+P ammo in a Beretta 92

mlorr

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Straight Shooter

YES, the M92/M9 will handle it.

Current Military issue is 124gr. +P. What Ive done with my M9, is put a Wolff extra power recoil spring in. I forget what the factory spring weight is, but I went with one two pounds heavier.

That was thousands of rounds ago....nary a bobble since. I shoot and prefer it myself.

Guest Lester Weevils

Have seen aftermarket recoil buffers fer sail for 92 and also CZ75. Do recoil buffers do anything useful on such pistols, or are they pure mouse milk?

Guest Lester Weevils
According to some people.....all buffers are "mouse milk".

I think recoil buffers are for old guys...................:D

:D:P

Hi kwe

Be careful! In future years, if you ever buy a recoil buffer, it will be tacit admission that you have officially become an old guy. Don't trust anybody over 30, by the way. :drool:

Dillon Precision doesn't seem in the habit of pushing mouse milk, but OTOH would not swear that every item they sell is essential. They sell recoil buffers for lots of guns. Here is the one for Beretta 92--

Dillon Precision: Reloaders, Reloading Equipment, Bullet Reloading, Bullet Reloaders

18540_m.jpg

"Buffer Technologies' Recoil Buffer ™ Reduces felt recoil and increases muzzle control, Easy Installation."

Have seen em fer sail other places, Cheaper Than Dirt, etc.

In addition to improved muzzle control, another purported claim is that a recoil buffer makes a pistol last longer by keeping it from slamming itself to bits over time. The enhanced longevity argument would seem the salient feature for a 92 or CZ75, if it is true.

Dunno. I've never had a pistol designed for a recoil buffer, and never tried any aftermarket buffer. Even with +P ammo, the recoil is so gentle on a Beretta 92 or CZ75. +P in a Beretta 92 is no problemo compared to light target .357 loads in my 4" S&W revolver, and nearly imperceptible compared to full-boogie .357 in a lightweight snubbie. Even the typical .380 mousegun is pretty nasty compared to a full-size 9mm.

The old tales of early 92's split slide failure... A 1993 Beretta 92 ought to be past that era. It is claimed that only a few early Military test guns had the split slide failure, but some years ago on the old compuserve gun forum, there was a regular who complained that he had been letting his boss try out an old 92 (not 92FS) and the 92 came apart and whacked his boss on the noggin pretty bad. So maybe it actually is possible with some extant 92's (not 92FS). Supposedly the FS has safety features that keep the slide from getting you in the face if it splits. And they claim the 92FS slide never splits anyway. :yum:

Edited by Lester Weevils
Guest DanE479

Your gun will shoot +p ammo.

My old carry ammo was speer 124gr +p, and that gun shot those things like butter all day long.

Recoil buffers are NOT reccomended. THey can fragment and cause stoppages.

Guest Lester Weevils

Recoil buffers are NOT reccomended. THey can fragment and cause stoppages.

Thanks for the good info, Dane.

YES, the M92/M9 will handle it.

Current Military issue is 124gr. +P. What Ive done with my M9, is put a Wolff extra power recoil spring in. I forget what the factory spring weight is, but I went with one two pounds heavier.

What improvement did you notice with the stiffer spring?

I have a 1999 Italian 92FS inox, and recently got a 2010 Italian 92FS inox. They look practically identical, and seem to shoot practically identical though the new one may be slightly more accurate. Could be imagination.

The new one seems to have a slightly stiffer recoil spring than the old one. I don't have any way of measuring them. Reckon the old recoil spring has loosened up after a few thousand rounds, or maybe Beretta uses stiffer springs nowadays? They both seem to shoot equivalent.

Guest DanE479

Aftermarket recoil springs that are stronger are cool, but if you shoot lower power ammo for whatever reason, you might have cycling issues. One of teh things tha I have found that can make things alittle more accurate is to drop a lower powered hammer spring in. The single action shots become like butter, and the double action shots become more accurate. You jsut have to shoot a lot to get used to the lesser strength in the trigger pull.

Lester: YOur newer Beretta feels stiffer because it is. 10 years of cycling your old one has taken some of the resistance out of your recoil spring. Depending on how much you shoot, and mess with teh gun at home, I usually reccomend replacing the recoil spring every 5 years on priciple.

Guest Straight Shooter

I can tell a difference in the recoil, its smoother with the heavier spring, not as snappy Id guess youd say. I also replaced the plastic guide rod with a nice SS Wolff steel rod. THAT made a difference, in my Glock21 too. And, added a factory "D" spring, and boy howdy does it really make a difference. And finally, replaced the hammer with a friendly one, dang...I cant remember just now what other Beretta it came from. All that was inexpensive, and absolutely made the gun better. Thousands of rounds now, never done nothing but go BANG...and hit exactly where I aimed. Damned good gun, imo.

Guest Lester Weevils
Aftermarket recoil springs that are stronger are cool, but if you shoot lower power ammo for whatever reason, you might have cycling issues. One of teh things tha I have found that can make things alittle more accurate is to drop a lower powered hammer spring in. The single action shots become like butter, and the double action shots become more accurate. You jsut have to shoot a lot to get used to the lesser strength in the trigger pull.

Lester: YOur newer Beretta feels stiffer because it is. 10 years of cycling your old one has taken some of the resistance out of your recoil spring. Depending on how much you shoot, and mess with teh gun at home, I usually reccomend replacing the recoil spring every 5 years on priciple.

