1st and 2nd look at the Phoenix Arms HP22A Range package

RobertY

First I must apologize to those of you that have read the first part of this in the want to buy .22 pistol thread in the Classified section. The first part is a copy and paste from that thread on the first time out with one. The second part is NEW and a look at the Phoenix Arms HP22A Range package that we got in exchange for the first one.

---- copy and paste starts here--------

Ok, more on the Phoenix Arms HP22A Range package with 5" barrel. Guns and Leather gladly with no problem ordered another one for us direct. It came in today and was ordered yesterday morning. So that part is lightning fast. We will see if we just happened to get a lemon or what. Will have to wait till we go to the range.

Opps? You ask what happened to the first one? Well... um... err...

We went excitedly to the Farnsworth Range with our very own fire arm. It was hot extremely hot. Inside the range I bet close to 100 degrees. I know, nothing to do with the Phoenix, but had to do with helping the mood turn sour in a hurry. Anyways we rented one lane.

Penny loaded up the clip with CCI's. Oh, Farnsworth was nice and gave us a few reactive targets to stick onto the paper target. Opps point wondering here but using a delay tactic. Please hold while I stuff my mouth full of a Twixt Candy bar.

Crap, long story short. Out of 20 rounds of CCI there were 11 clicks. Penny getting very frustrated and even more with each empty "click". She would set the pistol down (facing down range) and back away from it. I would clear the chamber for her. Now here is a point of note. I do not know what all the fuss is about when people say that clearing this model is a pain. For me it was easy. I know that is beside the point as it should not have been happening.

Well, I got a wild hair up my butt and decided it must be the ammo. Maybe a bad run or something. So I went out and bought a 50 box of Blazers. Penny loaded up the clip. Grr... result was 5 out of 10 clicks.

Now on the PLUS side. When it did go BANG I could not get over the accuracy. I had the target ran out to 10 yards. Was using a 3" paste on reactive target I was shooting at. The 7 shots that went bang for me ALL hit inside that target. Keep in mind frustration level was high due to all the "clicks", also wife was getting PE'oed so that added to it, and the heat was through the roof.

Guns and Leather did say we got a dud. I will let everyone know how the second PA does. Yes, I will be honest just like with this one. So please keep snickers and gloating to a minimum till the second report comes in which will probably be next Thursday.

----- copy and paste ends here and new part begins -------

Well today I got my Dad to take me to Coal Creek Armory. After the first Phoenix Arms ordeal Penny wanted NOTHING to do with this second one till after it was tested. She was afraid of it. Once at Coal Creek Armory I went ahead and purchased one of those limited $75.00 range passes to go ahead and try to start saving some money. I picked out 2 targets while my Dad did his paper work as he has never fired there. Well he has not fired in a long time since his Military (Navy) then Brushy Mountain Guard days.

Well I am boring you all so on to the second report. I have to say that I was expecting the worse and was prepared to ask for my money back or in store credit.

I loaded up the first clip fully with 10 rounds of CCI ammo. Since my Dad took me I let him have first crack at it. Holy Crap! It went bang the first time! When he pulled the trigger the second time we got the dreaded "click". He put it down and I was going to try and clear it. This time I was having problems. He told me to put it down and to go get the range master to clear it. They were nice when I told them what I had but they did say "oh no, I hope this one is not as bad as the one the two guys had that just left". My heart did a little sinking thing. The guy came in and he got it cleared.

My Dad picked it back up and pulled the trigger again. "Click."

He looked at me and said, "I don't know if I like this thing." This time I was able to clear it with no problem. Then I dropped the mag and took all the ammo out and reloaded it.

Once again my Dad picked it up. All remaining 7 shots fired with out a hitch. So we are now looking at 2 out of 10 fail to fires.

I loaded up the clip with a short 5 trying to reason maybe it does not like a full clip for some reason.

My turn. All 5 fired smoothly. YES! I repeated the just 5 in the clip. Once again all 5 fired! Ohhh... I think I am starting to have fun and get a little ray of hope. We are now down to 2 out of 20 Fail to Fires. Repeat the short 5 stack twice more. 10 more perfect fires! 2 out of 30! Getting better. Repeated twice more with 5's. Again all BANGS! We now stand at 2 out of 40.

Now I just had to find out if it was the full clip that did it or not. So I loaded all 10 in the clip.

I am happy to say that ALL 10 went BANG! So we wound up at 2 out of 50 Fail to Fires with the failures being at the 2nd and 3rd rounds. I have no idea what caused them except for when I looked at the ramp at home (before range) there seemed to be a little bump of something on the ramp. Did not know if that was normal or not so I left it there. After getting home when I took it apart to clean it I noticed the bump was gone.

I do not know if I properly cleaned it or not as the instructions in the booklet in as far as cleaning it are very vague. But it looks clean to me. :D

But this is the second look at the Phoenix Arms HP22A Range package with the 5" barrel. I know that 50 rounds is a very low round count as far as testing. But am now looking at a bit more sunnier sky and a ray of hope.

I will try to convince Penny to take me tomorrow so she can take a crack at it.

Hope I did not bore you all to much.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow mousegunner! That was a great article that you did and also a great review. You put a lot of time and thought into it. Makes me feel better about my purchase also. I do have a question for you. Have you made the "modification" on yours or is yours still stock? But Thank You for that link to your article.

