.38 Super - Questions?

jitdc

I'm fairly new to handguns and have been trying to research and learn as much as possible. So I asked myself, "does someone make a .38 special semi-auto?" Couldn't find any but I found the .38 super. What is the difference between the .38 special and .38 super, in terms I can understand and why is there not a semi-auto in .38 special? Not saying one should be made, just wondering why not? Just a few questions from a newbie.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It's because of the rim. 38S is a semi rimmed round allowing for better extraction. 38 special is a fully rimmed case that will cause problems for an extractor (to get the right tension). Then there is 38SC or super comp which is rimless like a 9, 40, 45acp etc.

I have seen semi autos built in 38 special but to get them to run can be tricky to say the least.

JIT:_______________

....What is the difference between the .38 special and .38 super ...

RE: your question. Others have answered the 38 special vs 38 super rim question very well; so i wanted to give you a bit of history regarding the super.

The 38 super is (...as others have pointed out in previous posts...) a "sooped up" version of the old colt 38 acp. The fact is that colt developed the super in the late 20's or early 30's in an attempt to produce a high velocity round (...remember, the 357 mag didnt come along until about 1935...) that would not bounce off the sheet metal of the old cars that the new breed of hoodlum were driving like the old 45 acp sometimes would. Colt's answer was the 38 super which had a nominal bullet weight of about 130 grains and a muzzle velocity of about 1300 fps. This was quite an advance for those times. The pistol was based on the tried and true full size 45 acp design and many folks took to it. I believe that even the FBI used them for a time (... but i'm not sure...). The super would, indeed, shoot thru the old cars (...and anything else it needed to...) with ease. Thompson even made some 38 super "tommy guns".

The super was laid in the shade due to the development of the 357 magnum just a few years later; but was revised by the ISPC shooters, and that's a good thing. The original supers had some accuracy problems; but that, too, has been solved by the newer guys. The super is a great caliber with lots of power, accuracy, and a calmed down recoil when used in a full size 1911 type pistol.

The super is a great view into the past and a great low recoiling caliber for those who like the 1911 style pistol.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

leroy

the Original .38SPLs for Bullseye shooting were "wadcutter" guns back when the US Military had .38 in the supply line it was found that it produced less recoil for the "2700" aggregate matches where you fired 3 900 point matches 1 with a .22LR 1 with a centerfire gun ( usually a revolver and usually double action) and the third with a 1911 in .45ACP for a total of 2700 points now a days I believe they use modified 9mm for centerfire as the Air Force were the last to still use the .38and have stopped..

Gunsmiths such as Clark Sr. Giles and Day set a .38Spl barrel in a 1911 and to make them work used mid-range "flush seated" wadcutters, viewed from the side the casing looks empty they work fine because the rim from the round above sets forward of the rim below in the magazine,.much like the .303 Enfields the British Military used for over 100 years the reason the .38SPL guns and the S&W M-52 only hold 5 rounds is simple... Bullseye matches only load 5 rounds at a time... their "finnickyness" is due more to the tight tolerances to milk out the potential accuracy than the actual cartridges rim.

My S&W M-52 left the factory with a 2" @50Yds. (Machine Rest) Guarantee as all of them did and after adjusting the load it works almost flawlessly but your reloads better be the best you can make because these guns will show ANY error and their reputation will remove any "excuses" you can give to your shooting buddies that are gun related..

the .38Super is semi-rimmed and you want to make sure if you have an older .38ACP or Super.38 that loads meant for an IPSC racegun don't find their way anywhere near those old timers.. think classic car and drag racing car IPSC .38Super is wayy hotter requiring custom barrels and such to contain the pressures and velocities of .357 Mag. levels..

Welcome to the Forum,.

John