TN sales tax on pistol bought online and shipped from another state?

Guest greymethod

Guest greymethod

How does sales tax work when buying a pistol online and having it shipped to TN from another state? Do I pay it when I pick it up from my FFL? I have been trying to figure this out but don't to go into a shop that's an FFL and ask about it as a first time customer.

Thanks for the input!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

You don't pay tax to the FFL. You're "supposed" to pay tax on everything you buy out of state and have shipped to you here. But no one does that. There's a form somewhere for paying taxes on out of state stuff.

You don't pay tax to the FFL. You're "supposed" to pay tax on everything you buy out of state and have shipped to you here. But no one does that. There's a form somewhere for paying taxes on out of state stuff.

^ this. Legally every online purchase is taxable and you are supposed to fill out the form and pay it directly to the IRS. After all as Harry Reid put it, it is a voluntary tax system. ;)

Guest Boogieman

Are you kidding me? Thats the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard, well almost. Hey, I bought a bottle of soda when I was traveling in Virginia but I didnt "use" it till I was back across the state line. Where do I mail my 2 and a half cents? I think this is just about stupid. The vast majority of stuff I buy online or through a catalog cannot be found locally. How is making those purchases hurting TN business? I'm not going to drive to Nashville (5 hours) to get something that I can have shipped to me but with a slight delay. If they had an "everything you'd ever want in stock all the time store" down the road I'd quit buying online for good.

You do not pay any sales tax to the FFL dealer and if he tries to collect it tell him to frak off.

Legally you are responsible to pay sales tax to the state, but the dealer doesn't sell you anything so he can't tax you. You are responsible for paying the tax yourself.......

Yeah I'll get right on that...

Guest greymethod

Well that is damn good news. In this case It's going to save me about $150, all things included.

Do you guys recommend an FFL in the Nashville area? (I just moved here)

Boogieman makes an excellent point in part to reply to Greymethod's question.

I'm not the only guy or gal who will buy online in part because the prices are lower and in part because (even taking shipping/handling into account and the surcharges of using credit cards) the "bottom line" represents SIGNIFICANT SAVINGS.

The system of competition to keep costs down involves (it DEPENDS ON...!) the consumer making decisions based on his/her desire to get more for his or her money. Makes perfect sense to me. (How about you?)

I (and THOUSANDS of my fellow Tennessee residents) will continue to use my discretion and buy where I want to. Money talks. (You know what "walks," right?)

Mike B

Edited by perstare
clarity
Are you kidding me? Thats the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard, well almost. Hey, I bought a bottle of soda when I was traveling in Virginia but I didnt "use" it till I was back across the state line. Where do I mail my 2 and a half cents? I think this is just about stupid. The vast majority of stuff I buy online or through a catalog cannot be found locally. How is making those purchases hurting TN business? I'm not going to drive to Nashville (5 hours) to get something that I can have shipped to me but with a slight delay. If they had an "everything you'd ever want in stock all the time store" down the road I'd quit buying online for good.

Well, if you bought the coke in Virgina then you paid Virgina tax. Since you live in TN then you should get your 2.5 cents refunded on the grounds of taxation without representation :lol:

The TN Dept. of Revenue can check out of state sales. Its just that they don't go after small purchases. How small? They won't tell. As far as the income tax perstare had in his post, its only on investment income not wages. They look at your at your fed. tax return and if they think you owe it they will send you a bill. Don't worry TN is only 6 years behind in catching people on this one. :lol:

+1 to greenego.

Some folks might question the wisdom of declaring tax evasion in a public forum.

Just passing on what the good folks at the TN Dept of Revenue has told me. I have also seen the letters asking for the tax.

Guest HvyMtl

greymethod, I suggest checking the Vendors on here as they are A+. (Personally, I find it rare to have the quality of Vendors this forum has...)

What area of town you live in?

I recently found out that you may be charged state sales tax if the online vnedor has a store location inside the state. I purchased something online from Walmart and was charged state sales tax. I called as well as emailed and was told that new federal law allows online vendors to collect sales tax if they have a retail store within the borders of the state. I know Walmart does but I am not sure about other online retailers.

Not sure who you are going to be ordering from but I would double check to make sure they do not have a retail location within the state.

Dolomite

Guest Lester Weevils
I recently found out that you may be charged state sales tax if the online vnedor has a store location inside the state. I purchased something online from Walmart and was charged state sales tax. I called as well as emailed and was told that new federal law allows online vendors to collect sales tax if they have a retail store within the borders of the state. I know Walmart does but I am not sure about other online retailers.

Not sure who you are going to be ordering from but I would double check to make sure they do not have a retail location within the state.

Dolomite

That seems pretty common in my experience. It seems that a lot of online dealers that don't have stores in TN, maintain drop-ship warehouses in TN. Maybe because TN is centrally located for shipping to the East coast? Maybe it is pretty inexpensive to run a warehouse in TN?

I've bought lots of computer parts from non-TN websites, only to receive a package from TN locations like Rockwood.

The tax angle usually doesn't bother me. I just internet order if local biz's don't have what I need, or if the biz is way on the other side of the county. Its a shame to always have to pay tax on HP and Apple computers though. Thats enough money to really matter.

Edited by Lester Weevils
I recently found out that you may be charged state sales tax if the online vnedor has a store location .................. Not sure who you are going to be ordering from but I would double check to make sure they do not have a retail location within the state.

Dolomite

Yes. I've found (on other buying occasions much larger -- not guns) that the out of state vendors DO collect sales tax for TN ***but*** their prices for their goods are so much lower that it makes sense to order from them, pay shipping/handling, pay insurance, pay TN sales tax and you **still** come out ahead. The TN sales tax is applied to the lower purchase price.

Mike B