Question regarding printing

I have a question concerning printing. I have read several forums and posts which people are concerned about their gun printing through their clothes. Does it matter? I pretty carry my handgun with me everywhere I go, except for work and posted places. I have never worried about whether or not my gun and/or holster is printing through my shirt. Is there something I have missed?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 85rx-7gsl-se
Is there anything to legally worry about....No. (Unlike some states)

However IMO bad/improper concealment can attract more unwanted attention than OC.

I have to agree on this point. If others around you can clearly tell you have a gun and you are trying to hide it from them it will likely lead to alot of suspicion as to your intended use of the aforementioned weapon.

I have to agree on this point. If others around you can clearly tell you have a gun and you are trying to hide it from them it will likely lead to alot of suspicion as to your intended use of the aforementioned weapon.

Agreed. If you OC most people just assume "cop", but heavy printing or a gun peeking out from under a shirt can raise suspicion higher I think.

Guest rsgillmd

I used to worry about printing when I first started carrying a couple of months ago, but quickly realized it was mainly in my head. Short of glaringly obvious printing, most people don't pay much attention to little bulges and curves especially if you are wearing a loose fitting untucked T-shirt or polo-type shirt. I haven't gotten any reactions so far. I got the 911 type shirt initially but don't really wear it because it is too hot to be comfortable. I'd probably look more suspicious wearing a thick shirt than wearing a loose fitting T-shirt.

Part of it is how you carry yourself also. Get a comfortable holster such that you are not adjusting your shirt or holster all the time. Don't hold your arms tightly to your sides -- then the difference will be obvious. And don't look nervous -- just go about your daily duties like usual. There is nothing to be nervous about -- you have a carry permit and are not doing anything illegal.

• 2 weeks later...

Printing is not concealed. If someone sees your gun printed on your clothes and they want to, they can report you to the local LEO and you can get into big trouble. So you do not want to print. I used to worry about this a lot. Not so much any more. My concealed carry guns keep getting bigger and I care less about printing. I'm packing a Colt Government 1911 this fall. As long as it isn't obvious and I'm not acting crazy people just don't notice.

Notice how a changed my stance halfway through this post. B)

Printing is not concealed. If someone sees your gun printed on your clothes and they want to, they can report you to the local LEO and you can get into big trouble. So you do not want to print. I used to worry about this a lot. Not so much any more. My concealed carry guns keep getting bigger and I care less about printing. I'm packing a Colt Government 1911 this fall. As long as it isn't obvious and I'm not acting crazy people just don't notice.

Notice how a changed my stance halfway through this post. :D

Not sure how you can get in "big trouble" in TN or other states that do not require concealment.....

Yes it could get a LEO called and you have to show your permit, but not sure what could happen beyond that.

Notice how a changed my stance halfway through this post. :D

As open carry is perfectly legal in Tennessee this is not a concern here in the least.

EDIT: Oops slower on the draw than Fallguy. What he said.

There are areas in Durhan North Carolina where open carry laws are vague and up to the discretion of the cops. They could arrest you for "Going in terror of the public." Then they could take your Concealed Carry permit. You could probably talk to the D.A. and get the charges dropped or maybe not. My advice is, if your gonna open carry. Open carry. If your gonna carry concealed, make sure it's concealed. That is just my humble opinion. I could care less what you do, but LEOs do not have a sense of humor. They will taze your ass............

There are areas in Durhan North Carolina where open carry laws are vague and up to the discretion of the cops. They could arrest you for "Going in terror of the public." Then they could take your Concealed Carry permit. You could probably talk to the D.A. and get the charges dropped or maybe not. My advice is, if your gonna open carry. Open carry. If your gonna carry concealed, make sure it's concealed. That is just my humble opinion. I could care less what you do, but LEOs do not have a sense of humor. They will taze your ass............

In NC, Florida, Texas and several other states they do have a right to insist on concealment. Though tactically if you are concealed you probably should stay that way. However there is absolutely nothing against the law about it in regards to our Tennessee members, carrying in Tennessee.

I do tend to agree with earlier statements that you should try and not print if you are carrying concealed. It does seem to make people less nervous knowing you have a gun than thinking you have agun because it is obviously printing or visible, but you seem to be attempting to hide it. Never the less nothing against the law about it.

I have always said poor concealment can draw more attention that OC.

Will the only reason I address some of your post is that you don't always refrence you are talking about NC where you are. (Not everyone will look to see your location) So I just try to clarify the way it is in TN.

I wish I did live in Tennessee! Great state! Good people. I go back to Tennessee every year to visit but the Research Triangle Park is where the money is for me. It's suburban hell. I have to shoot INDOORS! I hate big cities. I took my wife to San Fransico and I just about feaked out. Could not get out of there soon enough.

Edited by Will Carry
Guest The Highlander

Will, in Tennessee, our permits are NOT concealed carry permits. They are HCP's or Handgun Carry Permits. The word "concealed" isn't even on them, and as far as I know, isn't in the law. I don't worry about printing going about my daily business, but I do everything I can to stay concealed.