House overrides veto on SB3012!!

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just might go ahead and carry my firearm in a restaurant that serves alcohol this weekend. It will feel good to do that and be perfectly legal. Oh, I'm not worried about the law not being 'official', yet because...

I'm spending most of the weekend in Georgia and carrying in restaurants where alcohol is served has been legal there for, what, a couple of years, now?!

Of course, I'll mostly be at my grandfather's place on Lookout Mountain (nope, not the ritzy part) and there aren't really any restaurants around there, period - booze serving or otherwise. Still, since mom will be with me and she has her permit now, too, maybe we should stop in somewhere to eat so we can get a preview of what kind of bloodshed and violence to expect in TN restaurants when this law actually goes into effect. I mean, after all, haven't you guys heard all of the stories of the problems Georgia (and the majority of other states) have had because they so recklessly insist on "mixing guns and alcohol"?

Oh, and I hope Bredesen's left-wing, New Jersey (_|_) is so sore from having the veto shoved up it that he can't sleep tonight.

Guest oldsmobile98

MANY THANKS to all who worked on this civil rights legislation.

We now have some momentum going here in TN. Let's keep working hard.

Next is concealed carry on campus. I would love to see the number of campus rapes plummet to zero.

Also, let's work on getting TN to adopt Vermont-style carry.

Again, to those who worked on this: thank you!! Your work will, I am confident, result in innocent lives being saved. And it has already resulted in a liberty restored.

We now have some momentum going here in TN. Let's keep working hard.

Next is concealed carry on campus. I would love to see the number of campus rapes plummet to zero.

Also, let's work on getting TN to adopt Vermont-style carry.

And parking lot carry at work.

This one goes to all the people who worked tirelessly on gettig this bill passed. To our representatives who listened,Great job. To the ones who did not.hope you have to find a real job. To the Govenor. I never really had a problem with your views until you tried this veto to stay on the good side of the Obama machine. Now all I can say is good bye. Time for a change. I would also again like to think the NRA-ILA for backing this bill and staying behind it all the way.I do not always agree with the NRA on all issues even though I am a life member. I do respect their right to stand up for what they believe in as I respect the right of all US citizens to do the same. That is what the USA is about. Standing up for what you believe to be right and when the people speak then the people have spoken. I think in November the people will speak again and we again will have some CHANGE for real this time. And to my Republican friends. Get it right this time or you will be looking for a job also. We the people are fed up with business as usual. It is time for what is best for America not what is best to keep you in office.

Edited by RRMan03
Added a little more comment
I just might go ahead and carry my firearm in a restaurant that serves alcohol this weekend. It will feel good to do that and be perfectly legal. Oh, I'm not worried about the law not being 'official', yet because...

I'm spending most of the weekend in Georgia and carrying in restaurants where alcohol is served has been legal there for, what, a couple of years, now?!

Of course, I'll mostly be at my grandfather's place on Lookout Mountain (nope, not the ritzy part) and there aren't really any restaurants around there, period - booze serving or otherwise. Still, since mom will be with me and she has her permit now, too, maybe we should stop in somewhere to eat so we can get a preview of what kind of bloodshed and violence to expect in TN restaurants when this law actually goes into effect. I mean, after all, haven't you guys heard all of the stories of the problems Georgia (and the majority of other states) have had because they so recklessly insist on "mixing guns and alcohol"?

Oh, and I hope Bredesen's left-wing, New Jersey (_|_) is so sore from having the veto shoved up it that he can't sleep tonight.

Dang, you mean when I ate at Ruby Tuesday's last night I could have carried inside? Oh wait, i'm in Alabama this weekend. Actually, I don't know what the Alabama restaurant carry laws are. Had a Ribeye, baked tater, and a Coca Cola.;)

I'll have to check the Brady website and see if TN is still a "D" grade or if we made it to a "F" yet. The day we bring home that "F" will be the proudest day for Tennessee. ;)

Does anybody have a link to where I can see who voted ya or na?

Haven't seen it yet, but as soon as it's available we need to send our thanks to those who restored our freedom with this legislation.

Guest HexHead
here's the info i found regarding when the law would come into effect:

This law will go into effect upon being assigned a public chapter number by the Tennessee Secretary of State.

NRA-ILA :: Gov. Bredesen

I was hoping that means Monday, but the last bill took two weeks to get the PC number.

Pub. Ch. 339 06/17/2009

Effective date(s) 07/14/09 06/17/2009

Passed S., Ayes 21, Nays 9 notwithstanding the objections of the Governor. 06/04/2009

Passed H., as am., Ayes 69, Nays 27 notwithstanding the objections of the Governor 06/03/2009

Of course, HB 0962's effective date was a month later so there was no hurry. I guess we have to keep watching the state's website?

