Need Computer Help

KahrMan

I am trying to figure out how to make my sons computer faster. He play a lot of online games like WOW and COD. Here is the setup we currently have:

Comcast Cable

Core2Duo E7400 2.8 Ghz

3 Gb Ram

XP Home Ed 2002 Service Pack 3

When we look at the wireless network window it shows his speed at 48-54 Mbps. That is usually in the morning or non peak times. In the evening it sometimes drops down to 1 or 2 Mbps. When it does he can not play WOW.

Macs I know, PCs I do not. Any suggestions on how to make the computer run faster. Also, with this setup, what kind of speed should he be getting.

Thanks

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I am trying to figure out how to make my sons computer faster. He play a lot of online games like WOW and COD. Here is the setup we currently have:

Comcast Cable

Core2Duo E7400 2.8 Ghz

3 Gb Ram

XP Home Ed 2002 Service Pack 3

When we look at the wireless network window it shows his speed at 48-54 Mbps. That is usually in the morning or non peak times. In the evening it sometimes drops down to 1 or 2 Mbps. When it does he can not play WOW.

Macs I know, PCs I do not. Any suggestions on how to make the computer run faster. Also, with this setup, what kind of speed should he be getting.

Thanks

Got your router locked down with WPA, or at least WEP?

If unsecured, could be freeloaders using it.

There are 3 unsecured routers somewhere right here in my apt. building I can log onto.

If it's secured, use wired connection to it, and test in morning and evening also. If same immense loss, call Comcast.

Additional note: you can surf into your router and see what's connected to it.

Most, like LinkSys, are http://192.168.1.1

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
One suggestion, when playing WOW during peak hours, turn down your WOW resolution. There are settings for that. Google it. Welcome to Comcast! You could also increase your memory. That will help tremendously.

More RAM won't do anything for speed.

Even if it would, XP 32 bit can't use it.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Any way that gaming rig can be direct wired to the router with Cat-5? Then watch the Mbps rate at different times of the day. That will tell you if it's traffic inside your own WiFi network or some interference on the WiFi channels (speed stays good on Cat-5), or if it's Comcast getting slammed and dropping your speed (speed drops, even on Cat-5). If it's the later, check your agreement with Comcast. If you're supposed to be getting more than you are, call them. Don't let them tell you the router/modem is bad. Make them send someone out to check the connections at their box.

IME: WiFi + gaming = FAIL. Every microsecond counts.

+1 on the memory not being the problem. 32-bit is capped at recognizing 3.5GB, and will only use 3GB. Now if you switched to Win7, you can load up as much as your motherboard can handle. That said, you know the network speed is dropping. No amount of RAM will overcome that.

Guest drv2fst

Wireless performance tuning is VooDoo. Know one really seems to know what really works. What does work for one person in one location often will not work for anywhere else.

If at all possible eliminate the wireless and go with a Cat-5 connection.

As far as gameplay goes neither Mac or PC can play games quite as well as an XBox or Playstation IMHO.

Wireless performance tuning is VooDoo. Know one really seems to know what really works. What does work for one person in one location often will not work for anywhere else.

If at all possible eliminate the wireless and go with a Cat-5 connection.

As far as gameplay goes neither Mac or PC can play games quite as well as an XBox or Playstation IMHO.

Blasphemy.

PC > *

Guest Letereat!

Do the following. (if your running XP or older, not sure for WIn 7 and newer)

Click start, Run

Type MSCONFIG

click OK

Select the "Startup" tab

UNCHECK Everything

Click OK, or CLOSE

Reboot

REACTIVATE YOUR ANTIVIRUS program

NOW, run a good malware,adware cleaner program like, spybot or adaware for instance,Clean all your temp files and mabey defrag the harddrive

I did a tour for Bellsouth techsupport when DSL first first came online

Edited by Letereat!
...I did a tour for Bellsouth techsupport then DSL...

I did a year of Bellsouth DSL support myself in a previous incarnation.

OP hasn't reported back, but I'd be first interested to see how many neighbors might be sucking his bandwidth at night.

An unsecured wireless, depending on where you live, could make game surfing at a Starbucks seem like lightening.

- OS

Thanks for all the tips so far. Right now the network is unsecured. I had set the security to WPA2 but not all my computers would connect after I did that. Is there a basic security setting I can use that all the computers should not have any problems with? At home we have: an older imac(the one that looks like the table lamp), an newer 20" Imac, a macbook pro laptop, a Dell laptop (running vista), and my sons computer.

Guest Letereat!
OP hasn't reported back, but I'd be first interested to see how many neighbors might be sucking his bandwidth at night.

An unsecured wireless, depending on where you live, could make game surfing at a Starbucks seem like lightening. OS

Good point, if your running your wireless network wide open for everyone to enjoy that could be a problem
Thanks for all the tips so far. Right now the network is unsecured. I had set the security to WPA2 but not all my computers would connect after I did that. Is there a basic security setting I can use that all the computers should not have any problems with? At home we have: an older imac(the one that looks like the table lamp), an newer 20" Imac, a macbook pro laptop, a Dell laptop (running vista), and my sons computer.

Well, WEP is far far better than nothing.

Also, change router name and don't broadcast the SSID (its name).

That will keep all but experts out.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest Letereat!

Is there a basic security setting I can use that all the computers should not have any problems with? At home we have: an older imac(the one that looks like the table lamp), an newer 20" Imac, a macbook pro laptop, a Dell laptop (running vista), and my sons computer. kahrman

I dont think youll have ANY luck with a basic setting for that network. That is pretty complex, you'll need someone onsight to configure that setup

CAT5.yep that is the standard network connector cable

Also, a couple of people mentioned using a CAt-5 wired connection. Is that just a standard ethernet cable or is it different?

Yeah, just standard ethernet.

You still need to secure the wireless, or if not using it, easier to just turn the wireless part off.

- OS

If encryption is an issue gather all the mac addresses from the puters and hopefully your router has a mac address filter where you can put all the stations you want to access the router. This will stop all freeloaders too. Short of that.. Kill the wireless and go hard wired.

Guest drv2fst

I have heard that wireless always drops everyone down to the speed of the slowest connection. If that is true, eliminating the slowest wireless clients from your network may improve speeds for everyone else. Wiring just some computers may make wireless much better for the rest of them.