New M&P 15 Problem

Finally got my new S&W M&P15 out this morning and ran into a few problems. The gun will be shipped to S&W for warranty service in the morning, but thought I'd see if anyone had a similar experience or comments. Note, this is a new 223/556 rifle, not the 15-22 that I bought about a month ago.

First, I noticed immediately that the bolt didn't look right. The surfaces on the bolt were rough and the bolt seemed to drag when I pushed it in and out of the bolt carrier.

Second, the very first round was a failure to eject. After getting the casing out of the chamber, I ran about five rounds through it before I had another failure to eject. Again, had to use a cleaning rod to get the casing out. Both casings had a LOT of damage, as did several of the casing that did eject. I stopped shooting on the third failure to eject (still had 4 rounds in the first mag).

Obviously, a little disappointed. We were in Memphis, so when a got back to my in-laws' house, I wanted to check the bolt in my father-in-law's M&P (bought at the same time and the serial numbers were within 10 numbers of each other). As expected, his bolt had the same rough surfaces.

I am concerned that the rough surfaces may have damaged the chrome lining in the bolt carrier, as well. We'll see what S&W has to say in the morning.:)

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only have about 150 rounds through mine but, have had 0 problems. Did you notice the issues with the bolt when you purchased it or after the problem? Let us know how the service is.

UPDATE - I failed to mention that both my father-in-law and brother-in-law purchased the same gun at the same time (all three serial numbers within 11 of each other). All three guns had rough bolt surfaces, but we only shot two of the three guns. Both rifles we shot had the same problem. So, I spoke with S&W Customer Service on Monday of this week. Pretty long wait on the phone and got cut off once. When I got a rep, he asked what ammo I was using. When I said new manufacture Lake City military surplus, he said he'd never heard of Lake City before. So, he suggested that the problem was most likely the ammo since there was almost no chance all three guns had identical problems (he ignored the fact all three had rough bolts), but he issued return tags for all three.

The tags arrived yesterday (Friday). Before boxing them back up, I decided to run other ammo through them just to make sure. Had a box of Federal Walmart value ammo and had the exact same problem. In fact, the damage to the casing was worse. It seems clear to me that the extractor and/or extractor spring is a problem. The boxes will be shipped on Monday, so we'll see what happens. Not real impressed with S&W Customer Service at this point (although it is nice not to have to pay shipping on the returns).

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a Smith AR-15 about 2 months back. Brand new in the box. The first thing I did was replace the BCG. My issue was with the gas key staking. The 4 crimps (two on each set screw) were done so lightly that the metal didn't even contact the screws. I might have made a fuss if I didn't have a few extras laying around. Sounds like they may skip out on the final quality of the part that moves the most.

Guest DanE479

Sounds like a headspacing issue. I hate S&W customer service, and won't buy any guns from them. I had a four time go-around with them on a particularly junky sigma 3 years ago.

I'll give a thumbs up to S&W's Customer Service. Not an AR issue but an M&P9. Funny, one of the first things they asked me was what kind of ammo was I using. I said Indepedence and something else (Win I think). The guy said the same thing...'never heard of Independence'. Ha! They did fix my problems though with little sweat on may part.

UPDATE - Got the rifles back on Monday (basically a two-week turnaround - door-to-door). Not bad. S&W replaced the bolt in all three rifles and honed the chamber in all three rifles.

I finally got to shoot them tonight. Only had time to run a few rounds through each rifle, but so far, no FTEs. I will have to run the rifles a bit harder to be comfortable that the problem is solved, but I will (at least for now) consider the S&W customer service to be good. They also sent a new PMAG with each rifle. I would like to have received more detail on the work (nothing but a sheet of paper with "BOLT REPLACED" and "HONED CHAMBER" on it) and maybe a letter or something saying "sorry, but here's what we did." I think there's a better way than just the one sheet of typed info, but overall, I am satisfied. Hopefully, no more problems.

Guest -BeanHead-

Chip, I have now put 200 rounds through the AR. Not a single problem. Good to hear that yours are working good now. Thanks again

Edited by -BeanHead-
Guest motonut

Had to return my M&P 15 about 3 mos. ago, Smith was fine on the phone, no issues. Door to door was about 10+ days. Took the gun out a few weeks later and all was well. I have no complaints w/ Smith CS.