Damn, I feel old!

Guest jackdm3

Guest jackdm3

25 or so years ago I hated a band because of their dark imagery (walking dead man, brains-on-the-dinner table on their posters) until this song hit me. I listened instead of looked, for once. What a positive-speaking musical group! Totally antithetical to their image, they said "Live for now. Live the best you can!"

This is for those who were there or the young-at-heart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwB9zg7Tbx8

Or if you have a problem loading:

Edited by jackdm3
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

January 1985, standing outside the Municipal Auditorium for the Iron Maiden/Twisted Sister concert. Had been snowing all day and was freezing cold. My brother and I were complaining about the bitterness of the weather when the guy in front of us said "I got something to take the chill off" and produced a few tiny purple pills in a cigarette cellophane wrapper. My brother and I eagerly grabbed up the contents and paid the guy $2.00 a pop (we partook of just about anything when we were teenagers) and under the tongue they went.

Let me tell you, LSD and Iron Maiden concerts do not mix. That was 3 hours of pure hell and a valuable lesson.

For the record, I no longer do drugs, but had my share during my younger and wilder days. Now, I'm old and boring and glad to be just that.

Iron Maiden wasn't all the satanism/evil/whatever that they were made out to be. Listen to the lyrics of their songs. Aces High, about the Battle of Britain. Run To the Hills, about American Indians being hunted etc. Kinda like a history lesson while headbanging! Love me some Maiden.

Back in the day, the only way you got to hear any of those metal bands was by word of mouth. None of the radio stations would play any of it except at midnight on Sundays when "Metal Shop" would come on. Going to school on Monday always sucked, having been up half the night.

I find it amazing how mainstream Ozzy, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Dio and AC/DC have become. You weren't allowed to listen to any of that stuff unless you were a long-haired juvenile delinquent stoner, in my day (I fit the criteria back then). Last AC/DC concert I went to, it was a bunch of yuppies and no pot smoke. Oh how times have changed. They used to just pass joints up and down the rows, when I was a kid and nobody turned it down or cared.

Sorry for waxing nostalgic. Those were simpler times with no responsibilty or cares in the world. You didn't have to worry about paying your motgage, having the government take your money or having some street thug shoot you for no apparent reason. The '80's had a kind of magic about them mostly becase a gentleman by the name of Reagan made us feel safe, secure and free.

Edited by tntnixon

Up the Irons.

I have been a fan since the release their first LP (1980). Now that should make you feel old.

How many of todays kids have even listened to to an album on a turntable.

First saw then in 1983 on The Number of the Beast tour. I even caught a drum stick from Clive Burr.

Back in 2008 Billboard magazine paid Maiden the unique honour of having the front cover Billboard logo in Maiden font style, marking the first time in the magazine's history that it did not have the copyrighted Billboard logo on the cover.

billboardcover.jpg

lol...yes I am still a fan.

I am a long time Maiden fan too. The first time I heard "The Trooper" I was hooked. Their music is top notch with great lyrics and they pay homage to some of the best literature, mythology, and figures in history. Nikko is an awesome drummer backed up by some other pretty talented guys. :-p

Robert

Guest jackdm3

This was probably my favorite solo of theirs. Memorable. Melodic. Touch of emotion on the end. I just hate that they don't allow me to open a vid window so you can see how easy he makes it look, without having to go over to Youtube to see it.

Guest jackdm3

Odd thing is that when he got suited (literally) up to fly the band's plane, he cut his hair off to look the part. Didn't think that was required.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jackdm3

I was nine. A year before my first concert, I think. (Hall and Oates and a heavy dose of pot smoke) Also the one and only year I played on a soccer team and the only goal I made that year was a bounce off my head and into my own goal! The year I was splitting up with two girlfriends and worrying myself sick over how it would play out when I was go next year to a totally different school, White Station Junior High.

