Balance Beam Scale

I'm thinking of purchasing a balance beam scale, and I'd like some recommendations. What do you have? What do you like or not like about it? What do you consider the best balance beam scale? I was reading reviews on Midway about them, and several people had bad things to say about every one Midway offered.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lester Weevils

Hi Greg

In case you would find it useful, I've bought scales from this company, which has a large inventory, good documentation, and prompt shipping--

American Weigh Scales - Digital Scales Wholesale

An curious why you would want a balance beam scale, but am not trying to talk you out of one. Suffered thru college courses with balance beam scales, and the last science course I took in 1974 they had a new-fangled milligram-accurate digital scale. Bet that thing was fabulously expensive back then, surprising they would let students anywhere near it. Just sayin-- digital scales have their advantages.

I'm using a little cheap 10 year old Lyman digital scale for reloading. Seems to work ok for that.

At price points, there is a tradeoff between resolution and max weight. If you need fine resolution, the max weight is pretty small, and vice-versa.

I needed something that would weigh up to about 20 pounds 'as accurate as I could afford' and got a made in usa Acculab Vicon that is accurate to 1 gram, with a 10 KG max weight. I like it a whole lot but it isn't high-resolution enough for reloading. You need at least 0.01 gram resolution for reloading.

They make a nearly identical Acculab Vicon which measures up to 120 grams at milligram resolution. That would be a max load of about 1848 grains of powder, with a measurement resolution of 0.0154 grains. Pretty neat. Maybe Santa will bring me one for Christmas.

Acculab VICON VIC-123 Precision Balance 120x0.001g - American Weigh Scales - Digital Scales Wholesale

vic1mg.jpg

"The new VICON Series are ideal balances for industrial, laboratory, research, educational, postal and speciality applications. Whether you need to weigh multiple samples with totaled results, formulate a color, counting, percent weighing, specific gravity, or under pan weighing, Acculab has the answer in VICON. The new models feature a flip-down protective cover, integrated cal-weights, stainless steel pan and back-lit display."

+1 Great scales. God one over 30 years old. Still weighing charges like always.

Kind regards,

Leroy

My father has an old 5-0-5 RCBS scale. It has served hime well. That might be what I get. I currently have a Lee scale, and it works well and is accurate. I just want something a little easier to adjust and something with a heavier base.

My father has an old 5-0-5 RCBS scale. It has served hime well. That might be what I get. I currently have a Lee scale, and it works well and is accurate. I just want something a little easier to adjust and something with a heavier base.

I used this model for over 20 years before using an electronic scale.

Guest FroggyOne2

I don't get in a hurry.. I used to use a Redding balance scale.. I had used it so much that it would not zero anymore.. well I bought a Acculab VIC-123 scale.. I have used it now for one year.. and I am already wanting to step to a better scale.. balance beam scales are great.. but at the volume of ammo that I load in a session.. the only way for me to go is with a electronic scale.. the VIC-123 is a strain-gauge scale and this type of scale is very accurate.. but they are prone to drifting and to static.. I need to step up to a non strain-gauge scale to limit the drifting. I have shot approx 3000 rounds of rifle ammo this year.. with two more matches to go.

Guest Lester Weevils

Do they make non-strain-gauge electronic scales? Am ignorant of it. What brands/models have you been looking at? AmericanWeigh.com had Vic 123 on a pretty low sale price a couple of weeks ago, but I didn't jump because they have sold Vic 123 for years now. But I looked later and that model is out of stock now. The "equivalent" new model Acculab scales are very expensive.

Guest boatme99

I use both balance beams and electronic balances. I can honestly say that if you're going to do any volume, stick to an inexpensive electronic.

If you're set on a balance beam, go for a "Gram-o-matic" (Ohaus name) with a dial gram instead of trying to slide a weight all day. Tedious and time consuming.

As far as trusting electronics, they've been in use for a l-o-n-g time. They are absolutly reliable and accurate, and require no maintenance other than keeping clean. Beams are a lot more trouble, and pretty much have to be recalibrated every time you use them. That's why the weights are included.