Cycling

Daniel

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mustangdave

Daniel...whats up? you looking for other rides....check out TRACE BICYCLES web page or The Bike Pedaler...I know TRACE Bikes has a calendar listing rides during the week and on weekends...there is also a Bike Rides calendar link I have on my FAVS at home. Visit some of the local shops....most do organized rides...me I do the Smyrna Green ways or other rides...I also have a book that you can pick up at local bike stores with TONS of routes in middle TN. Currently riding a TREK FX7.2...sold you my Specialized Rock Hopper FS

Edited by mustangdave
just cause
Guest KimberChick

Both. I have a Trek 4300 WSD and a Felt F50R. Now that it's not blazing hot I'll be taking one or the other to work to ride at lunch.

The Shelby Farms Greenline is set to open October 9th and will provide a paved, car free trail that essentially cuts the city in half. I can ride about a mile to the nearest trail entrance and get about 6-7 miles in before I ever get to the Shelby Farms Park area.

I've been riding a couple of times a week this year, a mix of road and mountain. Until this year I rode about 10-15 hours a week for the last 8-10 years. I did lots of mountain bike races and a few road races here and there. I have a Yeti ASRc mountain bike, a Trek 5500 road bike, and a Lemond Poprad Disc cyclocross bike. After my son was born (he's 2) it became more and more difficult to spend the time I needed on the bike to race and do the competitive group rides I used to really enjoy. When my wife became pregnant with our second child, (due in Dec), it became even more difficult for me to leave her at home with a toddler to do a 2 hour ride on a weekday. Now my rides consist of pulling my son in a trailer on the greeway, sneaking in a solo road ride from my house, or riding my bike to a park near us, riding the trails and then riding home. I really miss cycling but I had to take some time off of it this year so that when I go back to it I can have a different attitude. It was becoming a source of frustration trying to race and train hard with not enough training time or sleep. Can't really just race for fun when you have a Cat 1 license either. I've done more hiking than ever before this year, and carrying my toddler in a backpack helps burn some calories. It's fun for the whole family, but after all those years of mountain biking, it's hard to look at a hiking trail without seeing scanning for the best "lines" on a mountain bike...

Guest bubruins

Road bike(s) here. The greenway in Murfreesboro is a great place to ride and I occasionally will ride from Murfreesboro to Cannon County and back with some friends. I've also started working on my climbing by riding a single speed Schwinn world sport around Belmont (no worries, it's too ugly to fit in w/ the hipsters bikes). Other than that, I'm still looking for good places to ride in Nashville.

Road bike(s) here. The greenway in Murfreesboro is a great place to ride and I occasionally will ride from Murfreesboro to Cannon County and back with some friends. I've also started working on my climbing by riding a single speed Schwinn world sport around Belmont (no worries, it's too ugly to fit in w/ the hipsters bikes). Other than that, I'm still looking for good places to ride in Nashville.

Warner Park. Lots of hills. Bring a map.

I'm still looking for good places to ride in Nashville.

Check out the Natchez Trace Pkwy if you haven't already. Also, there is a ton of other great places to ride around Franklin, Leapers Fork, etc. etc. There are a lot of routes mapped out on Map My Ride for the area.

Guest bubruins

I've had one other person tell me that it's a good place for cycling. I'll have to try it out here soon with my trusty Peugeot 531 (14 speed). Thanks for the advice.

I've had one other person tell me that it's a good place for cycling.

Just a note on the terrain. The front section is somewhat hilly. Not many flat sections. None are steep. Mainly either short rollers or long gradual climbs. Some folks like it, some don't because of that. Some folks choose to skip the very first 3-4 miles and park at the lot at mile marker 440. If you can, start at the base and ride up since the hill coming back down is worth it. You can easily hit 40 if you want.

Traffic is usually very light with tons of cyclists on the weekend mornings. Most cars and motorcycles will give you plenty of room when passing. The other great thing about the Trace is that you can use it to connect to so many routes in the Franklin area/Leipers Fork/Fly/Columbia area. Numerous 40-60+ miles routes you can tie into the Trace.

Edited by Trekbike

Several years ago I started down the Natchez Trace with a group of five other guys, one truck with a gear trailer, and a goal of riding the whole thing. We did about 100 each day for the first 2 days before running into an ice storm and deciding to pack up and come back. I think it was around MLK day and we obviously started a little to early in the year. It's amazing how spending 5 or 6 hours on a bike in miserable weather somehow seems like a great time a few years later...

I have wanted to get into cycling. I have always been very active. I go to the gym everyday M-F, and run 3-5 miles every or every other evening. Last year I decided that I am gonna get into cycling. I went by one of our local shops and walked out with everything I needed (bike, shoes, shirts, shorts, water bottles, helmet, computer, etc...). This is the bike I bought.

img20100916192843.jpg

I got a Trek Madone 5.2. Wanna know how many miles of pavement it has seen? Zero. I have ridden it on my rollers quite a few times, but it hasn't been outside. I never realized the time commitment cycling takes. Between two hours of commuting each day, golf games, this new hobby of target shooting, I haven't made the time to get out with the bike. It is a shame really considering this is a very nice bike, and I spent a whole lot of money for everything I bought to get into the sport. I am planning finding some people in the area this fall to go ride with. The upside is that when I finally make the time to go cycling, I will have a brand new bike to do it with.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/groups/tgo+cycling+enthusiasts.html

I've been itching to get back into riding and after seeing this thread I started looking through our groups and decided to make one for us. I've never had a road bike but i'm getting one very soon, I've had a few mountain bikes or so the last one being a Giant VT 1. Others were a Gary Fisher Sugar, Specialized Rockhopper, Stumpjumper. I've always wanted a yeti or santa cruz but don't want to shell out 4-5k for one. I'm not 100% sure what road bike i'll be getting but on the lower end I like the Giant Defy2 and in the mids the Giant TCR composite.

I have wanted to get into cycling. I have always been very active. I go to the gym everyday M-F, and run 3-5 miles every or every other evening. Last year I decided that I am gonna get into cycling. I went by one of our local shops and walked out with everything I needed (bike, shoes, shirts, shorts, water bottles, helmet, computer, etc...). This is the bike I bought.

img20100916192843.jpg

I got a Trek Madone 5.2. Wanna know how many miles of pavement it has seen? Zero. I have ridden it on my rollers quite a few times, but it hasn't been outside. I never realized the time commitment cycling takes. Between two hours of commuting each day, golf games, this new hobby of target shooting, I haven't made the time to get out with the bike. It is a shame really considering this is a very nice bike, and I spent a whole lot of money for everything I bought to get into the sport. I am planning finding some people in the area this fall to go ride with. The upside is that when I finally make the time to go cycling, I will have a brand new bike to do it with.

That is a nice damn setup.