don't laugh but this should pass the Shooting part of HCP right?

Guest Jamie
Took mine in '97 and it seems like the 3, 7 and 15 is what we did, but I'm not 100% sure.

I do remember for the 12 rounds of instructors choice it was 6 rounds with your weak hand at the two closest lines.

My first permit says it was issued in July of '95, so I'm guessing I took the test in March or April of that year.

I don't recall freezing my ass off during the shoot, so it had to be fairly warm at the time...

The instructor was a retired cop who knew most of the officers here, so the test was pretty similar to the S.O.s qualification course.

Honestly, with the group I was with, the shooting portion was pretty much just a formality, and "play time" as much as anything. I don't think there was anybody that didn't shoot 100%.

J.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now, I am still waiting to find out if I am getting the day of class off at work.

I am pretty sure my Boss is anti gun, hell he seems anti anything fun.

So I didnt' tell him why I wanted a day off, I just ask for the day off a month in advance, I will probably get it.

The instructor knows my situation and how I almost took his class last year and why I didn't get to, he told me even if I am late in finding out He will do his best to work me in.

I should know this week if I have my day off and a spot in the class.

BTW, with what I am reading here and what I have been reading on my own, I am not worried about the class. I do expect to learn some things that I have not come across yet and to pick up some good information.

Guest Sgt. Joe

Vontar, it seems your biggest problem in passing will be getting the day off to go,:) Your target looks very good at that distance, you will have no problem.

I took my class last June and it was just as OS described 12 shots from each distance, 3, 7, and 15 yards, with the requirement that it was to be at least 12 shots at each distance and the final 12 to be picked by the instructor.

We were told we needed 34 of 48 to pass the class. Our instructor had us shoot 18 at each of the shorter distances which if all were hits would give you 36 hits and enough to pass even if you missed all the 15 yard shots.

But even with that seemingly easy requirement we had two of 13 people fail the shooting part of the test, You are entitled to one (at least we were) one re-fire. These two flunked the first firring test and then one passed the re-fire only to turn around and fail the written part of the test:dropjaw: so neither passed.

And to top it off they were both using full length 357 magnum revolvers.:D All I can figure is that it was simply too much gun for either of them to control and that they neither had probably ever shot before that day.

I find it very hard to believe that anyone could flunk either part of the test but yet those two did, which only means they would not be getting a permit to carry but not necessarily meaning that they would not be carrying anyway.;)

well, here again,

I am taking 2 classes same day, NRA Pistol and HCP.

I know HCP is 48 shots and NRA will be at least 48 more. He told me to bring 100 rounds. I am going to bring 100, and another 100 in my truck just in case we get to do some extra.

I am just itching to take the class now, for the past couple weeks I have been eatting, sleeping and pretty muching thinking about it.

Sheesh, it's gotten much easier then.

I know for a fact I had to shoot at distances ranging from 5 yards all the way out to 25.

I can't remember how many rounds were fired at each individual distance, but it was at several places between the two. Unlike the LE course, we weren't required to shoot with our weak hand, or with only one hand.

J.

When I took mine you had to shoot from 1,000 yards while riding a horse through a hurricane AND a tornado, blindfolded with both hands tied behind your back. You had to hit all 700 rounds dead center on the X with no reloads out of a 6 shooter.

I'm just sayin'. ;)

Guest Jamie
When I took mine you had to shoot from 1,000 yards while riding a horse through a hurricane AND a tornado, blindfolded with both hands tied behind your back. You had to hit all 700 rounds dead center on the X with no reloads out of a 6 shooter.

I'm just sayin'. :D

So you flunked the test huh? ;)

Edit: I also remember that we were only allowed to load 5 rounds at a time, to keep things even and to not throw off the folks with 5-shot snubbies... of which I was one.

J.

Edited by Jamie

That 35 year old .22 Ruger will outshoot any gun you can buy these days - Time and "modern" technology a better gun does not make. Strap it to a ransom rest and it will butt heads with a $2000 1911. It is one of the most accurate rimfire pistols you can buy.

Either way....the picture you have there would be a 100 score on your HCP.

Guest Jamie

... don't pay too much attention to my comments concerning when I took the HCP test, or let anything there rattle you.

I was one of the first to go through the course in this area, once permits became "shall issue", and about the only people teaching it were either cops or ex-cops. And the only model they had to use to set up their own courses was what they already knew and were familiar with; the standard police qualification course. They modified it some, but not all that much.

And it certainly sounds like much has changed in the last 15 or so years.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll get through the course just fine.

J.

