Thinking about a 6.8 upper

94user

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will. I have been looking at the Stag for a while. I hear that they are very accurate. The only negative if you can call it that is the 6.8 snobs gripe about it not having M4 feed ramps. I think that $500 for the 20" upper is a very good deal.

Don't get a 20". The 6.8 was designed to be optimal in the 16" and under barrels. You gain virtually nothing in a 20" except weight. You also want to make sure it is a Spec II chamber and a 1:11, 4 groove barrel. Stay away from the 1:9.5 barrels. While 1:10, 6 groove work they are not the best for 6.8. Stag started using the 4 grove 1:11 but some of their earlier models used the 1:10, 6 groove.

Yeh, 6.8 snobs pretty much agree on the feedramp thing, and Smith gave the rest of the

specs to look for. Rock River and Stag are good. You can also take a Dremel and do the

feedramps yourself after you find out they should be on there anyway. They do make a

difference. That's a good price. 68forums.com is a good resource place and they ain't

snobs. You can find out much more there.

Yeh, 6.8 snobs pretty much agree on the feedramp thing, and Smith gave the rest of the

specs to look for. Rock River and Stag are good. You can also take a Dremel and do the

feedramps yourself after you find out they should be on there anyway. They do make a

difference. That's a good price. 68forums.com is a good resource place and they ain't

snobs. You can find out much more there.

What is your verdict on the Stag model 7 upper? I have been a member on the 68forums for a little while and from what I have read the feed ramps do help on the model 7, but are not really needed and it is a very good upper.

I agree. The guys on 68forums are not snobs, but I get frustrated when someone says "yeah, it's a good rifle, it hits everything that you aim at, you got it at a good price, BUT you should have gotten m4 feed ramps". I hate those statements about any weapon when the weapon is performing to the owners satisfaction.

Edited by LINKS2K

Stag is a good 6.8 gun. Really, most of them are

good guns, except like Smith said about the right

specs. The 16 inch barrel, 1:11/1:12 is ideal. The

chamber is what really caused all the problem at

first. I built mine from ARPerformance and Bison

barrels. I had a Model 1 upper that had to be

reamed and lapped before it became a shooter.

Stag is fine, though. If you get one and it shows

pressure signs, I have a reamer you can use.

Every manufacturer let's a bad one loose, once in

a while.

I forgot to ask. How would having M4 feed ramps benefit me?

Feeding issues. The increased feed area keeps the larger round from hanging as much. The .223/5.56 is small enough to where the small non-m4 ramps really only make a difference in full auto type shooting.

The M4 ramps only really help in full auto and with feeding the last 5 rounds or so out of the mag. Got this straight from a Colt engineer while I was working at Barrett.

Take it for what it's worth. And worth exactly what you paid for it.

Actually, any SAAMI chamber will work, unless you use one of the three ( i believe) non SAAMI loads from SSA. As to the M4 feed ramps, as said before unless you are firing full auto, it is a non issue. The original 6.8 SPC was developed by 5th Special Forces Group (again I believe) to function out of a standard M4 that was "slightly" converted.

I just did a test with a recently intriduced 6.8 and it performed very well, all while using the standard SAAMI chamber and faster rifling.

Stay with the newer chamber specs which will be stamped SPC II and preferably

a twist rate of 1:11. Most of the newer guns fall into this categories. As to the

feed ramp opinions of some, mine is also an opinion, so take with a grain of salt,

and get a barrel with M-4 feedramps already cut, or, when you realize your gun

has issues feeding certain ammo in semi auto mode, you can take your weapon

to a gunsmith or get out your Dremel tool.

Actually any chamber won't work, given the variety in available ammunition, unless

you're willing to let someone get hurt, based on your advice. That second chamber

was redesigned to lower excessive pressures and that that second chamber will take

any available ammo. Shot 'em both plenty of times. Had to ream and lap the barrel

I kept(6.8SPC 1:10 twist). It made a huge before and after difference, and I certainly

wouldn't want to have someone go out and buy a particular barrel that can cause

him problems, right out of the box.

Sure, you may or may not have a problem with a particular design feature, but if a

flaw is known to have cause the problem, and a cure is known to exist, I don't know

why one would give advice that may lead to another's misfortune.

I was trying to say, keep your ammo to SAAMI specs and any chamber will work. If you decide to use non SAAMI ammo, then you can't count on a SAAMI chamber working. That's all I was saying. And seeing as how the vast majority of US manufactured ammo is done so to SAAMI specs, you should be fine, unless you use the few non SAAMI loads like those produced by SSA.

Now, as to the benefits of the SPC II chamber, I won't argue that they should change the SAAMI specs to the SPC II specs, but until then, I will use SAAMI spec ammo in my SAAMI spec chamber.