GSG 1911 .22lr

Garufa

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the scouting I have done, mags are $32--35 each. But...you get heavy metal, well made and not plastic.

I really need to buzz mine up over 1,000 rounds and then inspect for wear but, have not had the time lately.

Unless something goes haywire, this gun will reside in my range-bag forever.

Phil over at Bellshire Hardware/Guns says he has this gun available. His prices tend to be really good.

I talked to Phil at Bellshire and will pick mine up tomorrow. Has anyone found a place to pick up spare mags?

Saw one at my LGS for $339 plus tax and check. It definately looks to be better quality than Chiappa's 1911-22 , but in my opinion ever so slightly better in fit and finish. I liked it but couldn't make myself pull the trigger and buy it.It just didn't feel right. Well, 3 hours later I'm in a local Pawn Shop and low and behold there sits a Marvel Unit 1 1911-22 conversion kit commander size. I check it out factory target .562 group at 25 yds and the kit looked unused. Clerk says it was pawned along with a Kimber 1911. Well these cost about $425 plus options. I got it for the otd price of $260. Get it home ,put it on my Springfield lower and off to Kettlefoot ; it shoots GREAT ! Talk about being lucky wow!

There are a couple of things I learned about the GSG 1911 over the net that are not in the manual. First there is a hex head screw that has to be removed before the slide can be removed from the frame. Second, the recoil spring is tapered and the wider end goes in the plug. Hope I can get out today and put some rounds thru it.

Guest 70below

I fondled one of these at the Bud's Gun Shop store in Lexington........very nice! I was very impressed by it, and made you feel like you were holding a .45 and not a .22. I wouldn't call it refined, but it was solid and of good quality. It was like picking up a base Rock Island. I would have snatched it up for the $318 shipped, but I've got my heart set on a PMR 30.

Edit: If there was one thing I didn't like about it, it was the fact that both sides of it were like a billboard.

Please tell me that it is a metal barrel bushing wrench. My Para came with a plastic one and I can't stand it.

Well the wrench is metal but it's not for the barrel bushing. The GSG 1911 comes with a threaded barrel and the wrench is for removing the thread protector from the end of the barrel.

I have had no problem removing the barrel bushing on mine by hand.

• 3 weeks later...

So I just got back from the range shooting my new GSG 1911-22. What a buy. I was lucky enough to pick one up on sale at Midwest Hunters Outlet for $283. Very nice fit and finish. Sturdy feeling. Nice heavy weight magazine. Shot 200 CCI standard velocity in fairly rapid order with zero malfunctions. Slide locked back whenever the magazine was empty. Always would slingshot into battery. I did not pre-clean the gun. I also did not touch the sights, and I was quite impressed. I was shooting easily 1" groups with two hands at 10 yards, and 2" groups at 15 yards.

I switched to Eley Sport, and had 3 (out of 50) failures to fire. It was always the second round in the magazine...just click. Cycle the slide and the rest would fire without any issue. Unfortunately I did not think to look at the expelled rounds to see if there was evidence of a light primer strike. Maybe not going all the way into battery? We will keep playing.

The only real negatives I see are the three dot sights. Narrower than I am accustomed to. They work, just look odd to me. Just something to get used to, I guess. They are Novak cut, so I could always swap them out.

I'm thinking of putting a flat mainspring housing with magwell on it to fit my hand a little better. I want to make some exotic grips for it just for fun. I got three additional magazines for a good price off Gunbroker. Otherwise at this point I would not change a thing. More rounds down the pipe will tell a tale I suppose. I'll keep you posted.

Gray

Edited by stahlmangc