A little help

MARKED ON TOP OF BARREL:

J STEVENS AT&T CO.

CHICOPEE FALLS, MASS PAT. SEPT. 16, 1864

SIDE OF THE BARREL:

0 (I think it's an 0)

This rifle has been in the family for many years and we just want to find out what it's worth. Not looking to sell just wanted some info.

IMG_0673.jpg

IMG_0675.jpg

IMG_0676.jpg

IMG_0681.jpg

IMG_0675.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stevens 'Tip-Up' single-shot rifle. Looks like yours is in .32 rimfire. Not particularly rare, but collectors like them as they are interesting and well-made.

Yours looks like it is probably a $400-700 rifle. I know that's a wide range, but it really depends on what a person is willing to pay for that particular rifle.

Show em. I'd like to see them. THe Stevens tip up is a pretty neat little rifle, and a very unique looking gun. The problem with yours is that you can't find ammo for it. It is still a cool conversation piece, and looks to be in pretty good, original condition considering they haven't been made in over a hundred years. I just love the looks of them. They were made in many variations, which lends well to collecting them. Some of them were quite intricate.

Sorry I didn't mean I had more tip ups. My post wasn't as clear as it should have been. I was trying to say I had other rifles that I didn't know much about and I would post pics just to find out info on them. The first rifle has only a few markings on it. The bolt has a marking of "BM" on it. I don't see any names or caliber markings.

IMG_0693.jpg

IMG_0700.jpg

IMG_0698.jpg

The second is a Marlin 88 that looks to be in good condition.

IMG_0703.jpg

IMG_0704.jpg

And the last is a Stevens 59a 410 bolt action. I just like the looks of a bolt action shotgun

IMG_0701.jpg

Thanks for sharing, and I had a pretty good idea what you meant. The Marlin and the Stevens look to be in good shape. They are both inexpensive and fun plinking guns. Maybe $100 for the Stevens and a little more for the Marlin. I like that Marlin!

The first one intrigues me. I don't really know what it is, but it sure looks European; likely British. I'd love to see it in person. Do you have any idea what it is chambered for? That is a fairly high quality gun. There will probably be some proof marks on the under side of the barrel. If someone here doesn't know what it is, I can post the photos on another forum where I'm sure I could find out if you'd like me to. I'm interested to find out as well.

I thought British also, but it has no manufactures name or caliber markings. The only other markings I can find is in front of the trigger guard, it says 11 57. The barrel is about 17-18 inches long. The total length of the rifle seems short. Feel free to repost the pics if you want. If need be I can seed you more pictures.

Thanks

Mike

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQodnnX3EC9VYBynAv-71GRr0g5h8Iq8CUlHmAu_H0KkV74QII&t=1&usg=__HymJAMemiPkNQCFz_LRSMQQkO_o=

After much searching, it appears to be a customized French Lebel. If so, they were originally chambered for 8x60R. I don't have any idea whether these were commercially produced, but I imagine it is a customized military rifle. It appears that it was very well done.

I believe you are correct. I've noticed things about the rifle that made me think it had work done to it. After looking a little harder the 11 57 is really 11557. It matches the number 11557 thats on the bolt. So the action and bolt have the same ser#, that's a good thing. Thanks for the help.

Little touches such as the set triggers, nicely cut walnut stock, and the finely executed checkering suggest quality quality gunsmith work. Anythin is possible, but it looks like British work, and not American. I'd sure be interested in the story behind it, as I've seen scads of custom Mausers, Enfields, Krags, and Springfields, butt that is the first sporterized Lebel I can remember seeing. If you could mamage to find some ammo for it, I believe it would be a fine deer rifle, and you'd be the only guy in camp with one.

Little touches such as the set triggers, nicely cut walnut stock, and the finely executed checkering suggest quality quality gunsmith work. Anythin is possible, but it looks like British work, and not American. I'd sure be interested in the story behind it, as I've seen scads of custom Mausers, Enfields, Krags, and Springfields, butt that is the first sporterized Lebel I can remember seeing. If you could mamage to find some ammo for it, I believe it would be a fine deer rifle, and you'd be the only guy in camp with one.

What exactly are "set triggers"? That trigger setup confused me when I was looking at the OP's pictures of his sporterized Lebel.

One trigger takes up all the slack, or creep, then you are left with a "hair trigger". Today, you can get an artermarket trigger that feels as good as these, but back in the day, that was the only way to have a fine trigger. Double set triggers were more popular in Europe than here. There was also a "single set trigger". I believe you pushed the trigger forward to accomplish the same thing the double set trigger did. You can find double set triggers on a lot of period muzzleloaders. You would also having the option of firing the rifle with just the regular trigger while having a heavier, less crisp trigger pull. This came in handy if you were in a hurry, or if you didn't want the click of the set trigger to give away your position.

Edited by gregintenn