Get Rich with Armageddon Real Estate!

Guest Lester Weevils

Guest Lester Weevils

An opportunity even more gooder than Lakefront resort lots or remote Wyoming land!

There are silly yuppie end-of-the-world real estate options such as 40 scenic acres in Wyoming, four-wheel-drive 2-season accessible, 100 miles from Cheyenne--

But if that is not exotic enough, then perhaps a true sure-thang armageddon preparedness condo is for you!

Vivos - Underground Shelter Network for Surviving 2012 and Beyond

Edited by Lester Weevils
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lester Weevils

A personal missile silo would be way kewl.

Along the same lines, if time and money and inconvenience were no impediment, a Burt Gummer-style compound on a remote nearly-inaccessible piece of Montana hillside might be fun.

However, suburbia is certainly more comfortable than driving all day just to visit the nearest gas station. Imagine how mad the UPS driver would get, if he had to deliver a package to yer Montana mountain compound in January!

I don't much like crowds, so if it seemed a particularly pressing need to have an underground shelter, would rather have a private one, not a Vivos survival condo.

Back in the 1950-1960 red-scare days, there were quite a few mainstream and science fiction stories about things going bad in big bomb shelters after WWIII.

It could be a real enough psycho-dynamic issue, crowded underground for months with people with whom the ONLY thing you have in common, is that they paid enough money for a ticket on the ride.

Apologies by the way if the thread is not appropriate for this section-- "Topics and posts need to be kept serious and rational. No tinfoil hat conspiracy theory nonsense!"

I figured a multi-million dollar commercial development would be serious enough to discuss, even though it does seem in some ways irrational tinfoil hat material.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest smileyguy

The Atlas F site was awesome. If I only had $2.3 million. Then again it's in NY.

But seriously, like the underground single resident homes being built now days. Good all around SHTF shelter. Resistant to tornadoes and earthquakes, shielding for radioactive fallout, and constant temperature in case the electrical grid goes down. That would be nice just to save on heating and cooling bills (especially if Cap & Trade ever gets passed). An underground home,a well, proper food stores, acreage to hunt and farm, and some solar panels and you could be self sufficient and comfortable short term or long term.

I'm no 2012 end of the world nut, but there are some real scenarios that would devastate the industrialized world. A global pandemic on the scale of the Spanish flu of 1918 or a virus even more virulent? Some of my friends think I'm crazy, but that could easily happen. It would be much worse than Katrina, but nation wide and lasting weeks or even months.

Guest Lester Weevils

Back when I was tuning pianos, tuned a piano for a fellow who had a fabulous self-built in-the-ground house out in Soddy-Daisy.

He was in the construction trade and had built it himself, and didn't spend all that much money on it. About the price of building a big basement and then forgetting to build the house on top.

He had at least several acres on a steady uphill slope from the road. Grass for a few acres then woods up top. I recall it to be at least a 20 degree grade or better, but could be remembering wrong. He just ran an asphalt driveway a few hundred feet uphill, then took a bulldozer and cut a big flat in the side of the hill big enough for a generous parking lot and a house. He built a nice big concrete-block house as if he was building a basement on ground level. Think he poured a roof on it. Then sealed the exterior of the 'basement' including some layers of plastic. Then bulldozed dirt back over the house so that the hillside had its previous natural slope, and the only thing visible out of the ground was a generous entry blacktop in front of an entry-way into the hill.

Grass going all the way up the hill, with a nice big parking lot beside a door in the side of the hill.

Asked about maintenance, he estimated maybe in 20 years he might have to dig out the house and re-seal it.

He said it relied on earth temperature phase-lag, because it wasn't deep enough for constant-temperature dirt. He said in these parts the upper few feet of dirt doesn't warm up good until near the end of summer, and it doesn't get real cold until the end of winter. Said he never had to use air conditioning and at the very end of winter he might have to burn a single load of wood per day in his wood stove.

I didn't ask him about ventilation arrangements. Whatever he had setup seemed to work fine.

If SHTF, such a house would at least need solar or wind, or it might be pretty dark living in an artificial cave.

I really liked his solution to the local terrain. Building on a hill, seemed a lot more practical than basically living in a covered-up swimming pool, which would be an underground house in flatland.

Sounds like a good way to go. I figured a south facing hill to add to the heat if it was needed. I'd have to have windows too, just for the natural light, but that is doable. I've thought about building an underground house a lot. I'd also get some solar panels and get off the grid too. I'd like it so that the only thing I really needed was someway to hit the net. I could live like that.

I've thought about having an underground hillside house like Tolkien's Hobbits do. Of course I don't have any kind of money to go through with such a thing, yet. But a house within the earth would be much more resilient to natural disasters in general. Of course mudslides would be a larger problem.

• 4 weeks later...