Tennessee Senate Overrides Restaurant Carry Veto

... the mayor of JC's lunch restaurant ...

Are you sure about that one? I went by Jane's Lunch Box specifically to check on this a while back. Though she had spoken negatively about the "Guns in Bars" legislation, at that time it was not posted.

Now, I'm not actually a customer and haven't been back since, so things could easily have changed.

• Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I thought I'd seen a picture of a sign in her window, but I frankly haven't even darkened the street her restaurant is on since she went on her little tirade. Maybe she's been too busy trying to intimidate the local police officers to get around to actually putting it up...

Amazing - the House didn't have enough reps show up for a Quorum today so they session has been canceled. Reconvening tomorrow at 10am. I hate to think it but part of me really wonders if this is yet another political delay scheme to effect the veto override vote.

DELAY DELAY DELAY

...as one of our distinguished members has stated before!:rolleyes:

Guest benchpresspower

has anyone heard whether or not rayburn is gonna contest this year's legislation? my gut feeling is that he will.

has anyone heard whether or not rayburn is gonna contest this year's legislation? my gut feeling is that he will.

Yes, I hear that he will. The Tennessean (I think) said that folks like rayburn plan to push back using the "safe workplace" argument... perhaps with the assistance from their workers.

Guest HexHead

So far, not Rayburn per se. But one of his ambulance chasers, Smith, was quoted in the Tennessean that he planned to challenge it using waiters from restaurants that don't post as plaintiffs. I can't imagine Rayburn being hypocritical enough not to post. I don't think that level of hypocrisy is attainable.

Guest HexHead
Amazing - the House didn't have enough reps show up for a Quorum today so they session has been canceled. Reconvening tomorrow at 10am. I hate to think it but part of me really wonders if this is yet another political delay scheme to effect the veto override vote.

So I'm guessing Todd couldn't give notice today? If they meet tomorrow, then he'll give notice, and they won't be able to consider it until some time next week?

Tell me, why do we even fl_lcking bother?

Guest HexHead

Well, it appears the budget has been hammered out. Both chambers meet tomorrow to vote on it. Tomorrow could be the last day of the legislature. I sure hope we don't get lost in the shuffle and get fl_lcked again.

House Speaker Kent Williams says he has reached a verbal agreement with Lt. Gov. Ron Ramsey on the state budget after a meeting at 2 p.m. today.

Williams told reporters that he has agreed to drop his support for a fish hatchery in his district. Ramsey agreed to support several initiatives sought by the House, such as funding for the Governor's Office of Children's Care Coordination, which combats infant mortality.

"Ramsey is a reasonable guy, and I am, too," Williams said, "once we could get together and get all the politics out of it and talk gentleman to gentleman."

Williams said details of the agreement could be announced as soon as today. Both the House and the Senate canceled floor sessions scheduled for 2 p.m. Both chambers are scheduled to meet again tomorrow morning.

I understand there are to be at least three more sessions of the full House. It is also my understanding that the House WILL override the veto, but it might just take till next week to accomplish that.

If the session tomorrow is not the last one, (and I do not believe it will be), then the 24 hour notice rule is in effect, unless they vote to suspend the rules, which I do not believe anybody wants to do. However, if they make their mind up that tomorrow is the last session, then they do not have to suspend the rules and can vote that day.

Well, it appears the budget has been hammered out. Both chambers meet tomorrow to vote on it. Tomorrow could be the last day of the legislature. I sure hope we don't get lost in the shuffle and get fl_lcked again.

I'm getting a not-so-good feeling about all this...

I'm getting a not-so-good feeling about all this...

Why?

They still have legislative days left. So there is time. I don't think Todd has worked on and carried this for two years to just forget about it now.

I'm not sure why...but I admit there may not be enough votes for the 2/3 required to suspend the rules, but there should be more than enough for a simple majority to override the veto.

Why?

They still have legislative days left. So there is time. I don't think Todd has worked on and carried this for two years to just forget about it now.

I'm not sure why...but I admit there may not be enough votes for the 2/3 required to suspend the rules, but there should be more than enough for a simple majority to override the veto.

I know, I know, but it just seems as if this thing is dragging on and on.

Just a bad feeling, ignore me.

I know, I know, but it just seems as if this thing is dragging on and on.

Just a bad feeling, ignore me.

Well I'm normally fairly pessimistic myself...just trying not to be in this case.

But I admit I'd be lying if I said I was 100% confident.

If it were just this issue dragging on alone, it wold be a more significant worry. But things have moved along as well as they can given the more pressing matters being dealt with by the legislature...and as dear as many here may hold this legislation, you can bet your bottom dollar the state budget has greater importance to the majority of the citizens of the state, and the legislature (and rightly so, IMHO).

