took my new to me mosin 90/31 to the range today (purchased about 6 months ago) and put about 50 rounds down range. Shooting targets @ 50 yds & 100 yds. Much more accurate @ 50 than 100. Shot off center to right on both targets, probably because I would flinch when pulling the trigger. Looks like a Nancy pad is on order, my shoulder is already getting sore and I think I spot some discoloration. Just call me Sally.........however, it sure was fun to shoot, now that I've broken it in solo, I will not be embarrassed to go to Norris with the usuals for a day of shooting. :D

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, its about time! :death:

Did you shoot with bayonet on? If not, that could explain shots being off-center.

There is nothing more manly than admitting a Nancy pad is necessary for proper shooting of the Mosin. It extends the length of pull and allows you to shoot all day. Not just 50 measly rounds. :D

Edited by Garufa
Well, its about time! :death:

Did you shoot with bayonet on? If not, that could explain shots being off-center.

There is nothing more manly than admitting a Nancy pad is necessary for proper shooting of the Mosin. It extends the length of pull and allows you to shoot all day. Not just 50 measly rounds. :D

no bayonet, but the rangemaster ask me if I was going to put it on! I have developed a technique when firing: aim, steady, fire, and GRUNT loudly so the peeps next to you hear you! I know I was annoying to those around me. But dang, that sucka had some kick and this lily just wasn't use to that. Garufa, let me know next time you guys go to Norris, I can go now.....

you gotta shoot it with the bayonet on it or you will drive yourself crazy chasing the point of impact.

I look forward to seeing your rifle, I did not know they made a 90/31 :death:

see, that's how much pain I'm in......got my numbers backassward. EXCUSE ME!!!!! 91/30 - happy now!!!!

were you shooting that thing off of a rest of were you supporting it with your elbows?

elbows, my luck if I were shooting off a rest it would fly back and break a rib.....I did have the muzzle on a rest while maintaining a FIRM grip. My jaw got jarred a few times as well, think I knocked a tooth loose.....

your method of shooting is why it hurt so much. If I shoot it supported it feels like I am getting hit by a sledge hammer.

Seriously makes me want to cry. And I am pretty sure it knocked a filling loose doing it that way. a while back.

Support it with both of your elbows and the recoil is much easier to manage.

Guest eyescream

The bayonet does wonders for helping you get a little more consistent point of aim. If you don't have one, or you just don't like shooting with one, there is another option you might want to look at for calming down the wandering muzzle of your Mosin.

Guest Straight Shooter

Im gonna have to experiment with the bayonet on/off. I do not doubt any of you guys experiances, but, until I see for myself that a bayonet actually helps accuracy, Im a bit doubtful.

And, if you wanna feel some REAL pain, try some 180-200 grainers. BRUTAL.

Guest eyescream

Ammunitiontogo's got some 203grain Silver Bear in x54R. They're…stout. lol

My wife shot some out of her M44 and after the first round she let go with a pretty loud yelp. I guess that reminded her to really grab hold of the rifle, and to pull it into her shoulder a little better, because after that she did fine.

Guest eyescream

Also, as for why it's better with the bayonet extended, it has to do with the way the Soviet military trained during the first and (to a lesser degree) second world wars. The rifles were sighted in with the bayonets extended, and that's how soldiers were trained to use them. Having the bayonet folded back, or taken off completely, has an effect on the harmonics of the barrel and can affect your accuracy. If the OP just doesn't want to have the bayonet out, his other option is to drift the sights a touch to compensate for the difference. The corking (link I provided in another post) will help tighten his group, but doesn't really have anything to do with the POA like the bayonet does.

Guest HvyMtl

Hmm 203 grain through a 1891/30? I wonder if that is a good idea. I have been warned by other Mosin Nagant owners not to shoot the heavy ball through 1891, 91/30, 38, 44, 91/59's. I was advised it was fine though the M39 Finn, as the barrel is heavier and stress tested to a higher standard...

So, basically, I use light ball 147-8 grain in my 91/30 and heavy Yugo M30 through the M39. But, that is my 2 cents.

Anyone try Prvi Partisan non-corrosive? I am wondering if the additional cost would be out weighed with the ability to reload.

Hmm 203 grain through a 1891/30? I wonder if that is a good idea. I have been warned by other Mosin Nagant owners not to shoot the heavy ball through 1891, 91/30, 38, 44, 91/59's. I was advised it was fine though the M39 Finn, as the barrel is heavier and stress tested to a higher standard...

That sounds like a load of BS.

Guest HvyMtl

Yeah, I thought about it, Garufa, if it is B.S. or not. Did a quick check, seems to be some validity... Wish I could find the original thread I had about the right ammo to shoot from another site... but I think it is long gone...

So, here are 2 articles I could quickly find:

General Articles

"There also seems to be trend of favoring heavier bullet weights. These rifles were designed to fire the 148 gn. standard ball. The heavier weighted rounds are primarily designed for use in the SVD and light machineguns."

The Model 1939

"The overall length of the barrel remained the same as the previous m/27 and m/28-30. The interior bore diameter was increased from .3082" of previous models to.3100" on the m/39. This change was due in part to allow the use of captured Soviet ammunition and machine gun ammunition which often times was of a slightly greater bore diameter than it’s Finnish counterparts. The rifling twist was also changed to one twist in 10" rather than one twist in 9.5" on the m/28-30 (5)."

Guest 1817ak47

we have shot a few round of cheap steel cased 203gr sp's and it seemeda little harsher. btw I have m44 and 91/30 sight adjusting tools coming in.

Guest smileyguy
Im gonna have to experiment with the bayonet on/off.

I'm gonna have to do a little experimenting as well. I may be wrong, but it is my understanding that shooting with the bayonet extended applied to the m44 only.

One thing I know for sure is that different ammo will change the POA.

Guest eyescream

After reading more about it I believe you're right. Having the bayonet fixed doesn't look like it applies to the other models.

If it's still patterning instead of grouping you still have a couple cheap options that don't involve rebarreling the gun. So that's okay.