House overrides veto on SB3012!!

The Restaurant Carry map for Missouri posted above is not totally correct. Concealed Carry is allowed in restaurants that make 51% from food that aren't posted with legal signage. Open Carry can be regulated by indvidual cities or towns. Cape Girardeau, Mo is one town that doesn't allow Open Carry. When in Missouri it is a lot easier to conceal than figure out where it is legal to OC.

Stay safe

Edited by deadeye111
clarification
  • Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect they'll use John Doe lawsuits.... otherwise these servers are likely to be without a job in short order. If an establishment isn't going to post it's likely they won't be very happy about their name getting dragged into an anti-gun lawsuit.

Tennessee House overrides guns-in-bars veto | tennessean.com | The Tennessean

The House on Friday joined the Senate in overriding Gov. Phil Bredesen's veto of a bill that lets handgun carry permit holders take their weapons into bars and restaurants that serve alcohol.

House members voted 61-30 for the override as they tried to wrap up business for the night. The override was expected — the legislation had cleared both chambers by wide margins — and lawmakers held no debate before voting.

"I have a speech prepared here, but ladies and gentlemen, I'm not going to read it," the bill's sponsor, Rep. Curry Todd of Collierville, said when offered the chance to speak. "You know how you're going to vote."

Previous law let people with handgun carry permits take their weapons into restaurants that do not serve alcohol. Under the new law, permit holders will be able to take a handgun into any bar or restaurant, but they are not allowed to drink while carrying.

Bars and restaurants can opt out of the law by posting a sign banning handguns at the door. Nashville attorney David Randolph Smith said servers who work in restaurants considered unlikely to prohibit guns intend to file a complaint stating the new law violates state workplace safety regulations.

— CHAS SISK

Guest db99wj
Like i said before the paperwork has to be signed and officially filed... so everyone chill a day or two... all we need is an open carrier sitting at the bar drinking a coke just to get a rise out of folks.

I just got off the phone with Rep Todd, nice guy by the way, and the bill has to be engrossed by the engrossing clerk with all the required signatures, then it will go into effect, it doesn't have to wait until a later date, but we do have to wait until this process is complete, which will be next week.

DO NOT CARRY YET.

Also, Rep Todd believes that the lawsuit by the restaurant folks will go no where.

The Restaurant Carry map for Missouri is not totally correct. Concealed Carry is allowed in restaurants that make 51% from food. Open Carry can be regulated by indvidual cities or towns. Cape Girardeau, Mo is one town that doesn't allow Open Carry. When in Missouri it is a lot easier to conceal than figure out where it is legal to OC.

Stay safe

The map just says that restaurant carry is allowed in Missouri, just as you stated. Not that OC is allowed or that it is CC only.

The method of carry in restaurants in the green states is the same as the state/local law.

It is just that 4 states regulate the method of carry in restaurants (OC or CC only) and those states are denoted in the map.

Guest HexHead

But as far as that goes...there are some states that allow consumption while armed and haven't heard of any prevailing law suits in those states....so really don't think this is going to go too far.....or at least I hope not.

Sad part is that we can't expect anything resembling a vigorous defense from the AGs office on this. They still haven't done anything about appealing the past law. And they didn't put up much of a defense of that one either.

Guest HexHead
I suspect they'll use John Doe lawsuits.... otherwise these servers are likely to be without a job in short order. If an establishment isn't going to post it's likely they won't be very happy about their name getting dragged into an anti-gun lawsuit.

John Doe plaintiffs shouldn't be allowed. What ever happened to the Constitutional right to confront your accuser?

John Doe plaintiffs shouldn't be allowed. What ever happened to the Constitutional right to confront your accuser?

I fully agree, but it's my understanding that the last case was a bunch of doe plaintiffs and today we still don't know who we should be boycotting.

Guest Jamie

The same thing that happened to your Constitutional right to keep and bear arms....

J.

RE the map - begining July 1, it will be incorrect for VA, as concealed carry (with a permit) will be allowed in restaurants that serve alcohol.

Correct...

