Need so quick advice about this weekend's Gun Show

BigK

I'm looking forward to this weekend's Gun Show in Murfreesboro. Last time it was there I saw about 40 tables set up.

I want to trade an almost new Taurus TCP PT 738. My LGS offered my $150 toward something else. I hadn't even shot it at the time, but couldn't part with it for only half price.

I've bought a gun at a gun show before, but never sold/traded one. Do you think I'll get a better or worse offer at the gun show?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking forward to this weekend's Gun Show in Murfreesboro. Last time it was there I saw about 40 tables set up.

I want to trade an almost new Taurus TCP PT 738. My LGS offered my $150 toward something else. I hadn't even shot it at the time, but couldn't part with it for only half price.

I've bought a gun at a gun show before, but never sold/traded one. Do you think I'll get a better or worse offer at the gun show?

You're better off selling it to a private buyer, then applying the money towards another purchase. Gun dealers can only give you wholesale on a trade. You shouldn't have a problem selling it and getting what you want out of it as long as it is reasonable.

I guarantee you will get a worse offer.

A gun dealer, either at a shop or at the show, is out to make money. Your gun is not even worth wholesale price to a dealer since it is used.

Being a Taurus, it will be seen as cheaper or not as popular. Nothing really against Taurus, just a fact that it isn't a Glock, Beretta, or Sig.

It is all about profit. A used gun has a lower value to a potential buyer because it isn't new.

Like has been advised, try to private sell it to an individual online. The offers you would probably get at a show would pizz you off.

Carry it around the show with a for sale sign on it. There are many there who are only there looking for a good deal on private sales. You won't get what you paid for it new, but you'll get more than a dealer would give. There'll probably be someone there looking for exactly what you are wanting to sell. I'd also recommend you look at the people walking around to see if any of them are selling what you are looking for, as it will also likely be cheaper than a dealer. If you steer clear of dealers and new guns, and know the market, you can actually shoot a large variety of guns and make a little money in the process.

+1 to Gregintenn.

I've had good luck at gun shows selling guns. My BIL has worked them for years and has a booth. I've been fortunate to just sit at his booth with the gun or knife out on the table and they pretty much sell themselves. As has been pointed out, you probably won't get retail for it, but it will beat what the LGS will allow on a trade for another gun. You might consider what you'd pay for the same gun from an individual at the gun show and be willing to move a little in order to get a cash price. You'd be surprised how many folks come to the gun shows looking to pick up a gun like yours. Let us know how it works out for you.

You would probably be better off shelling out $20 and join here as a Benefactor for 6 months and sell it in the TGO classifieds. You will spend $10 to get in the show tomorrow so just $10 more will let you advertise it here and you will surely get a better price because you can sell it for closer to retail.

You would probably be better off shelling out $20 and join here as a Benefactor for 6 months and sell it in the TGO classifieds. You will spend $10 to get in the show tomorrow so just $10 more will let you advertise it here and you will surely get a better price because you can sell it for closer to retail.

Great advice, thanks. Next time I have one to sell, I think that will be the way I go.

I lucked up and sold it privately before the show. Naturally, they were selling for more there. I asked a few what they'd give for one and the price was about the same as the LGS offered. So, me and the actual buyer made out OK.

Hope the sale went well. TCP's are popular and should get well more than $150!

I gave a shotgun to my little brother when he was old enough to hunt (10yr age difference). I traded a few over the years and even had one stolen once, but this is the 1st one I've ever sold.

I am pleased with how smoothly it went.