Oh, one thing that I did forget to mention in my account is that I did have trouble picking up the front site on the replacement for some reason. May have been the lighting conditions or something. Has anyone painted their sites? I am thinking of painting the upper half of the rear sites a dayglo green and the upper half of the front site a dayglo orange.

Thank you for sharing your experiences with the Phoenix Arms HP22A. Most of the time, it turns out to be a good firearm. I never had any trouble with mine. I have had both the .22 and the .25 version, and each was 100 percent. Here's my little write up to go along with your range reports......Phoenix Arms HP22A .22 LR Pistol Review

Great article... scary pistol

I have not experienced much trouble with the safety locks on the HP22A. After all, I do not consider this to be a ccw gun, just a fun plinker. So, fiddling with safeties is a non-issue, in my opinion. Glad you liked my little review. Your range report was excellent.

Thank You mousegunner.

Well today did not pan out. The day went haywire so did not make it to the range. So will be next week. (sigh)

But to keep my memory fresh I put a piece of paper in the gun case with 2/50 CCI on it so I can keep an exact performance count going.

Besides painting the sights I have also decided to get the shorter 3" barrel for it. The empty slot of it in the case is driving me nuts. LOL!

You need to keep in mind that this thread is specifically about the Phoenix Arms HP22A which was $140.00 out the door. I will keep everyone posted of its continued use and how it continues to do. Not fair trying to compare a go cart to a Stock Car. ;) For a .22 practice only fire arm I needed something easier on the wallet so I could afford a bit better carry gun for the wife when she gets her HCP.

So I am trying to give an honest review of a much cheaper gun to see if it remains a viable option for those that want to stick their toe in the waters at not a hefty price of $300+.

I freely admit the first one was a lemon to the max and was not fun at all. BUT, I got great service at Allen's Guns and Leather and he exchanged it at no cost and even paid the second TIC costs himself. So far this one is doing a lot better. But we will see how it holds up. Phoenix Arms says that they now produce a much better product than they did before their Canada facilities burnt down and they moved to California. Myself, I am just holding a we will see how it keeps on doing attitude. :rofl:

You need to keep in mind that this thread is specifically about the Phoenix Arms HP22A which was $140.00 out the door....

I've shot Mosinon's mighty Phoenix. It ran fine and was quite accurate.

Who knows for sure about any gun.

I just sent off my 6 week old Beretta NEOS.

Cost me $28.50, too, which along with the hassle makes the pretty damn good deal I got on less pretty damn good.

- OS

I have a HP22 that I bought on impulse when I bought my Ruger SP101. It's turned out to be a nice little plinker. I stick it in my back pocket when I am out in the yard and if I see something I want to shoot at, I do. I've never had a problem with it.

So I take it that if things go wrong with your fire arm and you need to ship it back for repair that you can't just use one of those Priority Shipping boxes?

You can ship long gun 'bout any way you want.

Handguns can't go USPS period from individual, so you have to use UPS or FedEX, and according to THEIR rules (not federal law), has to go overnight.

Cheapest overnight was $28.50. I decided in this instance to go ahead and send it as per UPS rules. It's already there.

My first and last Beretta, I'm sure...think I may well do another thread, not about the gun, but their repair policy.

- OS

Finally back on the net after almost a week of no net. It was a very horrible experience. LOL!

Just to do a fast update. Went back to Coal Creek Armory range today. Penny (my little lady) brought us. She was skeptical about this one even though I told her it was behaving.

We took turns shooting off clips loaded up short 5. We once again used CCI's. Both of us was very pleased. We ran 55 rounds through it and no a single fail to fire. So that brings the round count up to 105 rounds with only 2 fail to fires being at the 2nd and 3rd shots. So it is looking much better.

I think Penny is starting to relax a bit. Who knows she may even start enjoying herself. :P

Oh, as a side note we rented a Bersa Thunder .380. We only purchased 10 round because I wanted to see how Penny did. She did fine with it.

Oh, back to the Phoenix Arms. I have noticed that most of our shots are going to the right of center. Well, probably in the range of 90% of them. So next time we go I will have to remember to use that rest thingy to steady my hand to see if it is us or the rear sites need adjusting.

• 2 months later...
... Phoenix Arms HP22A which was $140.00 out the door. ... BUT, I got great service at Allen's Guns and Leather and he exchanged it at no cost and even paid the second TIC costs himself....)

He just quoted me $150 something plus sales tax and background. I wonder if they went up or he just likes you.:shrug:

This brings back memories.

My dad bought me a nickel HP-22 for my 18th birthday as my first pistol. In his defence he is not a gun guy.

After about 300 rounds of ammo with maybe 70% reliablity a 1/4 inch section of the slide under the ejection port flew off over my sholder.

The only reason I bothered sending it in for a replacement is because it was a gift from my dad.

I hate to knock any american made product but please stay away from all Phoenix Arms product.

This brings back memories.

My dad bought me a nickel HP-22 for my 18th birthday as my first pistol. In his defence he is not a gun guy.

After about 300 rounds of ammo with maybe 70% reliablity a 1/4 inch section of the slide under the ejection port flew off over my sholder.

The only reason I bothered sending it in for a replacement is because it was a gift from my dad.

I hate to knock any american made product but please stay away from all Phoenix Arms product.