Thanks Dane

I started reloading about the same time I got the 1999 92FS. Maybe it had up to 1000 rounds in it before starting reloading, can't recall. With 124gr JHP, it would cycle on light loads of 4.3 gr W231 powder.

The new 92FS will occasionally stovepipe and never locks back on an empty mag, using that light load.

Had read that W231 is finicky for higher-velocity 9mm and 124gr bullet, so switched to a faster load of 5.4 gr Silhouette powder, which is sposed to be equivalent to WAP and very similar to Power Pistol powder. That cycles all the 9mm pistols and isn't snappy at all, though it is faster than a low-power target load. Seems accurate.

The older light loads will cycle a Kahr P9, a CZ-85, and the old 92FS. But it isn't any more expensive or hassle to just load hotter with Silhouette for all the guns going forward.

Will get a new recoil spring for the old 92FS.

I can tell a difference in the recoil, its smoother with the heavier spring, not as snappy Id guess youd say. I also replaced the plastic guide rod with a nice SS Wolff steel rod. THAT made a difference, in my Glock21 too. And, added a factory "D" spring, and boy howdy does it really make a difference. And finally, replaced the hammer with a friendly one, dang...I cant remember just now what other Beretta it came from. All that was inexpensive, and absolutely made the gun better. Thousands of rounds now, never done nothing but go BANG...and hit exactly where I aimed. Damned good gun, imo.

Thanks Straight Shooter

The old 92 has a stainless guide rod. I think the plastic guide rod is the only diff in the new 92. All the trigger parts are still metal in the new 92. Since the new 92 seems incrementally more accurate than the old one, was wondering if maybe a plastic guide rod offers some kind of advantage. Cant tell much diff in the way the two shoot.

Have been planning to try a stainless guide rod in the new one to see if there is any perceptible difference.

Is the Wolff gunsprings.com as good a place as any to buy the parts?

Can you recommend other good websites that discuss springs and other aftermarket parts?

Thanks

Guest DanE479

Wolff is good sauce.

There's functionally no real difference in a polymer guide rod versus a metal rod. There actually might be a little benefit. There's less wear on the slide, because it's metal on plastic instead of metal on metal. I don't know that for sure, though.

Regards,

Daniel.

There's functionally no real difference in a polymer guide rod versus a metal rod. ...

Ever see the Chuck Yeager 1000 round shoot with the Glock 19?

Guide rod melted.

Same test with XD, guide rod fine, since it's metal.

Important consideration for Zombie Apocalypse.

- OS

Guest DanE479

I've got a marlin .22 for the zombies. Why am I going to waste perfectly good 9mm and .223 rounds on zombies when a .22 will do just fine?

Considering the statistics, nobody is going to fire 1000 rounds in a successive string in combat.

I base my statements and opinions on realistic scenarios. Nobody carries 67 magazines around, therefore his test is irrelevant.

Again, functionally, there is no difference between a polymer guide rod and a metal one

Dane and Ohshoot...prepare to lose your brains.....from a distance a 22 is not very likely to penetrate the front part of the skull....now up close mafia style

Now now, 50 yards and less .22 should be adequate.

Yes, you'll get the occasional glancing blow off skull, but that's what the semi-auto is for. Even with 2 or occasionally 3 shots each, way ahead with overall firepower considering weight of ammo.

Plus, you can be pretty precise, so bridge of nose/between the eyes where there's not much resistance is the target of choice for those coming your way.

For the ones that haven't spotted you yet, time to take nice perpendicular shot at temple or above the ear.

Sorry for derailment....

- OS

Guest DanE479

Ohshoot:

I was just about to make that exact same point. Hitting the T (eyes/bridge of nose) is a breeze with .22, and my follow up shots are easier than slicing butter with a lightsaber... and about as messy...

I also have a Browning A bolt II in .22lr that can drive nails (tacks are a little bit of a reach) at 75yds all day long. I've got maybe 5K rounds of .22 floating around between here and my hold-point. .223, 9mm, and .45 are people killers. .22LR, Chainsaws, and flame throwers are for killing the undead.

Guest Straight Shooter

Yes, the ONLY aftermarket springs I buy are Wolff. I have them in my 10/22's, M9, Glock21, soon in my SP101. They are superb. I also love their mag springs.

Guest Lester Weevils

Thanks TNHawk, the berettaforum.net is an interesting read.

Straight Shooter, have you tried this Wolff gadget for 92?--

Springs for BERETTA 92, 96, AND CENTURION Semi-Auto Pistols

92%20Trigger.JPG

"This coil spring trigger return unit requires no modifications at all to the pistol other than the removal of the factory trigger spring. The main benefit of this unit is the elimination of trigger spring breakage. Additional features include smoother trigger pulls and improved staging.

We are offering three variations of the unit. The INS unit which is essentially equivalent to factory strength. A reduced power unit for lighter pulls and an extra power unit for faster, crisper returns. "

=====

I don't really have much issue with the feel of the beretta trigger on mine. Had a trigger job done on the old one a long time ago, dunno exactly what the gunsmith did. It seemed a little smoother afterward, but the new one is fairly smooth too.

A lighter DA pull wouldn't hurt, if it didn't affect anything else about the action. Am quite happy with the SA pull stock.

I have a S&W 586 that has a really light SA pull. The SA pull was very light before its trigger job, and the gunsmith didn't change that. Only smoothed up the DA pull. The 586 SA pull is so light I consider it dangerous unless you only cock when aimed at the target and ready to shoot. Wouldn't want that kind of hair-trigger behavior on the 92's.

Edited by Lester Weevils