M&P 9mm

Guest Fwdftw

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about just doing the Sear and the spring and punger? Basically i dont wanna make it heavier lol i like my glock 3.5 connector..

So couldnt i just skip the Duty Spring?

Edited by Fwdftw

im just sayin in the video he did a test pull and it was 4.5 then did the spring and it gained up to 5.5 is theyre a advantage to having more trigger weight im missing? or do they do this for "duty" and "CCW"

im just sayin in the video he did a test pull and it was 4.5 then did the spring and it gained up to 5.5 is theyre a advantage to having more trigger weight im missing? or do they do this for "duty" and "CCW"

I noticed that too. Somebody else may be able to answer better. Trigger pull weight isn't all there is to a good trigger. I'm inclined to do the heavier spring. May not be a duty pistol, but I will carry it sometimes.

This is my first striker pistol. Had a 9mm auto since the '70's, but it's old school. When I bought the M&P, I went between it and a G19. Picked the M&P hands down, mostly because of trigger feel (stock triggers). Besides, the Glock is butt ugly. :rolleyes:

EDIT: BTW... it easy enough to leave the lighter trigger spring in and see how you like it. I would be interested to hear.

I had an M&P - I hated it,trigger was the worst in the business,even with the overpriced Apex kit it was a creaping mess

I even sent the gun back to S&W and they changed out a few parts shipped it back on their dime and gave my a revamped M&P,it was even worse.......

Then when it was time to sell it I could not give it away,it holds no resale value.........(Unlike a Glock)

Since I have bought a ruger than a glock and both new guns walk all over the M&P......I know there are people who like the M&P,I am not one....

What about just doing the Sear and the spring and punger? Basically i dont wanna make it heavier lol i like my glock 3.5 connector..

Yes, just buy the Sear and the plunger. I did and I carry it every day. :rolleyes: I love mine. With the upgrade mine pulls like melted butter. :rolleyes:

It keeps the weight stock. It smooths it out though to where it doesn't feel like 5lbs. I went with the DCAEK and it is awesome. As was said before the smoothness is much more important than the weight of the trigger.

FWIW, as far as the trigger/Apex stuff, if you are marginally mechanically inclined and up to it, you could skip the Apex stuff and just do this*:S&W M&P Trigger Job

...you'll save some money for ammo and very likely end up with a way better trigger then what the Apex stuff will provide, the downside is once it's done it's done so you won't be able to put it back to stock without getting a hold of another OEM sear.

I've done 4 this way and it's actually very easy (hardest part is not losing the freaking miniscule sear-spring and plunger, but you'll be dealing with that even if installing an Apex sear anyhow), plus, you can be conservative in what you shave off and can "tune" it just to your liking if you're willing to take the gun apart a few times to dial it in just-so, you can actually control the lightening and shortening of the reset separately by where you remove material from the sear, and if you still want to try a MA trigger spring or any other spring at some point to see what it gets you you can, but changing springs isn't necessary.

I've fired 5 different M&P's with the Apex sears and/or DCAEK's in them (installed a couple for friends) and while it's definitely a marked improvement over stock, it's really no where near as good as what you can get if you just do it yourself as the Apex stuff is cut fairly "safe" to work as a one-size-fits-all drop-in mod.

*Hint: you don't need a buffing wheel or really a stone for that matter either, a drill, a file and some 600-1500 grit sandpaper will work fine: to radius the firing pin safety plunger just put it into the head of a drill like a drill bit, and then while spinning it hold it down against some 600-1000 grit while rocking it to polish and round it (don't take too much off the top, just polish there), for the sear, any file that's not too big or not too beat up will cut the sear's tool steel easily and after you shape the new curve you can polish it and clean it up with 600-1500 grit sandpaper by rolling over and following the new curve you cut (remember the sear is half the size of one of your fingernails, it doesn't take a whole lot of elbow grease to shape/cut it), go slow and watch what you're doing and it's easy, be conservative and plan on taking-apart/putting-the-gun-back-together a few times if you're nervous, it's easier than you think and you won't mess it up unless you get reckless...

Edited by CK1
Hint

Love my M&Ps (I have the full size 9 and compact 9). The only issue I have is with my full size 9 will slam charge with anything more than 5 rounds in the mag. Not sure how to stop this, but it makes my reloads crazy fast. But I would like to stop it.

Love my M&Ps (I have the full size 9 and compact 9). The only issue I have is with my full size 9 will slam charge with anything more than 5 rounds in the mag. Not sure how to stop this, but it makes my reloads crazy fast. But I would like to stop it.

the only way to stop this is to NOT slam the mags into the gun. Other than that, enjoy the fast mag changes :D

Its just weird that it does this in my full size but not my compact or any other pistol I have owned. I am not really slamming it that hard, I doubt I would be able to baby the mag into the weapon in a SHTF situation, but yeah I would be alot faster the bad guy would think I rack it at ninja speed.

Its just weird that it does this in my full size but not my compact or any other pistol I have owned. I am not really slamming it that hard, I doubt I would be able to baby the mag into the weapon in a SHTF situation, but yeah I would be alot faster the bad guy would think I rack it at ninja speed.

It won't hurt the gun. Over on the M&P forum they actually said it's a desired design. Said they did it on purpose.:D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest m4coyote

Two weeks ago, I purchased a new M&P 9mm full size with the thumb safety, Trijicon night sights, and three mags. I was finally able to shoot it this weekend, and wow, I was impressed. I don't know if the gun just fit me better than my Glocks, or if it just happens to be a very accurate example, but the groups I got with it were considerably better than my G17 or G19.

The only concern with it is the ejection seems somewhat weak. Using Blazer Brass, many of the empties were landing on my right wrist, or thereabouts. Maybe this will improve with some more break in time, but if not, Smith will take care of it.

For $475.00 out the door, I am very satisfied.