the broken back SOB skeptics on most issues, I do for riding. When I rode before (and if my wife will let me ride again;)) I carried off body in a Maxpedition style bag with the holster already on my hip. When I got off I would transition or leave it in the bag depending on the place I was going. After my wreck, I am especially sensitive to what can happen with a gun on the hip. Had I been wearing mine in the holster when I was hit it would have broken my hip, damaged the gun, and probably been lying loose unsecured on the road. Since it was in my bag it was undamaged, accessible, and still concealed while all the crowd/LE/EMT's was around. Just a thought. I would also consider shoulder holsters, if you can wear the right clothing with it.

Guest GT_Rat

I carry IWB using a Comp-Tac CTAC when I ride and I don't have any comfort problems. I'm more concerned about it showing below my jacket. I ride an 07 R1 just so you know we're talking apples to apples.

Jax Teller style baby! lol 1911 in a shoulder rig. It conceals under my vest perfectly. This was actually a big concern for me for quite awhile because I ride with an LE MC that was just getting started up a few years ago and The Outlaws had issue with us wearing the TN bottom rocker so we all carried constantly in case they decided to start anything, among the many other reasons to just carry anyway.

Not so much a problem anymore, but the shoulder rig is ideal for me. The gun was strapped in and tight under my arm. If I hit right I'm sure it would have broken a rib, but on body carry on a bike just comes with that risk.

Worn a thigh rig a few times... had it in the tail compartment a few others.

The shoulder rig idea wouldn't be bad, but overall I'd advise against attaching anything to yourself in a place that would be bad to have mashed into you.

I have no experience with ridding and carrying as I didn't carry when I used to ride.

But, I do have experience with that holster and a broken back.

That holster works very well for what it is. It's now my only carry holster for my 1911.

Do recommend!

On the whole broken back thing....if you crash hard enough for the gun to break your back, it will be a hard enough crash to break your back even without the gun.

On top of that, the gun isn't really sitting on your back. It's sitting on lower lumbar.

Lumbar injuries, even "complete injuries", are very reparable and healable. Reads, full or almost full recoveries are common.

Lower lumbar injuries are even more so.

Guest pusherman

But, I do have experience with that holster and a broken back.

That holster works very well for what it is. It's now my only carry holster for my 1911.

Do recommend!

I looked at the rig on the webpage - I couldnt tell from the pix, what keeps the pistol in? It have a thumb break or a strap or something?

I looked at the rig on the webpage - I couldnt tell from the pix, what keeps the pistol in? It have a thumb break or a strap or something?

The leather is form fitted to the gun and it also has a retention screw for snugness

881068081_SzvBU-M.jpg

There is no place on my body that I want a gun if I happen to prematurely exit the bike. I have crashed, rolled and flipped down the road and thank God I wasnt carrying. I do carry in my tank bag at times and I think that I could get to the gun in the bag much faster than trying to get it out from concealed carry on the bike. My .02