A/C leaking in car

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at the firewall under the passenger side dash.

Little black hose comes from the condesor through the firewall, or it may be inside the car. A coat hangar works great to clear a clog if thats the issue.

First, sell that Sebring! :panic:

Been there, done that a couple times before.

You have been forewarned!

yep, your condensor drain is stopped up.

Not the condenser. It's the evaporator, and yes, it's clogged.

You can actually buy a can of foaming cleaner that cleans these things very well.

It's a simple as spraying it through a gap, or drain hole in your evap box, let sit, then wash out with a bottle of water.

Will also make your air smell like Summers Eve.

Very nice! ;)

First, sell that Sebring! ;)

Not the condenser. It's the evaporator, and yes, it's clogged.

You can actually buy a can of foaming cleaner that cleans these things very well.

It's a simple as spraying it through a gap, or drain hole in your evap box, let sit, then wash out with a bottle of water.

Will also make your air smell like Summers Eve.

Very nice! ;)

At least I didn't say receiver/dryer.:P You know how long it's been since I did any major wrench turning? Almost 20 years, shoot as complicated as they are today I'm, almost afraid to raise the dang hood.:panic:

At least I didn't say receiver/dryer.;) You know how long it's been since I did any major wrench turning? Almost 20 years, shoot as complicated as they are today I'm, almost afraid to raise the dang hood.:panic:

Well, in your defense, they are the same thing and serve the same purpose.

They're just shaped differently and located in different places. ;)

is this drain hose under the hood or dash? Metal or rubber? How big?

I'm looking, but can't find the drain hose. I let the car run and see water dripping on the ground near the drivers side, but can't locate where it's coming from. I'm probably looking in the wrong place.

I prefer strawberry :D

Ditto on the strawberry aroma! I still remember a strawberry-scented graduation gift from high school sweetie. To this day, heavy strawberry scent gives me a .... uh, let's make that gives me a flashback. Yeah, that's it. A very interesting flashback.:tinfoil:

First, sell that Sebring! :tinfoil:

Not the best car I ever owned, but not the worst either. Just lost a 98 to the Great Nashville Flood of 2010 that we'd had for 10 years. Except for fan speed switch that went out about every two years, RH power window motor twice, two alternators, multiple freeze-out plugs rusting out, and a tendancy to use oil heavily; it was a pretty good car.:D:D

I've looked everywhere and don't see any drain hose. I've looked uner the dash on boyh sides, under the hood on both sides, and under the car on both sides. I don't see a drain hose, nor a place where a drain hose should be.

You won't find it by just looking.

On the Sebrings, the evap is located behind the dash in a black box.

Those are also fairly difficult to clean out due to it's location.

That cleaner I mentioned, I would recommend buying some of that.

It will breakdown all the dust and pollen that has clogged the drain (will also make your air cleaner as an evaps 2nd job is to act as an air filter).

It also does not matter where you spray it in the box at which is good for this case being it's so difficult finding the drain.

You can simply stick the nozzle in through the hole your inlet and outlet tubes goes through...or pry the box open just enough to gain enough access for the nozzle.

You should be able to get a can at Advance or any A\C specialty supplier.

Amazon.com: FJC 5914 - Foaming Evaporator Cleaner - FJC - 5914:…