Guest Glock23ForMe

I just took my HCP course in March. I took it with Jim Carter, super nice guy. I shot 48 rounds. 12 from 3 yds, 12 from 7 yds, and 12 from 15 yards. The last 12 rounds were from 3 and 7. He told us to bring 100 rounds for the test, because afterwards he stands up his tables and stuff and we did some moving and shooting for the ones that wanted to stay and learn a little bit more.

I just took my HCP course in March. I took it with Jim Carter, super nice guy. I shot 48 rounds. 12 from 3 yds, 12 from 7 yds, and 12 from 15 yards. The last 12 rounds were from 3 and 7. He told us to bring 100 rounds for the test, because afterwards he stands up his tables and stuff and we did some moving and shooting for the ones that wanted to stay and learn a little bit more.

That was my guy. I was the only one in the class, so we had a blast. Two gun geeks in a room full of guns :). Had even more fun on the range.

Guest Glock23ForMe
That was my guy. I was the only one in the class, so we had a blast. Two gun geeks in a room full of guns :). Had even more fun on the range.

Jim Carter is the MAN!!! He's awesome. Yeah, it was just me and him, too. I kinda got upset though, because I smelt bacon and eggs that morning, his wife yelled, and he said, "Here, watch this video *click* I'll be right back."

:)

Jim Carter is the MAN!!! He's awesome. Yeah, it was just me and him, too. I kinda got upset though, because I smelt bacon and eggs that morning, his wife yelled, and he said, "Here, watch this video *click* I'll be right back."

:)

In his defense, that video is hard to watch once. I'm sure he's seen it a bunch

Guest Glock23ForMe
In his defense, that video is hard to watch once. I'm sure he's seen it a bunch

But when he comes back licking his lips of homemade breakfast?! :) I'm just hateful. In all honesty, Jim is an awesome guy, and great teacher. I learned quite a bit from him.

But when he comes back licking his lips of homemade breakfast?! :) I'm just hateful. In all honesty, Jim is an awesome guy, and great teacher. I learned quite a bit from him.

Yep, I've recommended him to a few folks. That's where my girlfriend will go when she finally takes the plunge. I'll give her a P22 for the course, because all that one-handed shooting will wear her out with something bigger.

Guest TnRebel
Remember, many of the qualifying shots for the HCP are taken at a lesser distance than 15 yards. I forget exactly what the requirements are but if this is an example of your skills at 15 yards you should have no problem with qualification for the HCP.

oldogy

6, 15 and 25 Yards and most counters are the 6 and 15 yards you only fire 10 rounds at 25 .

Guest Glock23ForMe
Yep, I've recommended him to a few folks. That's where my girlfriend will go when she finally takes the plunge. I'll give her a P22 for the course, because all that one-handed shooting will wear her out with something bigger.

Same here... If and when I talk my girlfriend into getting her HCP, that's where she will be going.

Guest Mike22

youll be fine only problem i see is too many shots on the tareget you will only shoot i think 48rds or atleast thats all we shot. Only had to get 2 shots on target 15yds when i shot if you hit all the shorter shots. Not bad shooting my brother did not do that well and he pssed.

Mike22

Guest NeuralFizz

Where's this dude at?

My brother and I are getting our HCPs this summer but we're probably going to Terry Walden's. He's the closest around.

youll be fine only problem i see is too many shots on the tareget you will only shoot i think 48rds or atleast thats all we shot. Only had to get 2 shots on target 15yds when i shot if you hit all the shorter shots. Not bad shooting my brother did not do that well and he pssed.

Mike22

I wanted to make sure the target was no longer a threat. :rolleyes: it was not.

We did 3, 7 and 15 yards - 12 at each range but only 6 at a time (moved target between each group of 6) plus 12 shots that were 'instructor's choice'. For six of those, he put the target at about 10 yards. For the other six, he basically told us to put the target wherever we wanted. Since I knew by then that I had passed, I ran mine out to 20 yards for those six, just to see what I could do. That was my first time ever shooting at an indoor range - or any formal range, period (indoor or outdoor) and the first time I had ever shot at a human silhouette target of any type. I had shot handguns a decent amount before that but it was all informal, backyard shooting at cola cans and bullseye type targets. I, too, used a .22 pistol to take the class. To me, the three yard shooting, the realization of just how close that is and the fact that many SD shootings take place that 'up close and personal' had more of an impact on me, I think, than any other part of the class (one thing our instructor said was that if you have to shoot someone in SD chances are you are going to get blood on you.) This is a cellphone pic of my actual HCP target:

PermitClassTarget.jpg

I'm certainly no 'marksman' with a handgun, either (nor with a rifle, truth be told) and was pretty nervous but I think I did okay. You'll be fine.

Edited by JAB