East Tn TGO Members FEBRUARY 2008 Meet

Guest Scottech
Where is the shoot? Directions please.

Marswolf posted these previously.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/showpost.php?p=23193&postcount=27

and here's Phantom6's directions:

Directions to the Sterling Range

These directions to the Sterling Range are given from the intersection of Hwy. 62 (Illinois Ave.) and Hwy 95 (Oak Ridge Turnpike). Herb Newton Nissan is on the South East corner there.

From the intersection of Hwy. 62 (Illinois Ave.) and Hwy 95 (Oak Ridge Turnpike), take Hwy. 95 (the Oak Ridge Turnpike) south towards Lenoir city and Kingston.

At 4.3 miles you will pass through the old military gates of Oak Ridge. At this point the road narrows from 4 lanes to 2.

Continue south on Hwy. 95. At 7.5 miles from your start point at Herb Newton Nissan you will come to the Hwy. 95 /Hwy. 58 split. You want to follow Hwy. 58 towards Kingston.

As you pass the split get back into the right lane because you will turn right at the light which will be .9 mile ahead of you. This is route 327.

Route 327 (Blair Rd.) is 8.4 miles from your start point back at Herb Newton Nissan at the intersection of Hwy. 62 (Illinois Ave.) and Hwy 95 (Oak Ridge Turnpike). Turn Right here.

After turning right on rout 327 or Blair Rd. Follow this road (you will cross railroad tracks twice) 2.9 miles to Poplar Creek Rd. At Poplar Creek Road you will turn Left.

Turning Left onto Poplar Creek Rd. will take you back across the RR tracks one last time. Follow this road to the “T” intersection where it runs into Sugar Grove Valley Rd. At the “T” turn RIGHT.

Follow Sugar Grove Valley Rd. almost .5 miles to 3997 Sugar Grove Valley Rd. and turn Left off the road. You will recognize it from the new bridge which crosses the creek to the little white farm house on the property. Cross the bridge and read the sign. It will tell you to park in the yard and either walk up (remember, it's 400 yds.) or call the cell phone # on the sign for shuttle service.

Edited by Scottech
add Phantom6's directions.
  • Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Scottech

...and if you're going to the eat and meet with the E-TGO crew at Big Eds Pizza, here's the post with the Maytag Man Map:

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/showpost.php?p=58970&postcount=53

Corey and I are looking forward to seeing the folks we've met and meeting the folks we haven't.

(...and of course eating pizza and shooting stuff at the range!)

Edited by Scottech
me thinks your Mom will not like the 1911.

She loved the Springfield XD9, but wasn't too thrilled with the price tag. I'm looking into a used one, or somewhere with a sale.

But, she also loved shooting my Uncle's Black Powder Colt when they were smaller. She did great with it then, and didn't seem to care about the recoil.

It all runs down ot "Which is she more comfortable with" and "Which is she more accurate with?".

And Mike, if she proves you wrong, you give her suggestions on where to find one for cheap :D

Guest Phantom6
if anyone going has a walther p22 or any of the beretta pocket pistols please bring it along, i'd love to test 'em out. thinking about picking something up for the little lady.

i'll have a box of .22 and my two ladies with me (beretta mini cougar 45 and full frame 92fs 9mm)

I'll have a Walther P-22 with me tomorrow but my wife said I can't take her Beretta- she'll be carrying that one.

Guest Phantom6

Sorry gang. No three gun today. I just couldn't get all the targets and target stands rounded up. We'll have the Golf Ball Run, B-27 Qual and the Pigeon Shoot. Next time we will have the three gun scenario "Airport '08, 72 Virgins- No Waiting".

Guest Phantom6
I don't know. I always had pizza and beer. :D

BTW, I once saw a Big Ed's T-shirt in China.

Big Ed's T-shirts have literaly been seen all over the globe. They've also been spotted hanging on some pretty nice globes as well such as Dolly Parton, all of the Miss America contestants from 1983(?) and Toni Rainier (an old friend from the early 70's:D).

Well y'all, it was a great day! Mom enjoyed the 1911 (Ha Mike!) but absolutely loved the XD9. I enjoyed them both. Of course, now Mom has to get both of them (1911 for winter carry and Springfield for summer {at least, that's my excuse ot her}). Whomever loaned me that 9mm ammo, thank oyu very much. I now know I can pass the shooting part of the State Qualification. I also know that I need a new scope, but I already knew that.

I'll get the videos up later, should be by the end of next week, or I can burn up DVDs and sell them! (I kid, I kid)

Gee, you guys had a lot more fun than I had. And all because I want to eat and keep warm. :P

I did get by the gun show before my meetings. $7 to get in (with the dollar off coupon). I bought a can of Strike Hold CLP for $10 discount price. So I figure with the gasoline to get there, I basically have a $20 can of CLP. Reminded me of why I don't go to gun shows.

I thought I was the only one who wears a jacket with shorts. :D

Guest Scottech

I must be getting OLD! :P

I don't know about the rest of the folks that were there, but I was totally exhausted when I left the range! Corey and I arrived at home, ate supper and I sat in my "Dad" chair and then I hear Corey telling me that I'm snoring too loud and he can't hear the TV! :D

I was the same way, I guess we are ready for wheelchairs and walkers.

Probably it was from the excitement and good times had by everyone there. I did manage to get all my stuff cleaned up but it took a lot of time as I did not have the energy to work fast. I do confess the Model 60 got the barrel mopped out but not much else. All the rest got the normal takedown, cleaning and oiling.

Big Ed's was pretty good but not "all that", it was alright and was fun sitting, talking and eating with everyone.

Austin, I stand by my comments that those shoes are the "stupidest looking things I have ever seen", but if nothing else it added to the laughs for the day.

Can't wait to do it again.

Guest Boomhower
Big Ed's is one of those places that you either think is dinky and dumb, or you think it's the best thing since - well - pizza. :D

I'll have to disagree here. Big Ed's is a neat place with a lot of history. There pizza however, while it is far better than any fast food pizza joint, my taste buds tell me to stay in Halls with Gondolier's pizza unless there is an event such as a TGO meet or some other real reason to drive to Oak Ridge. Big Ed's pizza isn't a viable reason for me. YMMV.