January 1985, standing outside the Municipal Auditorium for the Iron Maiden/Twisted Sister concert. Had been snowing all day and was freezing cold. My brother and I were complaining about the bitterness of the weather when the guy in front of us said "I got something to take the chill off" and produced a few tiny purple pills in a cigarette cellophane wrapper. My brother and I eagerly grabbed up the contents and paid the guy $2.00 a pop (we partook of just about anything when we were teenagers) and under the tongue they went.

Let me tell you, LSD and Iron Maiden concerts do not mix. That was 3 hours of pure hell and a valuable lesson.

For the record, I no longer do drugs, but had my share during my younger and wilder days. Now, I'm old and boring and glad to be just that.

Yeah but this was cheapest concert I EVER went to at a whopping $9.50 for tix. I avoided the drugs(wasn't old enough to drive and knew mom would know if I did anything) and must say, I had a GREAT time front row!! Even got to talk to the blonde guitarist, Dave Murray? I really love to hear Dickinson's voice. I always felt it was a little wasted with the metal music but hey, it was his life and I loved Iron Maiden and Eddie!!

1980 I was recovering from the 70's.........my hair is thinner now, I rub my joints instead of smoking them (arthritis), I fart after I pee, everything that works hurts and if it don't hurt it don't work, my eye sight is bad, hearing sucks, memory shot, things I use to do all night take me all night to do, the highlight of my day is making sure I take a chit, so to the OP: DAMN I FEEL OLD!!!! :drama::-\:panic:

Guest jackdm3
Yeah but this was cheapest concert I EVER went to at a whopping $9.50 for tix. I avoided the drugs(wasn't old enough to drive and knew mom would know if I did anything) and must say, I had a GREAT time front row!! Even got to talk to the blonde guitarist, Dave Murray? I really love to hear Dickinson's voice. I always felt it was a little wasted with the metal music but hey, it was his life and I loved Iron Maiden and Eddie!!

Rejoice, dear hearts. His voice can be found across the airwaves from his headset as he flies the band from town to town. He may have gotten shorn of his own accord, but I wanted to know from the pilots here, "If it's a plane he owns, and he has a license, why does he have to wear the pilot getup when flies for himself?"

maiden.jpg

maiden2.jpg

Guest tntrucker

Originally Posted by Buzz87 viewpost-right.png

Yeah but this was cheapest concert I EVER went to at a whopping $9.50 for tix. I avoided the drugs(wasn't old enough to drive and knew mom would know if I did anything) and must say, I had a GREAT time front row!! Even got to talk to the blonde guitarist, Dave Murray? I really love to hear Dickinson's voice. I always felt it was a little wasted with the metal music but hey, it was his life and I loved Iron

You guys don't know what cheap concert tickets were really like. The last rock concert I went to was (ACDC/ Knoxville/ mid 70's) A special half price sell $3.50 each. Regular price was $7.00 a ticket.

1980 I was recovering from the 70's.........my hair is thinner now, I rub my joints instead of smoking them (arthritis), I fart after I pee, everything that works hurts and if it don't hurt it don't work, my eye sight is bad, hearing sucks, memory shot, things I use to do all night take me all night to do, the highlight of my day is making sure I take a chit, so to the OP: DAMN I FEEL OLD!!!! :lol::-\:)

+1 can't remember ticket prices back in the 70's but saw alot of good concerts. ftncityfb ya ever think the ridgetop tavern would be a church

Rejoice, dear hearts. His voice can be found across the airwaves from his headset as he flies the band from town to town. He may have gotten shorn of his own accord, but I wanted to know from the pilots here, "If it's a plane he owns, and he has a license, why does he have to wear the pilot getup when flies for himself?"

maiden.jpg

maiden2.jpg

Don't know why, maybe he wants to. Travolta has a plane similar in size that he owns and I think I have always seen him in uniform and he has a runway and hangar at his house!

Exploring John Travolta's Airport Home - Telstar Logistics