Guest david_g17
Does anybody have a link to where I can see who voted ya or na?

Look under the "votes" links here: http://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/BillInfo/Default.aspx?BillNumber=SB3012

Here are the Senators' votes:

Senators voting to overturn the veto: Barnes, Beavers, Black, Bunch, Burchett, Crowe, Faulk, Finney L, Gresham, Herron, Jackson, Johnson, Kelsey, Ketron, McNally, Norris, Overbey, Southerland, Tracy, Watson, Woodson, Yager, Mr. Speaker Ramsey –– 23.

Senators voting against your liberty: Berke, Burks, Ford, Harper, Haynes, Henry, Kyle, Marrero, Stewart, Tate –– 10.

Here are the Representatives' votes

Representatives voting to overturn the veto: Barker, Bass, Bell, Bone, Brooks H, Brooks K, Campfield, Carr, Casada, Cobb J, Cobb T, Coley, Dean, DeBerry J, Dennis, Dunn, Eldridge, Evans, Faulkner, Ferguson, Fincher, Floyd, Ford, Fraley, Hackworth, Halford, Harrison, Hawk, Haynes, Hensley, Hill, Johnson P, Litz, Lollar, Lundberg, Lynn, Maddox, Maggart, Marsh, Matheny, Matlock, McCormick, McDaniel, McDonald, McManus, Montgomery, Moore, Mumpower, Niceley, Ramsey, Rich, Roach, Rowland, Sargent, Shepard, Shipley, Swafford, Tidwell, Todd, Watson, Weaver, West, White, Winningham, Yokley, Mr. Speaker Williams –– 66.

Representatives voting to further endanger you: Armstrong, Borchert, Brown, Camper, Coleman, Cooper, Curtiss, DeBerry L, Favors, Fitzhugh, Gilmore, Hardaway, Harmon, Harwell, Jones S, Jones U, Kernell, McCord, Miller, Naifeh, Odom, Pitts, Pruitt, Richardson, Shaw, Sontany, Stewart, Tindell, Towns, Turner J, Turner M –– 31.

Guys, I'm not sure where this requirement for having a public chapter number is coming from... but SB3012 appears to be law as of last night... Here are the important bits from the state constitution.

Here is the part about passing bills normally... Note the very last part in bold... It will be important for the next section...

§ 18. Bills becoming law A bill shall become law when it has been considered and passed on three different days in each House and on third and final consideration has received the assent of a majority of all the members to which each House is entitled under this Constitution, when the respective speakers have signed the bill with the date of such signing appearing in the journal, and when the bill has been approved by the Governor or otherwise passed under the provisions of this Constitution.

Here is the part about vetos and overriding them...

§ 18. Approval or veto of bills; line item veto Every Bill which may pass both Houses of the General Assembly shall, before it becomes a law, be presented to the Governor for his signature. If he approve, he shall sign it, and the same shall become a law; but if he refuse to sign it, he shall return it with his objections thereto, in writing, to the House in which it originated; and said House shall cause said objections to be entered at large upon its journal, and proceed to reconsider the Bill. If after such reconsideration, as majority of all the members elected to that House shall agree to pass the Bill, notwithstanding the objections of the Executive, it shall be sent, with said objections, to the other House, by which it shall be likewise reconsidered. If approved by a majority of the whole number elected to that House, it shall become a law. The votes of both Houses shall be determined by yeas and nays, and the names of all the members voting for or against the Bill shall be entered upon the journals of their respective Houses.

You'll note that the bill only has to be signed by both speakers BEFORE sending the bill to the Governor... On over ridding a veto, it clearly says once passed by both houses it shall become law. It doesn't say once submitted to the Sec of State and it's issued a public chapter number... Unless there is a state law I'm missing, it sure appears as if SB3012 is the law of the land as of last night...

Anybody care to point to why they think we have to wait on a public chapter before carrying?

Guest HexHead
Look under the "votes" links here: Tennessee General Assembly

Here are the Senators' votes:

Senators voting to overturn the veto: Barnes, Beavers, Black, Bunch, Burchett, Crowe, Faulk, Finney L, Gresham, Herron, Jackson, Johnson, Kelsey, Ketron, McNally, Norris, Overbey, Southerland, Tracy, Watson, Woodson, Yager, Mr. Speaker Ramsey –– 23.

Senators voting against your liberty: Berke, Burks, Ford, Harper, Haynes, Henry, Kyle, Marrero, Stewart, Tate –– 10.