I imagine they will change the map....didn't take 'em long to change it for TN

Guest dlstewart01

The lawsuit is misdirected. The employer has the option to opt out. If he chooses not to then the lawsuit should be directed at him. He is the one who is not taking advantages of the provisions in the law. The new law is not a problem because of the opt out clause.

And OSHA is federal isn't it. They would have to try and involve Tosha. Its been a while since I retired but that used to be the Tennessee version of OSHA. I see this lawsuit as having about as much chance as a fart in a whirlwind.

Tennessee House overrides guns-in-bars veto | tennessean.com | The Tennessean

The House on Friday joined the Senate in overriding Gov. Phil Bredesen's veto of a bill that lets handgun carry permit holders take their weapons into bars and restaurants that serve alcohol.

House members voted 61-30 for the override as they tried to wrap up business for the night. The override was expected — the legislation had cleared both chambers by wide margins — and lawmakers held no debate before voting.

"I have a speech prepared here, but ladies and gentlemen, I'm not going to read it," the bill's sponsor, Rep. Curry Todd of Collierville, said when offered the chance to speak. "You know how you're going to vote."

Previous law let people with handgun carry permits take their weapons into restaurants that do not serve alcohol. Under the new law, permit holders will be able to take a handgun into any bar or restaurant, but they are not allowed to drink while carrying.

Bars and restaurants can opt out of the law by posting a sign banning handguns at the door. Nashville attorney David Randolph Smith said servers who work in restaurants considered unlikely to prohibit guns intend to file a complaint stating the new law violates state workplace safety regulations.

— CHAS SISK

Even if they loose this lawsuit, I hope the claim itself does not cause some misinformed restaurant owners to post just to be on the "safe-side" of OHSA. Personally, I don't think this will go anywhere, but who really knows what a judge will do anymore.

Guest HexHead
Correct...

I imagine they will change the map....didn't take 'em long to change it for TN

Maybe it was still the one from last year < November?

Guest HexHead
The lawsuit is misdirected. The employer has the option to opt out. If he chooses not to then the lawsuit should be directed at him. He is the one who is not taking advantages of the provisions in the law. The new law is not a problem because of the opt out clause.

I hope the employer fires these miscreants if they end up forcing him to post.

Even if they loose this lawsuit, I hope the claim itself does not cause some misinformed restaurant owners to post just to be on the "safe-side" of OHSA. Personally, I don't think this will go anywhere, but who really knows what a judge will do anymore.

Hmmm good point

Yep, that's how I see it too. Plus I'd think TN being a "right to work state" would make it even harder for this duck to fly.

Rayburn's behind this, his wait people, guaranteed. When this fails he'll try some other lame tactic. If they can hand pick another anti-2A judge they just might get this law thrown out too.

Guest Glock23ForMe

Looks like I'm gonna have to buy some of the No guns = No Money cards...

So,

The international "No gun" sign works always and for good now, at every restaurant? What about wording? Is "No firearms/guns/weapons allowed" signs a legal posting now, too?

Guest TNReb

So,

The international "No gun" sign works always and for good now, at every restaurant? What about wording? Is "No firearms/guns/weapons allowed" signs a legal posting now, too?

The law reads that it can be the circle/slash sign, the statutory language, or both. If the sign does not include the circle/slash, it must contain language of the statute or "substantially similar" language, and the law defines "substantially similar. If it has the circle/slash sign, it is in compliance, regardless of the language. As long as the circle/slash is displayed, it can say anything else. Hope this helps. :P

It is just that 4 states regulate the method of carry in restaurants (OC or CC only) and those states are denoted in the map.

And VA has passed concealed carry in restaurants finally, but maybe the law isn't officially in effect yet there.

- OS

edit: oops, posted before reading GKar's post.

July 1, law goes into effect.

Edited by OhShoot
read other posts, duh

So,

The law reads that it can be the circle/slash sign, the statutory language, or both. If the sign does not include the circle/slash, it must contain language of the statute or "substantially similar" language, and the law defines "substantially similar. If it has the circle/slash sign, it is in compliance, regardless of the language. As long as the circle/slash is displayed, it can say anything else. Hope this helps. :)

Also just to be clear, this not just restaurants, but all places that post per 39-17-1359.

Posting for parks is covered under 39-17-1311....