taking some newbs shooting tomorrow. Suggestions?

Erik88

I'm taking some friends shooting tomorrow. 1 has never shot a gun before and the other has shot a few times.

I want to make sure that safety is the #1 issue and then technique.

Does anyone have advice on how to teach them. I want to be stern with them but also want them to enjoy it too. We will be shooting pistols mainly.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just go over all of the basic rules first before anyone even loads a magazine- finger off the trigger until ready to fire, always pointed in a safe direction, etc.. Only let one person shoot at a time and only while you are right next to them. This is about them learning to shoot and having a good time, so I wouldn't plan on getting a lot of rounds in yourself. When you are shooting though, lead by example even to the point that you are over-exaggerating safe handling. Just make sure that they understand how important safe gun handling is, but don't go overboard and make it scary. And like Mike said, range cold- hands off. Be safe and have fun.

If this will help, I was a first-time shooter about 10 years ago and only a friend taking me got me into shooting for good. Had he been total hard-ass on me, I probably would have never taken up the sport/hobby, and may have ended up being anti-2A. I work completely surrounded by anti's, so it would have been easy. Here's what he did with me:

1. All the safety stuff that everyone has already mentioned.

2. I shot only revolvers and rifles, and he loaded and handed to me each time until HE determined that I was being safe and knew which end of the gun faced forward--LOL! After that, off the line, he showed me how to properly load, keep fingers clear, etc...

3. Stood right behind me and to my shooting side hand, and said that if he EVER put his hand on my shoulder, it meant STOP, point the weapon at the ground, and booger picker OFF the trigger and outside the guard. I took him seriously b/c he was a friend, and an ex-marine!

4. He was patient, and expressed how much he enjoyed shooting, encouraged me when I even hit the target, and told me how much fun I would have if only I would be safe and would listen and learn. If I had been unwilling to listen and learn, he would have dropped me like a bag of dirt. BUT, he made it an enjoyable day and wasn't so insecure that he had to "show off" what a good or smart shooter he was. He knew that he knew alot about shooting and guns, but didn't have to prove it to me by being degrading or condescending. As others have said, he didn't get to shoot hardly at all that day, am I'm grateful for his patience and unselfishness. I did pay for the ammo and range fees, too.

Above all, we had a good time, and now I'm a shooter for the rest of my life!:)

HTH, for what it's worth...

Sounds like me teaching my wife. Since she is jumpy, and not knowing how she would react to the guns recoil, even a little .22 and the bang. I was only loading 1 round at a time until she got a few down range. After she got a few down range I started putting a few more in the mag for her. Monday I am going to start her with a revolver.

If you can, teach them how the guns work before going to the range and if you go to Norris tomorrow make damn sure they know who owns what target. :) :)

That way they can shot Garufa's targets first. :D

Seems I remember you haven't that problems when I met you up there at Norris.

BTW, I have never shot your target yet anyways.

Guys I went up to Desert Rat's place in Grainger County. I was worried the range would be busy since it's a holiday weekend.

My friend that has never shot before ended up not going, he had family issues. But my other friend joined me and shot really well.

Don't believe anything Desert Rat tells you guys BTW :D

They were at my place for a more private shoot. Only one person shoots at a time here.

I was posting and deleting comments while you posted. I was going to tell them how the other guy shot better than you but had decided against embareassing you!

Edited by Desert Rat
They were at my place for a more private shoot. Only one person shoots at a time here.

I was posting and deleting comments while you posted. I was going to tell them how the other guy shot better than you but had decided against embareassing you!

Thank goodness you didn't try to embarrass him. Imagine how embarrassing that would have been.:D
Guest Letereat!

:blink:I Would take on the Persona of RL Ermie in Full Metal Jacket with new Marine recruits.As you recite the basic 4 or 5 part safety blurb

1.THIS IS A GUN, WHEN YOU SHOOT STUFF WITH IT IS DESTOYED!!!!

2.THIS IS THE BARRELL,,...NEVER POINT IT AT ANYTHING U DO NOT WISH TO DESTROY MAIM OR KILL!!!!!

3.ETC ETC Then ask

"DO YOU HAVY ANY QUESTIONS YOU CITY SLICKER MAMBSEY PANTS NEWBS!!!". ETC.ETC. Then if they dont run away in panic stricken fear calmly show them the ropes like they never seen a gun in their life......continue to Lamblast them for any errors of judgement or unsafe practices In The Same RL Ermy fassion though. Thats what id do personally;)

Guest Letereat!
Not to worry! By the time it was over Erik had the New Guy spit shining his boots! He had him field strip the weapon until he could do it blind folded. He even taught him how to reload ammo in the field to use empty cases when he runs out of ammo.Desertrat

:)Lol, well done..... theres always the next time. Im trying to get My uncle on Moms side who hasent touched a rifel since his Air Force days to go with me and bring a non shooting friend who wants to shoot.

Edited by Letereat!