Here are the Representatives' votes

Representatives voting to overturn the veto: Barker, Bass, Bell, Bone, Brooks H, Brooks K, Campfield, Carr, Casada, Cobb J, Cobb T, Coley, Dean, DeBerry J, Dennis, Dunn, Eldridge, Evans, Faulkner, Ferguson, Fincher, Floyd, Ford, Fraley, Hackworth, Halford, Harrison, Hawk, Haynes, Hensley, Hill, Johnson P, Litz, Lollar, Lundberg, Lynn, Maddox, Maggart, Marsh, Matheny, Matlock, McCormick, McDaniel, McDonald, McManus, Montgomery, Moore, Mumpower, Niceley, Ramsey, Rich, Roach, Rowland, Sargent, Shepard, Shipley, Swafford, Tidwell, Todd, Watson, Weaver, West, White, Winningham, Yokley, Mr. Speaker Williams –– 66.

Representatives voting to further endanger you: Armstrong, Borchert, Brown, Camper, Coleman, Cooper, Curtiss, DeBerry L, Favors, Fitzhugh, Gilmore, Hardaway, Harmon, Harwell, Jones S, Jones U, Kernell, McCord, Miller, Naifeh, Odom, Pitts, Pruitt, Richardson, Shaw, Sontany, Stewart, Tindell, Towns, Turner J, Turner M –– 31.

That wasn't the override vote, it was the original one. The override only had 30 Nays.

Guest oldsmobile98
uh, this legislation has nothing to do with civil rights, or any rights for that matter.

Do you have to pay a fee for rights?

The state has now officially recognized the right of the restaurant owner to simultaneously serve alcohol and decide whether or not patrons there can help defend against another Luby's massacre. I guess you could file that under "property rights".

I believe that self-defense is a civil right. I also view the ability to carry on publicly-owned grounds as a right. I know that TN law views that as a privilege. I disagree, which is why I want to get Vermont-style carry passed. I did pay my permit fee, but I don't believe there should be one.

This law has to do with carry in a private business, which is indeed a privilege. But it's the owner who gets to grant or revoke that privilege, not the government. So Mike, you're right, strictly speaking this is not a civil rights law.

Anyhow, thanks again to those who had a hand in helping it pass. The Naifeh era is behind us.

Guest Overtaker
I'll have to check the Brady website and see if TN is still a "D" grade or if we made it to a "F" yet. The day we bring home that "F" will be the proudest day for Tennessee. ;)

;)

Guest Doc44

I found it interesting that "they" passed an ALB ruling/law that the bill sponsor said now makes those restaurants operating illegally as restaurants when they did not meet the state percentage of income from the sell of food to be a restaurant. The new law now requires higher license fees for "restaurants" whose income from food is less than 50% with brackets down to 15%. He said, "This now makes these restaurants legal."

I bring this up for two reasons:

1. I think this is partly the result of the attention brought to this illegal actiavity by the "GUNS IN BARS" bill and our efforts to get it passed. Peanuts and pickled pigs' feed do not a restaurant make.

2. I cannot find any reference to the ALB rule/law change anywhere.

Am glad to know Rayborn can now be considered legitmate... by some and I suppose he will always be consider illegitimate by many..... (did not use the B word)

Doc44

I found it interesting that "they" passed an ALB ruling/law that the bill sponsor said now makes those restaurants operating illegally as restaurants when they did not meet the state percentage of income from the sell of food to be a restaurant. The new law now requires higher license fees for "restaurants" whose income from food is less than 50% with brackets down to 15%. He said, "This now makes these restaurants legal."

I bring this up for two reasons:

1. I think this is partly the result of the attention brought to this illegal actiavity by the "GUNS IN BARS" bill and our efforts to get it passed. Peanuts and pickled pigs' feed do not a restaurant make.

2. I cannot find any reference to the ALB rule/law change anywhere.

Am glad to know Rayborn can now be considered legitmate... by some and I suppose he will always be consider illegitimate by many..... (did not use the B word)

Doc44

By ALB, do you mean Alcohol Beverage regulatory board?

You would need to look under Alcoholic Beverage Commission (ABC).

You will not see anything posted, not until after they are re-done. The Senate "sunsetted" the Commission, meaning they have been relieved of duty so to speak. They will be re-constituted somewhere else in the TN Gov., (most likely under Treasury) but their days of being responsible only to "The Pleasure of the Governor" are over.

Look for major changes.

It's a good thing, yes... but I sure hate to think that the red slash is now a valid post... :(

And that is why this is a bad bill. Now any retard can post the symbol without a second thought (probably with stickers given from a chamber of commerce) and poof you are now a criminal if you carry there.

This bill should have:

a. Determined what was a restaurant and what was a bar.

b. Made the sign have to be a certain size, color, and wording, and mandatory placement. Similar to Texas.

c. Passed only allowing carry in a restaurant, not in a bar.

In an ideal world, the property owners could have no say in if you carry, similar to how they had no say in banning smoking.

They could ask you to leave the premises if you carried a gun in, but there would be no criminal violation.

Well now we have a law which I can guarantee will get challenged, and will get FUBAR'd up again in court.