Help with shotgun prices??

hydroracer

I am looking to sell some older shotguns and one rifle to help fund a different adventure...however, I am not real knowledgable when it comes to shotguns or even pricing them and was hoping you all could give me some advice..here they are"

Ithaca model XL-900 20 gauge-3 95%

Ithaca 20 gauge model 500 o/u 95%

Remington Targetmaster model 510-x 90%

Browing-Stevens 620 16 gauge 85%

Any help on what I should begin to ask would be very much appreciated.I would like to take them to a gun show and try my luck there but I tried to search online and come up short..so .. Thanks in advance everybody..

I have tried and tried to post pics of them..just cannot figure it out!!!

Edited by hydroracer
fix
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Head on over to gunbroker.com

Search for your particular firearm and you should get a range of price points as a guide for evaluation.

This would give you a starting point before going to a gun show and getting lowballed.

Another cool place I found is armslist.com, like craigslist, only for guns. I sold a rifle a while back and got a fair price from a knowledgeable buyer.

Be careful when selling on-line! Don't invite an unknown potential buyer to your home, meet in a public place!

As a side note, please review the locked thread regarding "how much is my gun worth" There are some other great search options listed for firearm eval.

Edited by Gotthegoods

Thank you very much and I will check those places out. I wanted to get some ideas before I went on prices so I do not get low balled like you said. I am hoping to score a Glock 19 3rd gen out of maybe one of the shotguns so I will do some research at those places before I go. I greatly appreciate the sites and the advice. It is somewhat sad these days that people are not very trustworthy anymore. Well, if they ever were that way to begin with! Anyway, thanks again..

• 3 weeks later...

Concur with checking against the prices on Gunbroker.com. just one caveat, be sure you use the "completed" auctions. Many people ask a high price, and never get the first bid... and the auction closes. Others start at a low price, and put such a high "reserve price" that the bidders never get there and the auction closes. Use everything at your disposal, including the latest Gun Digest price catalog. Average them for comparable guns to yours, and you should get a pretty good idea. Gun prices seem to vary quite a bit, based on the region also. Guns in the North east will be higher than the same gun, say in Georgia or Texas. So, keep that in mind. Everyone seems to have a "rare" or "hard to find gun". Do a little research to see if they really are "rare" enough to fluctuate the price. Finally, if the gun is still in production, look to see what a brand new one sells for. you'll find some asking more for a used gun than what a new one sells for. A fair price is one that is fair to the seller, as well as the buyer. hope this helps, and good luck.

I agree on the gunbroker. A note though, to search completed auctiosn you must be signed in as a registered user. A guest will not get the completed option in the drop down menu. Also, once you have the completed auction list just click on bids, twice, to get the most bids up first. I find this most useful. I then look at average bid made regardless if it sold or met reserve. This tells me what others were willing to pay. You will see a lot of bids in the same range on common guns, if the price is substantially higher you will find it is usually a finer or rare model and/or it has more things with it.

I'll just pile on here: register with gunbroker.com, so you can see actual closed auctions wherein firearms actually sold. There is a world of difference between the "going, going, gone" prices visible to anyone vs. true sale prices visible to registered members.

To repeat the earlier posters even more, please read this and follow it in order to maintain your good standing here at TGO: http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/handguns/33631-read-first-before-posting-how-much-my-gun-worth-thread.html .

For posting pictures, Flickr.com doesn't seem to play nice with this website; I've had good success with TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting (single photos), and Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket for posting pictures on the trading post here at TGO.

Also, if I had four shotguns I wanted to sell, and I wanted to do it without investing more than the minimum necessary free time, I'd consider purchasing "benefactor" status here on TGO. I just sold a pistol in less than 24 hours here with minimal effort, and never had to bother with a gun show, etc. Most everybody who visits this site wants more guns - it might be economically advantageous to sell them here, and keep your free time to yourself.