The FAL.

Guest Keinengel

Guest Keinengel

I've recently been thinking about jumping on to the wagon with these. It was a choice between the FAL style or the G3 and the FAL just stuck my fancy a little more.

Anyways, i was going to build one up since after doing a little reseach i found that its way cheaper to do it that way. However the few Receivers i could find online were going pretty high and weren't in stock most of the time. As for parts kits im not sure where to start there either. Im not really looking for an über SR-25 killer battle rifle here but i dont want something thats gonna be extremely picky on ammo and break down all the time.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a cost efficient but reliable build?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

buy one from Dsarms....not to sound like a broken record but.... www.aimsurplus.com has them brand new for $1,095 and the fit/finish is excellent...every once in awhile a good deal will come through ($750ish or less) but its rarer and rarer....best thing imho about the FAL over the much cheaper G3 pattern(cheaper parts/accessories) is the fact the FAL doesnt eat brass.

Guest Keinengel

yeah, i've heard the CETMEs and the other entry G3 clones were really ammo picky and like to shred casings.... which is one of the reasons im not going for one.. 750-800 is really right on what im looking at spending. I was really looking at this as more of a collect and go project. I see FAL parts around locally kinda often and it seemed fun to sorta just grab the receiver, Barrel, FCG and other major parts and just pick and choose the stock/bolt/flash hider and other optional stuff.

The FAL is an excellent rifle. I have owned numerous ones. Built them all from the parts kits. They are an addiction once you build your first one. I am down to one now, a 18" barreled barbine that is my favorite. I have a bunch of mags I bought at Knob Creek years ago when they were $2.00 each.

Guest oldsmobile98

DSA sells some Imbel parts kits and drop-forged receivers. Coonan Arms sells cast receivers.

The FAL Files Forums are a great source for info. And a there are a couple companies out there that may or may not offer a discount on receivers if you are a member... :D

I oughtta post pics of my G3 clone brass sometime. It gets a dent, but some folks do reload with it, so it can be done...

Edited by oldsmobile98

The FAL Files Forums <- everything you need to know is here. Welcome to the addiction. :D

While building one isn't necessarily the cheapest option, I'm in the process of collecting parts and tools to build one. :cool: All I lack is the trigger group, headspace gauges, and a couple tools. You can find rifles built by very experienced gunsmiths on falfiles for $700-ish if you're quick. I got a NIB Enterprise receiver off falfiles for $260. Coonan seems to be the receiver du jour.

Beware DSA - they have good product, but it can take FOREVER to get things from them. I ordered my Imbel kit from them by phone. They charged my card while we were on the phone and was told it'd ship in 2-3 days. I received the kit 5 weeks later (after many phone calls). There's several stories of people waiting over a year for a rifle.

got_fal_bumper_sticker-p128872673729471847trl0_400.jpg

Edited by peejman
Guest Gopher6

According to the FALfiles, DSA is having some QC problems with their latest offerings although their lead times have gotten alot better. As stated above, there are some good deals on guns built by top name FAL smiths right now. For your first one, I'd recommend a 21" barrel, metric pattern, standard FAL. On your later ones, you can get para's or custom jobs. Go to the FALfiles for education and help, they're a great bunch of guys.