House overrides veto on SB3012!!

Guest HexHead

I just checked the General Assembly's website. It still showing the override votes, but nothing about Ramsey or Williams signing anything.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just checked the General Assembly's website. It still showing the override votes, but nothing about Ramsey or Williams signing anything.

According to the Constitution (for what it's worth), the law only has to be signed by both speakers before being sent to the Governor... Which they both already signed it... To override the veto just requires a majority vote from both houses, and for the vote to be recorded, then according to the Constitution the bill becomes law.

Until somebody points to a law or legislature rule that requires a bill to be issued a public chapter #, or be sent to the Sec of State before going into effect, I'm sticking to the law went into effect on Friday night.

Guest pws_smokeyjones
According to the Constitution (for what it's worth), the law only has to be signed by both speakers before being sent to the Governor... Which they both already signed it... To override the veto just requires a majority vote from both houses, and for the vote to be recorded, then according to the Constitution the bill becomes law.

Until somebody points to a law or legislature rule that requires a bill to be issued a public chapter #, or be sent to the Sec of State before going into effect, I'm sticking to the law went into effect on Friday night.

I am with you Jay. when the override vote was passed last year, I don't remember any further requirements of signatures or TCA#'s etc... I know there was a date snafu because the delays pushed it out but to my knowledge, no further signatures were required after the veto override.

Will if you look back at HB0962 it didn't show the speakers signning it again either after the veto.

I agree....if Bredesen had signed it I think 99% of everyone would have thought it took effect that day. Well the veto being overridden by both chambers has the same effect as him signing it.

This doesn't affect the law but handgunlaw.us has updated their site to reflect YES for restaurant carry in Tennessee. Gary Slider usually doesn't make changes without proof.

I e-mailed Garry about the override and told him there was a bit of confusion about the effective date.

He e-mailed me back and said he was on vacation but would let Steve know so he could make the changes to the TN page.

The main reason I told him about the confusion on the effective date is so he would check into it....not sure if he did or not....but maybe so.

Guest pws_smokeyjones

Funny. I just noticed that HB0962 veto was overridden by the House on June 4th of last year. HB3125 veto was overridden by the house on June 4th of this year. Like Fallguy said, I don't see that any further signatures were required for it to become law.

Funny. I just noticed that HB0962 veto was overridden by the House on June 4th of last year. HB3125 veto was overridden by the house on June 4th of this year. Like Fallguy said, I don't see that any further signatures were required for it to become law.

Hmmm...wild I hadn't really noticed the dates...

But as everyone may remember, last year there was question about the effective date since it did have June 1 and it was after that date. But it was whether it was immediately or not......not after it goes to the Secretary of State etc....

Guest GLOCKGUY
Hmmm...wild I hadn't really noticed the dates...

But as everyone may remember, last year there was question about the effective date since it did have June 1 and it was after that date. But it was whether it was immediately or not......not after it goes to the Secretary of State etc....

wasn't the effective date then July 14? What was the reasoning for us to wait until July 14 after the veto last year?

Edited by GLOCKGUY
Guest jackdm3

They simply won't allow us to slip in before places have the time to order signs. I was so counting on immediate passage to beat them to it.

Guest pws_smokeyjones
wasn't the effective date then July 14? What was the reasoning for us to wait until July 14 after the veto last year?

Some rule that says if a bill was passed after its listed 'goes into effect' date that it had to sit for some amount of time (45 days I think?) before becoming law. not sure of the logic. I still believe that it was one final delay attempt to see if they could get HexHeads head to spin completely off of his shoulders. :rolleyes:

The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that the new law went into effect on Saturday immediately after the House passed the veto override vote.

Guest GLOCKGUY
Some rule that says if a bill was passed after its listed 'goes into effect' date that it had to sit for some amount of time (45 days I think?) before becoming law. not sure of the logic. I still believe that it was one final delay attempt to see if they could get HexHeads head to spin completely off of his shoulders. :rolleyes:

The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that the new law went into effect on Saturday immediately after the House passed the veto override vote.

I hope so because my 15 year wedding anniversary is Saturday and me and my wife are going out to dinner in Knoxville, but I will be carrying concealed so no one will no I'm carrying anyways..

It was because the bill basically didn't have an effective date since it was after June 1, so the Constitution says it has to wait 40 days.

However this bill does have an effective date...and it was immediately

The bill last year had a date which had already passed (June 1st), in cases such as that the law goes into effect 40 days (Constitutional requirement) after passage of the law... You'll note it wasn't 40 days after somebody signed it, or the Sec of State issued a public chapter, or anything else, it was 40 days after the veto override.

The bill passed this year says it shall to into effect immediately, and therefore goes into effect immediately.

Again, the law is in effect now IMHO...

Edited by JayC
Well if you'd like send them this page back... http://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/106/Amend/SA1236.pdf which changed the effective date in Section 7 and tell them it was adopted on 4/29/10 and is what was passed

My guess is the odd ball comments from Legislators and the Sec of State are due to the fact they read the original bill and didn't bother to check the Amendments...

I find it a sad state that Fallguy and I know the SB3012 (now law), and the guys who got elected to vote on it don't bother to do their homework.

Guest 270win

Yeah I was legal when I ate out yesterday at a place that serves liquor. I can read the language on the amended bill that became law after passing both House and Senate...and passing again House and Senate after over ride.

SB3012 has to be in effect now......

Look at HB0962 Tennessee General Assembly you can see it was overridden by the House on 6/4/09 , but not assigned a Public Chapter Number until 6/17/09. It had to wait 40 days before it became in effect and that was 7/14/09. Well that is 40 day from 6/4/09 NOT from 6/17/09.

Really don't know how else to say it....

If you look at Public Chapter 339 (the number assigned to HB0962) http://state.tn.us/sos/acts/106/pub/pc0339.pdf you can see the only thing that had to be done after it was overridden in the House is for the Clerk of the House to send the bill and a letter to the Secretary of State...which he did the next day after the veto.

So.....everyone can do what they want...but IMO it is in effect and if I go out...I will carry.... (except this weekend...going to NC :poop:)