Hooter's in the 'Boro

Guest Glock23ForMe

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote from b(3)C

"A building, property or a portion of a building or property, shall be considered properly posted in accordance with this section if one (1) or both of the following is displayed in prominent locations, including all entrances primarily used by persons entering the property, building, or portion of the property or building where weapon possession is prohibited"

So, a portion of a property or building can be posted. So, I would say that you are not breaking the law inside the first set of doors as long as you don't pass the second set of doors.

Seems like a legitimate posting to me.

What about the fact that it isn't posted on the outermost entrance? Does that have any bearing?

No.

The whole point of the sign is you can't carry past it. So you would have been legal in the foyer area, but not in the restaurant.

Guess they are giving you a chance to get out of the rain/cold before you look for the sign.

Edited by Fallguy
I've been in that particular Hooters many times and seen armed MPD officers at the bar eating lunch or dinner... noone seemed to mind and the weren't asked to leave or arrest themselves (since they weren't there on official business it was 'technically' just as illegal, regardless of whether they are considered off-duty or not during personal time).

With that in mind, I always adhere to the law at least as strictly as those who write them and those who enforce them, since I'm realistic about the whole process being arbitrary. That's just me though.

I am a little confused by this. I figured on Duty in uniform they can carry their weapon. I figured they could carry while on a lunch break?

Is there something I am missing, are they not allowed to eat lunch at a place like this while on duty?

I guess I was wondering how you could tell they were not on duty and there was a chance they might get a call on their radio and have to leave in a hurry.

I've been in that particular Hooters many times and seen armed MPD officers at the bar eating lunch or dinner... noone seemed to mind and the weren't asked to leave or arrest themselves (since they weren't there on official business it was 'technically' just as illegal, regardless of whether they are considered off-duty or not during personal time).

With that in mind, I always adhere to the law at least as strictly as those who write them and those who enforce them, since I'm realistic about the whole process being arbitrary. That's just me though.

I am a little confused by this. I figured on Duty in uniform they can carry their weapon. I figured they could carry while on a lunch break?

Is there something I am missing, are they not allowed to eat lunch at a place like this while on duty?

I guess I was wondering how you could tell they were not on duty and there was a chance they might get a call on their radio and have to leave in a hurry.

Actually the point is moot now....as that is no longer the law and 39-17-1359 signs do not apply to LEOs.

HB0898 that became Public Chapter 605 effective July 9, 2009 removed that restriction in 39-17-1350© for LEOs.

That is also the same bill that prevented beer boards from requring a place to post to be issued/keep a license.

Guest Glock23ForMe
Steering?

Maybe staring... :D But that's not polite.....:)

I was going for what Strel said earlier.... :)

I don't stare, I just glance for an extended period of time

The question still remains as to whether or not charges would stick if agents (employees) of the posted establishment denied visibility of the sign(s). Of course that assumes that the establishment owner is such an anti that he/she'd press charges. I'd guess that the odds are pretty good that a manager would just inform the person of the policy and ask them to leave. It's bad for business to make a big scene.