Guest TNReb

I don't know about all this, but I don't see how they can pass a budget tomorrow. What might happen is the Senate will pass the agreed-upon budget they are reporting since it will be their 90th day, and then it will go to the House and they will either have to wait 24 hours and come back on Friday (since they still have a few days left before they hit 90) or they will suspend the rules and vote on it tomorrow. If they do the former, they can intro the override notice and vote on it Friday. If they do the latter, they could declare it the last day of the Session and the rule would kick in suspending the 24 hour notice.

Another possibility would be that the House could vote to suspend the rules and pass the override tomorrow. That would take a 2/3 vote to suspend the rules. Now, if there are 100 Representatives present, 2/3 would be 67 votes. However, if there are 99 present, 2/3 would be 66 votes. The House passed SB3012 on 5/5/2010 by a vote of 66 to 31. That means 97 members voted, and that would be more than enough, if they keep all those votes, to get a 2/3 majority to vote to suspend the rules and pass it tomorrow. However, if all 100 are there, I think they would need to find 1 more vote to get the 2/3 majority. Maybe one of those 3 who didn't vote on 5/5 is on our side, or 2 of them, or maybe all 3.

I know it can be frustrating, but it is also going to be interesting to see how it all shakes out. I am kinda enjoying watching this. It sort of reminds me of the old "Let's Make A Deal" show with Monte Hall where we're waiting for door #3 to open to see if we won a car or we got zonked. Hopefully, we'll soon be in the driver's seat. :P

Guys, no worries about it getting passed. Like last time, we easily have a 51% majority, if not close to a 75% majority. There is plenty of time to pass it, but it IS frustrating having to deal with this delay stuff because of the budget. However, it looks like dear idiot Kent finally gave up on the stupid pond and the budget can go through now.

Remind me again why is it a smart idea to have our lawmakers only meet half the year? I understand doing it every other month or two months at a time. But 6 straight months and then off for 6 months? No wonder we can't get anything done. Yet, the idiots in washington who should only have to meet about a month a year (how's national defense going? How are the states dealing with each other? How's the postal service doing? Okay, good. We are done!)

Matthew

Guest HexHead
If it were just this issue dragging on alone, it wold be a more significant worry. But things have moved along as well as they can given the more pressing matters being dealt with by the legislature...and as dear as many here may hold this legislation, you can bet your bottom dollar the state budget has greater importance to the majority of the citizens of the state, and the legislature (and rightly so, IMHO).

Hence the issue. Supposedly the budget got all worked out by Ramsey and Williams. They may start off the session with Todd presenting the override thinking there's a few more days and move to the budget. Pass it and then they decide, "that's done, let's adjourn and go home."

And we're left hanging.

Or.... after they pass the budget. Friday comes along and not enough members show up and they don't have a quorum like today. And we're left hanging.

Edited by HexHead

Here is my column that is now on humanevents.com regarding the Governors 2nd veto of the Restaurant Carry Bill.

Nikki's Pro-Gun Blog: Governor Bredesen turns against Tennessee Citizens

I was informed today at the Statehouse that the rules have indeed been suspended. However, SB3012 has not been put on notice yet by Rep. Curry Todd. He will put it on notice tomorrow (session begins at 10am). The override will either happen on Friday (if they have session....it is touch and go right now). Or it can happen on Monday.However, we are really not sure if they will just say to heck with this....let's just stay Saturday and get this session wrapped up (in that case it could be heard Saturday). Ya' gotta love Politics. The Budget is a real concern for our Legislators but it appears they are starting to come to an agreement. We should have enough time to get this Restaurant Carry override vote done in enough time. If everyone votes the way they did before.....we have 66 votes in the house.

Guest HexHead

I was informed today at the Statehouse that the rules have indeed been suspended. However, SB3012 has not been put on notice yet by Rep. Curry Todd. He will put it on notice tomorrow (session begins at 10am). The override will either happen on Friday (if they have session....it is touch and go right now).

Thanks for weighing in, Nikki. If the rules are indeed suspended, can't they just take the vote when Todd presents the override and get it out of the way?

Hence the issue. Supposedly the budget got all worked out by Ramsey and Williams. They may start off the session with Todd presenting the override thinking there's a few more days and move to the budget. Pass it and then they decide, "that's done, let's adjourn and go home."

And we're left hanging.

Or.... after they pass the budget. Friday comes along and not enough members show up and they don't have a quorum like today. And we're left hanging.

One of the dynamics that we tend to miss is that what occurs inside the chamber is rarely a surprise to anyone participating in the process...it is often (not always, but often enough) the formal playing out of matters that have already been settled outside the chanber (perhaps in/between caucuses, individuals, etc). What we see is often a well-choreographed dance when it comes to matters occuring on the floor...if they're anything like most other govt agencies, the vast majority of decisions are not made out in the light of public scrutiny...they have been made long beforehand.