Ready to start

Buying some C&R guns. I'm pretty much a newb at this. Help me out fellow TGO'ers.

I like the Classic Arms webpage, looks like good people to me. I've seen a few posts about them and they look pretty good.

What you guys think and where do you guy like the best to buy from. or does it really matter. Out of all the sites I have been to it looks like they all pretty much have the same stuff.

It is kind of hard also trying to figure out what to get, (some are dated, some not, some matching numbers, varying conditions, different names and manufacturers).

Just got the C&R and looking. Just wanted to start a discussion to see what comes up.

h

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Revelator

On my C&R circuit there is AIM, JG, Classic, Samco, So. Ohio, and gunsnammo.com. That last one has a good selection of the more expensive but better quality Finland-made Mosin Nagants. I would buy from any of them but my preference is probably AIM. AIM has good ammo deals.

I'm not real sure about matching numbers myself. I guess it's good for collector value. Most of the time everything is matching except maybe the magazine. Really, if you want to spend a little more coin look at the Finnish Mosins (I just bought two, see my thread) or the Swiss rifles.

Edited by P. Stegall
Guest HvyMtl

Agreed with Stegall, the M39 Finnish Mosin and the Swiss Schmidt-Rubin rifles are the best bang for buck in the way of accurate Mil surp firearms.

Some versions of Mauser can also be had for good prices right now.

Note: gunsnammo.com have Antique Receiver M39s - which, by Federal Law, are not officially considered regulated firearms, which means you can have them delivered to your door, without the need of an FFL or C&R.

empirearms.com is also a good place for M39 purchase, and has other C&R firearms.

One of the better bets in getting U.S. Military Mil Surp is the Civilian Marksmanship Program

CMP Home

CMP Sales

Make sure you hit eligibility requirements for purchase...

Eligibility Requirements

Presently, M1 Garands, 1903 Springfields, M1 Carbines are more difficult to come by, and are higher priced due to it...

Remember: Place the Original C&R in a safe location. I have been told, you do not sign the original. Make copies and sign them. Send the copies to the places you want to buy before you initiate purchase (several of these places allow for Fax or even Emailed copies...)

Give a copy to your favorite local gun shops, too. May help and garner discounts...

• 3 weeks later...

I like the CZ 82 a lot, it's got a great trigger and good ergonomics. Unfortunately, I got mine before I got a C&R license, so I paid too much. I hope yours works out as good as mine though. BTW...if you need parts, CZ-USA is the place to look. The CZ 83 is still in production and most of its parts fit your gun.

I only got my license this week and haven't bought anything yet. The Nagant revolver is very interesting, especially for the price. I'd love to hear a range report on it.

Nagant revolver:

Take the grips off and hose it down in the parts cleaner until the action is clear of cosmoline and crud. Bow-dry and oil lightly. Tthat will usually take 7-19lbs off the trigger pull and make it much smoother. Pistols made from 1938-1945 have chromed bores which is good if you plan to shoot surplus ammo. It also adds about 20fps to the velocity.

I have used a wide variety of ammo in my Nagant. I settled on .32H&R magnum as the best combination of value and performance. If you load your own, you can get about 1200fps with a 100gr JHP. That's well into .38Spl energy levels. I ONLY use jacketed bullets as lead will build up in the base of the barrel where the regular Nagant cartridge brass seals it. Midway brass is usually good for about 4 reloads as some minor ballooning does occur during firing. My cost is about $170/1000 which does not count my time.

The pistol is more accurate than I am, and soda cans are easy to hit out to 25yds or so. Recoil and muzzle flip are relatively mild. Reloading quickly takes some practice, and is about as quick as a single-action Colt. It does, however, hold seven rounds.

I have several of these revolvers and my 'shooter' has over 1000rds through it, almost all .32H&R Mag. It shows no signs of abnormal wear or stress. It still has a tight action, but the trigger pull is a bit smoother. I started out shooting .32S&W long lead bullets through it but stopped when I noticed that the lead was building up in the barrel recess.

Got both the CZ and Nagant in and I am satisfied pretty much. The cz is in pretty good shape and was dirty. Grip panels are scratched up. I kindof expected it to be in better condition looks wise cause I paid for the hand pic but it is ok anyway. I wonder about the hand picking, but I'll learn as I go. The CZ shot pretty good. It stovepiped on about the second or third round. I cleared it and it did fine after that. It shoots as good as I can aim. I shot some Monarch that I picked up at Academy. That might not be too good but I have always liked the monarch for my revolvers ok, and it is pretty cheap. It came with a holster that is very thick leather and two piece that swivels and detatches.

The Nagant looks pretty good it is 1939 Tula on tag and has a leather flap style holster with a wooden handle two piece screwdriver and cleaning rod all attached to the holster. Have not cleaned it yet but it has a film of lubricant of some sort on it which I don't know if it is cosmoline or something else. Has import mark PW imports on it not in a good place for me but I guess that is where they put all of them.

I'll try to get pics up if I can figure out how to .

h

I kindof expected it to be in better condition looks wise cause I paid for the hand pic but it is ok anyway. I wonder about the hand picking, but I'll learn as I go.

I rarely do the hand picking anymore. I usually end up with nicer looking guns when I don't "hand pick". :meh:

The Nagant looks pretty good it is 1939 Tula on tag and has a leather flap style holster with a wooden handle two piece screwdriver and cleaning rod all attached to the holster. Have not cleaned it yet but it has a film of lubricant of some sort on it which I don't know if it is cosmoline or something else.

I'd be quite surprised if it was something other than cosmoline. You'll likely want to hate cosmoline when you start cleaning it up, but just keep telling yourself "Cosmoline is the collector's friend... cosmoline is the collector's friend..." :)

• 2 weeks later...

The CZ I purchased is missing a part. The (extractor), and I did not notice this I guess because of my inexperiance. That is probably why I had trouble with shooting it. I guess the shell casings just blew out of it on thier own. I called J&G, the company I purchased it from and they told me that the surplus guns sometimes have missing parts. They checked and had the part and said they would send it to me. I am now waiting for it to come in the mail. I don't think it will be any problem for me to install it as it only has one pin and a spring. I will know this part from now on for sure.

I was wondering if any of you have recieved purchases with missing parts. I'm hoping this is a rare occurance.

The people at J&G seemed very nice and helpful. I'll be looking over any future purchases pretty close from now on with some help from friends also who know more than me about this.