Anyone shot the new LCR .357?

trblmkr13

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't shot the .357, but can give you my impressions on "either" side, having owned and carried the .38 LCR and still own and carry the bigger brother, a .357 SP101 with 2.25" barrel

Use rough numbers:

.38 LCR is is 7oz lighter than the .357 LCR (13 vs. 20) the SP is 6oz heavier @ 26oz.

The .38 LCR is not uncomfortable to shoot with the Hogue Tamer grips with 125gr +p JHP, but not "fun"

130gr FMJ, a little more fun, but again, the LCR is not really a range gun.

The SP can be handful depending on the .357 round you choose, but very comfortable, controllable and fun with .38spl and .38+p

I think the .357 LCR with .38+p would be a nice combo.

Regarding LCR grips, I haven't seen many choices other than the Hogue Tamer, Hogue Boot (smaller) and C.T.

Guest Law of Thirds

Honestly, if you know you'll only end up putting .38 +p's in it, why go for the .357? And according to Ruger's website, it's 13oz vs 17oz. I'm guessing it will be about the same as using a S&W 340 or other similar airweight .357. The only reason I could see for the .357 vs the .38 (if you're only going to shoot .38's) is if they've fixed that freakin' rattle the LCR has.

Honestly, if you know you'll only end up putting .38 +p's in it, why go for the .357? And according to Ruger's website, it's 13oz vs 17oz. I'm guessing it will be about the same as using a S&W 340 or other similar airweight .357. The only reason I could see for the .357 vs the .38 (if you're only going to shoot .38's) is if they've fixed that freakin' rattle the LCR has.

I have wondered about this myself. I would also like to know how much the ballistics would vary between 38+p and a .357 out of a snub nose. It seems to me the ballistics would be negligible without a longer barrel.

BBTI - Results

Although "pistol" ballistics will vary from revolver ballistics here is one look at .38 vs .357.

Based on the 2" barrel data given above, you get approximately a 26% more muzzle energy with a .357. The energy difference increases to 38% with a 4" barrel and 50% with a 6" barrel. The difference with a 12" barrel is also 50%.

So that tells me that you're only getting half the possible benefit of using .357's in a snubby. The rest of the energy is lost as muzzle blast.

Guest hoss6175

I have not shot the 357 in the lcr but i have shot the 38 and it's like no other 38 I have ever shot before because of all the weight in the handle there is very little recoil. My dad bought the 38 for his girlfriend to carry and she ran about 40 or 50 rounds through it and had no problem with it and she's not a big woman. I like the thought of 2 different calibers 357 and 38 if you can't find one than maybe you can find the other

Guest Sgt. Joe

The only way I would have shot one is if I had won one in their sweepstakes and that did not happen. I have enough trouble holding on to my SP-101 with 357 loads.

I figure shooting a 357 LCP would be "Shoot gun.....Go find gun and then shoot again"

I have the LCR 38+p, have 500 rds through it, and am impressed. I've carried a model 60 for 25 years, and out of the box the LCR has a much nicer trigger pull and less felt recoil. Very good BUG.