anybody in the air national guard?

my82cam

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do it! That's all I can say lol I have a few friends that went in and a cousin that's still in. They all loved it and got something out of it. I was Army Guard and I'm not saying that each branch doesn't give you something to take away with you, but I think the Air Force has more options job wise that will translate back to the civilian world. It really depends on what YOU are looking to do.

well, i already have a great job and a wife and 2 kids. i wouldn't mind taking some business classes at some point, and i believe they would pay for it. i was talking with one of my customers after i fixed his jeep, and he said they need mechanics in the motor pool at the nashville airport. the airport is very close to me and i could use the insurance benefits. lol i enjoy working on new stuff and think it would be fun and brake up the normal reutine of working on the same cars day after day. just wanted some feed back from people that have done it.....

Guest Armgdnman

Don't go into thinking that you won't be deployed. Having been in myself, when my squadron made deployment rosters for the first time all the scum bags lined up saying, "I just joined the guard to have them pay for school". Don't be that guy.

Guest Sgt. Joe

Go Young man GO:):D:)

I have served in the Army Guard in three different states and could go on for hours about that particular branch but all in all if I could go back and do it all again...?... I would have went Air Force all the way same as my dad. I think joining the Army instead was sort of a rebellious kick by me as most of my family are Air Force folks.

The college benefits are going to be the same I would expect and were awesome when I left the Guard in 08, it was free tuition, books and a little extra pay.

Another good thing about the AF is that when they do deploy it is for shorter time periods than the Army and usually cooler places.;)

The written benefits are one thing but it is hard to explain the Pride and camaraderie that one feels as part of such a group, you will meet and get to know folks of all walks of life through the guard that you otherwise would have never met. I feel like the Guard is one of the smartest and best things a young family man can do for himself and his family and our Country these days.

The Drill Pay is pretty decent for a few days a month and the free life insurance and you get to learn a new trade......Gee.... see I can go on and on.....

I would give the Left One to still be in the Guard but life had a different plan that forced a medical on me after Iraq.

I would still do it all again in a Heartbeat!!!!!

GO GO Guard

Feel free to PM me if you have anymore questions Good Luck and God Bless Young man:D

I served in the ANG after I got out of the Navy. There is a war going on; I wouldn’t join anything thinking I won’t be deployed.

Why not go full active duty? You can join the Navy or Air Force and if you qualify you can be guaranteed a school after boot. Get a trade you can use when you get out.

Guest Sgt. Joe
i guess just general insurance for me and my family. sgt joe, thanks for the info, you have a PM!

Answered PM.....The life insurance is awesome and isnt free as I stated but is like 4 or 5 bucks a month taken out of your check so it may as well be......

When I was leaving they were setting up a deal for Guard folks to buy regular health insurance also. As best we could tell at the time it was going to take most all of ones drill pay to pay for it each month, but when you think about it that is still a pretty good deal.....two days a month for year around health insurance for the family.

I dont know if they ever got it going on or not but would expect that they have. You can still call me as you asked but your recruiter is going to be way more up to date on stuff. Also being in Nashville there are tons of close by opportunities with the Army Guard if care to look that way.

I would still keep the Air Guard #1 though simply for shorter deployments because as has been said chances are you will be deployed in these days and times.

And man you gotta make sure your wife is ready for all that also......There is no tougher job in the world than that of a Military spouse.

I served in the ANG after I got out of the Navy. There is a war going on; I wouldn’t join anything thinking I won’t be deployed.

Why not go full active duty? You can join the Navy or Air Force and if you qualify you can be guaranteed a school after boot. Get a trade you can use when you get out.

i have already gone through college and is paid for and have a great job. i guess there are better jobs out there but right now mine is pretty good! i could handle being deployed, and i think my wife could as well.

Guest Sgt. Joe

Man if you already have a college degree you need to be talking to them about becoming an Officer rather than an enlisted person. Way better pay jobs and responsibilities...........Another one of those "If I could do it all again" things as I had my chance and turned them down.

well, i been a mechanic since i was 13 working at my dads garage full time, even quit basketball so i could work. i have gone through the diesel college and have several ase certifications. i don't know if that qualifies as officer material. lol i will talk with them and see what they say. i am still working at my dad's garage but business is great and the pay is pretty darn good, plus the access to the garage for side work is great.

well, i been a mechanic since i was 13 working at my dads garage full time, even quit basketball so i could work. i have gone through the diesel college and have several ase certifications. i don't know if that qualifies as officer material. lol i will talk with them and see what they say. i am still working at my dad's garage but business is great and the pay is pretty darn good, plus the access to the garage for side work is great.

Still Go Officer, you'd fit right in as a maintenance officer. I'm retired AF, got my degree while I was still In. Used much of my GI bill for Flight school to get my pilot's license. Had I to do it over, I would have completed my degree before and joined as an Officer. Any way. . . GO FOR IT!!!

my82cam,

I would recommend the ANG completely. I am currently a medical officer attached to the 134MDG in Knoxville, but live in Nashville. I love the group of folks I serve with. I was prior active duty AF and think the TNANG is the best kept secret in the military. The benefits, pay, and travel are all great reasons to join, but none should be the primary reason to do so. It sounds like you have already gotten a good amount of feedback from others here, but pm me with any other specific questions you may have, particularly about any medical career fields you may be considering. Good luck with your decision.

Man, if you're reasons are right, I say go for it! I tried a couple of years ago to get in the unit here in Memphis after getting my civilian career stabilized, but they wouldn't let me slide with my blood pressure problems. I regret not going in right after high school before the medical issues crept in. Best of luck with it if you decide to do it!

well, i called and spoke with them last night, they said they don't have any positions available. i thought that was kind of odd, he said he could put my name on "the list" and when someone retires or there is an opening he may call me. i didn't think it went down like that, but i may still go check it out and put my name on the list. i figured if you wanted to get into it you could just sign right up, not sure i wanted to wait 5 or 10 years.

Guest Armgdnman
well, i called and spoke with them last night, they said they don't have any positions available. i thought that was kind of odd, he said he could put my name on "the list" and when someone retires or there is an opening he may call me. i didn't think it went down like that, but i may still go check it out and put my name on the list. i figured if you wanted to get into it you could just sign right up, not sure i wanted to wait 5 or 10 years.

There is an up side and a down side to going ANG. The upside is, you get to choose your duty station (where you get to drill). The downside is, if the unit you are wanting to join is at 110% manning then you can't get in. Each squadron within a wing has a set number of slots available and when they're full, you're out in the cold. If you dont mind travelling a little bit, look into other units. The 134th in Knoxville is a pretty good one. Call over there and ask for Bart Welch.